SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlhart76

December 2020 Week 1

jlhart76
3 years ago

Taking liberty to start the December thread. Let the countdown to Christmas begin!
Only garden related activities I can think of is taking advantage of all the black Friday seed sales.

Comments (86)

• hazelinok
    3 years ago

I'm thawing some Seminole pumpkin puree from last year. About to make some pumpkin bread.

Winter squash didn't do well for me. I tried so hard to destroy squash bugs...and even the SVB got into a few of the C. Moschata squash. It was rough. Rough enough that I'm not growing squash next year in any form. Glad those Seminole pumpkins form LAST year are still solid so that I can use them up this winter. That is impressive, huh?

Sweet potatoes. My ground is clay. Can I grow sweet potatoes in clay? I know they won't get as big or wonderful as they would in better soil...but because I'm not doing winter squash in 2021, I would love to try a row of sweet potatoes. We've amended the soil a tiny bit--just starting this year so it has a ways to go. Anyway...anyone have thoughts on sweet potatoes and clay soil? George, I'll check out your link later tonight.

Amy, I really only like a few things in a raw salad as far as greens go. Lettuce, of course. Arugula and spinach. Other greens need to be "baby greens". Too many are chewy and tough, although I like most of them cooked a lot. Kale is one of those that I like cooked unless it's chopped very small in a chopped type of salad. The malabar spinach is good cooked...and if you get the leaves when they're very small, a few are okay in a cold salad...according to my tastes.

This week's thread is full of good stuff. I'm just unable to give it as much time as I would like. I don't want to whine....but so much going on in my life. So much. Needs to stay off the internet.

Lots of good stuff with the stressful.

Take care, Friends.

• Larry Peugh
    3 years ago

Jennifer, I would say, go for it, the best production I have ever gotten was from a flower bed that had very little amendments. Some years ago Madge had medical problems and though that she would never be able to tend flowers again. She GAVE me her flower bed to plant. I did not want to fool with flowers, so I bought some sweet potato plants and planted them in that flower bed. I have a worx 1200 4 wheel wagon, I could not get all my sweet potatoes on that wagon.

My soil is hard and tight, especially about sweet potato harvest time, even in my garden. This was a few years ago and my soil is a little better now, but still tight and shallow. Anyway I planted my sweet potatoes and mulched them very well. At digging time most of the best potatoes were in the mulch. They were smaller and shaped better. The same thing happens about every year. A lot of the potatoes under the main plant get too large, plus there is a city of gophers living under my sweet potato section of my garden and they tunnel to the main plant and start feeding. I suppose they keep feeding in that area all summer long and don't go out and look for the stray sweet potatoes.

My largest problem with sweet potatoes is I am just not man enough to dig them by hand, I have to use the tractor to plow them out of the ground. I am planing on moving my sweet potato area this year.

• Related Discussions

Recipes for Christmas II - Week 1 December 2013

Q

Comments (20)
    I got this recipe years ago, but I can't remember where except that it seems that it was in California in a grocery store. Please try it, you won't be sorry. FRUITCAKE HATER'S FRUITCAKE 2 cups soft butter 2 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar 1 cup honey 10 eggs 4 cups flour 2 t cinnamon 2 t baking powder 1 t ground allspice 3/4 t salt 2 1/2 lbs glazed apricots, sliced 1 lb pecan halves 1 1/2 lbs pitted dates, sliced 1 lb raisins 1 cup apricot nectar 1/2 cup light cream 1 T lemon juice 1 cup brandy 1/4 cup orange flavored liqueur In a large bowl cream together butter, brown sugar and honey. One at a time add the eggs beating well after each addition. Into another bowl, sift together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, allspice and salt. Then stir half the mixture into the sugar, egg mixture. In remaining flour, dredge apricots, pecans, dates, and raisins. In a bowl combine nectar, cream and lemon juice. Add this to the mixed batter, then fold in the nut, fruits and flour mixture. Butter and flour 4 9X5 loaf pans. Evenly divide the batter between the loaf pans. Bake at 250 for 2 1/2 - 3 hours. Remove from oven and pans to cool. In a bowl combine brandy and liqueur. Sprinkle each loaf with 1/4th of this mixture and let stand 1 hour. Wrap well in foil and let season in the refrigerator for at least 1 week. Edited to correct spelling. This post was edited by walnutcreek on Wed, Dec 4, 13 at 12:48
    ...See More

August 2020, Week 5-September 2020, Week 1

Q

Comments (63)
    Yay for the violets, Nancy! And...you still have summer squash? The bugs killed ours long ago. Even the C. Moschata. I am pooped. So tired. We shopped today and I don't have to tell anyone that shopping is very unpleasant right now. However, Dillards allows you to try on clothes and I found a dress. It's not exactly the bohemian/fairy princess dress that I wanted. But it fits nicely and its a forest green color...and it's Robin Hoodish (not really), so I bought it. Paid more than what I wanted to pay, but it's done. DONE! Came home around 3 and sliced, breaded and froze okra. Then figured out how to use my pressure canner as a water bath canner and pickled some okra. On my own. The lids sealed so hopefully we're good. My house is getting to the point that I am very unhappy. I know a clean house isn't the most important thing in the world....but I enjoy a clean home. It just feels nice to me. However, a clean house isn't anywhere in my near future. I am hoping the robot vacuums are cheap this Christmas. That will at least help. We are celebrating Mason's BD tomorrow and that will be fun. It's at a very good restaurant that I haven't been to in a long time. Then grocery shopping and then maybe starting more lettuce seed. In between all of those things is animal care. Lots of animal care. There's always one of them doing something they shouldn't be doing or somewhere they shouldn't be hanging out. One of the fat buff orpingtons has figured out how to get out of the chicken yard. And she isn't swift. She is dumb--beautiful but dumb and wanders over by the dogs. So, I'm constantly leaving whatever task I'm working on to catch her or entice her back to the yard. And everyone is always hungry all the time. The 3 young pullets mingled with the main flock today. It went very well. Having a good rooster helps with that. They're roosting in their own coop, though. It will be a gradual thing as always. Momma Blossom will be tired of her chicks soon and those two chicks will need to move to the pullet coop at that time. Although, at least one of those chicks is a cockerel. Tom may or may not start doing meat birds and these two could be the start of it. They won't be THE meat birds, but they might be the parents of. I've named the one I think is a girl. Her name is Gwendolyn, which is sorta funny because Gwendolyn (actually related to Jennifer/Guinevere.) means white ...and Gwendolyn is a dark cornish. I'm simply rambling now.
    ...See More

December 2020, Week 2

Q

Comments (78)
    Hi! We hung our onions under the shop porch. They didn't last very long but looked cool hanging there. When I've brought them indoors and kept them in pantyhose, they've lasted much longer. We are going to try the copra this year (and others too). I've chopped onions and put them in the freezer since growing them. Chopped while wearing safety goggles. Those feed lots in Nebraska are nasty. My Dad is from Nebraska and when we visit relatives we often drive past the feed lots. The smell is awful. I guess we don't do that in Oklahoma? I only see cattle out on grass here. It was interesting reading y'all's thoughts about eating meat, sugar, etc. Do any of you follow Bad Baxter. She is certain that mainly eating animal products (meat, eggs, milk, butter, cheese, etc.) is the healthiest way to eat. And those animals need to be fed a certain way--no grain and whatnot. To her, veggies are a condiment. And even then, the veggies need to be homegrown/local/organic. Bread, pasta, rice are completely out. Honestly, I think different bodies do well with different eating styles. I strictly followed Eat Right for Your Blood Type for awhile. My metabolism was revved and I felt great. Blood type A is supposed to be mainly vegetarian...vegan even. I'm not sure I believe in that "diet"...but I did feel wonderful eating that way. Bad Baxter believes that things like black beans are just sugar and not good for the body. Stuff like that. I agree with her on many things but not everything. There could be some truth to the blood type diet really. I meant...there is a difference in our blood...so why wouldn't it affect things like diet. Type O is supposed to be a meat eater. Anyway... Yes. I miss Dawn. Remember the year she started her tomatoes in December? She would be bagging up jars of salsa and then cookies (last year). And decorating and doing all the things she liked to do for the holidays. Nancy, her younger animals gave her some grief too...especially their newest pup. Gosh..what is his name? She named him after her elderly neighbor that passed just a few months prior to her death. Jesse? I think it's Jesse. He was a mess and she couldn't get anything done, remember? And then all those kittens that she had last Christmas. They kept destroying her Christmas tree. haha. Yep. She loved them all though. I moved Wynnie to the big coop tonight. I shopped today. Everyone was wearing masks and doing what they're supposed to do.
    ...See More

December 2020, Week 3

Q

Comments (62)
    Must be your mini-Aussie, too. Wait--do you have two of them? HJ--my son Wade--his birthday is Dec. 29, so when you mentioned Ethan's upcoming, I had to know! You understand. Wade was also 3 weeks early! Larry and Danny, no exactly a fool for paying too early here, but Amy can attest to my wild freakout session the other day about when I totally accidentally ordered the wrong $100-item from Kitchenaid. Showed the picture of a bright shiny red mixer (with an attachment) I had already been looking at and priced, for app. $95.00. I almost fainted! The sale was for a very limited time so I signed in and bought it on the spot, without looking at the TEXT that the sale was for the attachment only, about 5 minutes later. I quick tried to contact them--they gave only two options for contact, either live chat or phone number. I tried live chat first--when it said my wait time was an hour, then called. I was on hold for 4 hours and on live chat hold for those same 4 hours. I was NEARLY ballistic then. I got the nicest customer service gent ever, a fella from Kentucky. He was GREAT. I quickly told him the problem, he laughed, said he'd fix it. Well of course, he came back on the line and said he was so sorry but the item was already in the shipping dock. Nothing he could do. So he'd send me a Fed Ex label and when the item arrived, I could send it back with the label, and then they'd process the refund. It should "only" take about six weeks. I absolutely lost it. Cussed a couple times loudly. Cussed out the company. He stuck with me, let my tantrum play out. In the end I apologized profusely to HIM, but told him if he cared to pass it on, if Kitchenaid valued stockholders' profits and CEO's salaries more than customer service (he had told me with Covid 19 they had let a tremendous number of customer service reps go--how stupid was THAT--they could have made a killing with online sales, yet weren't farsighted enough to realize that, so just cut the bottom line work force), then they could count on me to never ever ever order a Kitchenaid item. Well, the next day I explored alternate mixers. . . there really isn't a great alternate. Further, I was SO ashamed of myself for losing my temper. I failed on so many levels that day. And there's this. When so many people are hit SO hard financially because of Covid 19, here I am thinking I "need" a $300 stand mixer. So multiple lessons learned that day. I can wait the ornery 6 weeks or so for my refund (by the way, I don't know who my nice customer service person sent the Fed Ex label to but it wasn't to me. . . . . . LOL all I could do at this point was laugh.) And in fact, I decided to use whatever excess money I might have to cook up meals for folks. Not trying to appear to be a good person; just trying to encourage all of you to do the same. My buddies/the directors of Lincoln--now have Covid 19. I'm not surprised--I'm only surprised they didn't get it earlier. But it's especially sad now, because they are such traveling emissaries to all the disadvantaged and poor families in town. (And those folks are suffering mightily $$$ and in terms of risks.) They know them all and know where they all live--no one else does. I asked them this evening when we talked, if I could get some addresses for a couple of those, and who else I should deliver to. . . they suggested 4-5 others. I agreed--they'll send me the addresses. Such a blow right at Christmas time. And of course, I'm so worried about my friends. Covid 19 is creeping in closer to all of us, I think. My kids up in Mpls, a family of 4. Their daughter doesn't live at home, but at age 21, with her boyfriend. Out of those 5 folks, 4 of them have had Covid since Thanksgiving. Granddaughter is the only one who didn't yet. DIL sounds worrisome. . . high BP, headaches still, lethargy (she's normally the most energetic person I know.) This Christmas season is especially important to me this year, with so many people hurting. Nothing could make me feel better than to ease the burden a tiny bit for them. God bless us all.
    ...See More
  • HU-422368488
    3 years ago

Larry , I guess me and Jennifer will have a go at sweet potatoes. I 've grown them before. One time I remember my mom grew some that was spectacular but haven't since.

• OklaMoni
    3 years ago

I guess, I will have to do some searching for the answer.... My sweet potato in the pantry has sprouted. Is it to early to put them in water to make slips?

Oh, never mind... of course it is to early... but can you keep slips going till planting time?

Moni

• Macmex
    3 years ago

Yes, one can grow sweet potatoes in clay. I'll paste in a link on Oklahoma Red, which is a variety which was developed for heavy soils. When it comes to amendments, the only amendment I really want for my sweets is compost/mulch. Too much nitrogen causes them to produce more leaves and less roots.

I've heard that in Hawaii they traditionally raised sweet potatoes in irrigated lava.

If you can hill (ridge) your soil before planting, that will make digging easier. One makes a ridge about 8-10" tall and plants the slips right on top. They, then, sink their roots deeply, seeking moisture. Those first roots going down are probably going to be the best sweet potatoes produced.

Making the hill is probably the most work of the whole process, followed by digging the harvest. In between, there's not a lot to do, except I water deeply once a week.

https://seedsavingnetwork.proboards.com/thread/434/oklahoma-red-sweet-potato

• Larry Peugh
    3 years ago

I want to move some of my sweet potato beds to the wildlife garden. I want to try hilling by using my middle buster attached to my small tractor. For the ones that dont know what a middle buster is, it is a one shank plow that will make a furrow about 10 or 12 inches wide and 3 -6 inches deep. With the soil piled up along the side furrow, the furrow looks much deeper than it really is, but it does make a pretty good planting area along the top of the ridge, but it makes it even more important to keep the area mulched and watered. I will space the rows to where the tractor wheels will run in the bottom of the furrow between the rows. I have never grown sweet potatoes this was because it is so hard for me to change implements on the tractor, and I grow such a small area of sweet potatoes, but my neighbor and I are going to work together this year, I have more equipment than he has, but he is much younger and stronger than I am. I plan on working the soil and starting the plants and he will do most of the work where walking and lifting is involved. I got some Oklahoma Red potatoes from George, they are the ones I want to try in the wildlife garden, (with an electric fence).

• Macmex
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Moni, with sufficient light, which is moderate, you can keep slips going all winter. You may want to trim the roots off and start new Roots when you plant, but other than that it should be fine.

They would be even happier if you pot of them with some potting soil.

• Larry Peugh
    3 years ago

Here is a picture of where I drug the vines off of my sweet potatoes this year.

Below is a picture of the soil after the sweet potato vines were pulled off. My soil is often very hard, this year not quite as hard, but still too hard for the potatoes to get down into the soil, most were right on top of the soil, but I still plowed about 5" deep to get more potatoes. You can see at the top right corner an area that I started new this year. This is where I hope to have some of the Oklahoma Reds growing next year. I wont plant a lot there, only enough to save a good supply of seed stock. This is in my south garden, which is in my lawn where I can keep the plants watered and watch them more closely.

I dont know how I did this, but ignore the top picture, some way I got it to post twice, and I dont know how to remove it.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    3 years ago

Sweet potatoes in fabric bed.

Shortly after they were planted. 3 varieties. Bed is about 5' in diameter.

I think we got a good crop for that amount of space. George, is it ok to store them under the bed?

First pic is about a week before we harvested, which was October 10. I don't know why the middle pic is blurry. I think they were planted in late June and middle pick is early July.

Yep, I'm ready for spring, lets go! Ron had to go to Harbor Freight yesterday. He got 5 50' soaker hoses for under $10 each. Go stock up now! Are they any good at that price? We had 5 hoses last year, some were bought on line for way more. I think 3 were harbor freight hoses. We had one break, though you can't tell them apart, so I don't know what broke. But it's cheap enough I don't care. Maybe I can set one up in front this year. You'll notice a hose on the sweet potato bed. That was an old hose, shortened by many repairs, that Ron drilled holes in for that bed. It worked nicely.

Moni, my mother used to grow sweet potato as a house plant. In one of the threads George posted someone commented their slips were already too long. George said to cut them off and reroot the cuttings. (He uses a "rooting" medium, not water). He said you don't want a big rootball because those, I forget exactly what he said, don't make good potatoes.

H/J, if you can deal with the juicyness of Malabar spinach, you would probably like Jewels of Opar or purslane. Both have somewhat succulent leaves, but not as juicy as Malabar. Remember to take care of your self!

Larry, I'm sure nothing kills Johnson grass and Bermuda, but we have a drainage ditch on the east side, maintained (more or less) by the city. The Johnson grass comes through the fence. I tried having flower beds along the fence, but gave up because I couldn't maintain them. It would be very satisfying to burn that crap up. I don't know if you're allowed to use a torch like that in town. Ron's afraid he would burn poison ivy.

I'm afraid I'll loose my post, so TTFN.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    3 years ago

PS the bucket is about half the potatoes we got and it is a big bucket, maybe 25 gal.

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    3 years ago

I love sweet potatoes. But I seem to be the only one who does. We had a beautiful crop at Lincoln, and few takers. Garry doesn't eat them. I need to grow them at Lincoln anyway, if for no other reason, the lovely foliage. Your Oklahoma Reds looked great, George. When will the slips be ready for us to order? So Jerreth prefers the Red Wine Velvets. . . because of taste?

This WAS a rough year for you. I am so sorry.

HJ, I'm partial to baby greens, too. And spinach, my favorite green. I have quite a collection of many, however, including collards and kales, thanks to Amy, probably. I fell off the cliff today--not WAY off, but decided I needed to order Daikon, Tromboncino c. moschata squash, Chou Cheh watermelon (from SESE), and Jersey Giant, Beefsteak, Amy's Sugar Gem, and Arkansas Marvel tomatoes.

I got two packages of Contender green beans. I loved them last year, but didn't grow enough. Won't make that mistake again. Plan is half a dozen tomatoes. 3-4 peppers, watermelons, summer squash, the greens, cucumbers, and Daikon radishes. Not doing potatoes or onions this year, though I should have a nice bunch of garlic.

I used one of the weed torches on our front sidewalk, which is flagstone set in cement--only the cement is breaking down. I think Garry plans to tackle it at some point, since he got the cement. At any rate, it had many weeds and many clumps of crabgrass starting up. The torch took care of them nicely. I love the idea of taking the vines down with one.

Well, stay safe, everyone. Covid 19 is sort of exploding, huh.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    3 years ago

Why doesn't Garry like sweet potatoes? Are they too sweet? My favorite way to cook them is to cube them, drizzle with oil and roast with just salt and pepper. Not so sweet. And you don't cook them as long, so they don't caramelize and get sweeter.

Larry, I need to find some gutter pieces.

• Larry Peugh
    3 years ago

Amy, I maintain about a mile of fence with glyphosate, we also use it around the house, shop, and garden. I don't let Madge use it around the garden, she gets too wild with it. I am trying to teach her, that in some areas you just want a very small amount coming out the sprayer. I don't want it atomizing at all. By doing it that way I can get within 6" of a plant, but I don't use it inside of the garden, if I can keep the bermuda killed out around the garden, I have very little within the garden.

We have stored sweet potatoes in a closet on an outside wall and under the bed in a spare bedroom, both work, but under the bed works best for us, although this year we have had to use both spare bedrooms because we are trying to store winter squash, pumpkins, and sweet potatoes.

• Larry Peugh
    3 years ago

Amy, this is the type I use, this is just a short piece, they are easy to cut to the length you want. I use quite a few of these because they are stronger than most planting trays, and if you cut a piece of treated lumber to block the ends they last a long time, I have yet to wear one out. I have two somewhere around here that are cut to fit inside out kitchen window. Our window goes down almost to the floor, so I have to mount them up high enough to where our little yorkie can look under them to guard the front yard.

Try to get Ron to try sweet potatoes raw, that is my favorite way to eat them.

• hazelinok
    3 years ago

I'm about to head home and decided to look at this forum before leaving. I'm dreading the cold car. haha.

I'm considering leftovers for dinner so maybe I'll have time to play online tonight. I did see that Nancy you got some stuff from SESE. I looked there a couple of days ago and many things weren't yet in stock for 2021. Maybe they are now. I need to check.

• OklaMoni
    3 years ago

I found quite a few "tiny houses" at Will Rogers Gardens today. :)

• hazelinok
    3 years ago

I like those, Moni! I have a few places I want to eventually make little houses!

• OklaMoni
    3 years ago

Jennifer, right now is the perfect time to find some wood for it... there is some all along all the roads...

:)

Moni

• Larry Peugh
    3 years ago

I would like to get out and build some birdhouses, my saws are already set up on the covered deck, I guess I am just too lazy to do it. May thy to get out after I rest a while, I have been grocery shopping.

• luvncannin
    3 years ago

Grocery shopping wears me out. The other day I tried but big fail I left the store without my purchases. I just couldn’t take anymore mask music and chemical air freshener.

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    3 years ago

Hi HJ. It looked like SESE was out of a LOT of seeds--they just happened to have the ones I wanted. Good luck.

Kim. . . do you have any stores where you can order online and then pick up? We've been shopping at Walmart (our only grocery store here) since last March. I've gotten spoiled--I'll probably never go back to in-store shopping.

And speaking of grocery stores. . . I asked this on FB; I'll ask you all, too. What are your favorite kinds of Christmas cookies?

That's what I'm doing today--not making them, but rather trying to decide WHAT to make.

Danny, I made the sausage rolls. . . I wasn't crazy about the sausages I'd gotten--they weren't at all jalapeno-ish. Otherwise they turned out fine. And I did use extra cheese. I much preferred them to the bakery-bought ones, so I'll have to make them regularly.

Yep, Amy--GDW says they're too sweet. Now here's the thing. I LOVE sweet potatoes with added brown sugar! Having said that, I HAVE fixed them as you recommended. Nope, he still has trouble with them. As you know, he's a little picky. He likes good ole AMERICAN food. LOL

Okay, back to looking at cookies.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    3 years ago

Well, Nancy, grow them in a pot on your deck like ornamentals and sometime you make both kinds of potatoes. We do that sometimes. I won't eat brats (they don't agree with me). So occasionally he eats brats and I get something else.

Cookies. My favorite is called Mexican wedding cookies. (Sometimes it's other nationalities). You know, little shortbread cookies with powdered sugar that gets all over you when you eat them.

Kim, right now most stores do instacart. I haven't tried it, but I know online ordering at Walmart is way better than going inside.

I'm curious Nancy, does Garry like winter squash? We had acorn squash last night. I really love acorn squash and can't grow it because it is c. pepo. I like butternut, too, but my favorite will always be acorn. Does Garry like pumpkin pie? Maybe make him sweet potato pie. And don't let him tell you it's unAmerican, it's a SOUTHERN thing. My son won't eat pumpkin, but loves sweet potato pie. I never made it, he learned about it in boot camp in South Carolina.

I'm hoping that seed companies just don't have new seed yet, but I wonder. Some places are sold out of things that are supposed to be new this year. So either they've already sold out or they haven't gotten seed yet.

Larry, I've considered herbicide for that fence line, but I'm already worried it is poisoned with something else. When we moved here, the previous owner had the area leveled so he could mow it and fruit trees planted just outside the fence. A plum and a peach died first. The rose bushes died next. Then the flipping city cut down the cherry trees. where I had my flower beds in one bed perennials just didn't last. The comfrey growing there never got as big as it should have and things I was told couldn't be killed did not survive. So I'm afraid of adding to it and don't grow anything edible there.

I hope you like tromboncino, Nancy. I didn't think it had much taste. It does have an interesting shape.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    3 years ago

Larry, I know you've grown millet. The description for purple majesty millet on Fedco's website said this. "some cuts left in their packing shed for a few days turned solid yellow with pollen that had an odor like burnt antifreeze." Does all millet pollen smell bad or just this variety? It was too expensive to buy, but it made me curious.

• Larry Peugh
    3 years ago

Amy, I don't really like herbicide, but am not able to keep the fence row clean any other way. I tried paying a young man to clean it the first time it was cleaned. It cost several times as much as it does for me to use glyphosate. I try to keep a little of different kinds of herbicide on hand to deal with aggressive vegetation, Honey Locust is my number one enemy, but it is too tough for glyphosate, it will sort of keep it beat down, but I am not sure I have ever killed any out with it, it seems as though I have to fight it in the same spots each year. Some of it may be coming up from seed, but I am sure all of it not. As I set here thinking, I really have made some headway with the Honey Locust, but it has been slow and a lot of work.

I had a cow in two of my gardens last night, I have fewer beets today, but thing may just now be starting. There is not a lot of green vegetation now for the cows, and maybe those garden plants really look good. I may be creating a monster by having that trial strip planted across the lawn. Maybe I should go mow it and use it for mulch for the onions and garlic.

• Larry Peugh
    3 years ago

Amy, I have not noticed millet smelling any different than anything else, within reason. I have only grown Pearl, Brown Top, and Fox tail. I have a 50# bag of Brown Top that I have not opened, if you would like to try some, I can stick some in the mail for you to try. I use it mainly for bird feed, it grows pretty short and has seeds that birds are crazy about, but it can be a problem. I have let some grow in the garden for the birds to eat. The birds cant eat all the seeds, then you have a much larger crop the next year.

• hazelinok
    3 years ago

Nancy, I make sugar cookies in December. My Dad always made Swedish Sugar Cookies. I miss him.

I like to make the ones that are less sweet because we ice them up. Normally we'll do sun shapes for Winter Solstice and use a variety of yellow icings and sprinkles, etc.

I also do simple chocolate chip. I rarely make cookies other times of the year. Other than cookies, we do the almond bark pretzels and "puppy chow". Those are the traditional things. I really like the marshmallow cream fudge, but I'm the only one and I can't eat an entire pan of it myself. So...I stopped making it. Maybe I need to make it again.

I'm trying to plan the month around everyone's schedules. Planning includes meals. Normally we go out to see movies and have some dinners out too, during this season. But with Covid, it's more difficult. I guess I'll be cooking 3 meals a day from December 20 through December 27. Tom's sister and niece are coming into town.

I'm dealing with being SO sad right now. SO many changes. And I realize that I might feel better next week at this time...I've become aware in the past few years, that I get sad the week before the anniversary of Lane's death. Add to that Covid19 and the changes involving my daughter. And I won't even talk about my job situations that just truly suck.

The loss and sadness there is just...a lot. And Dawn isn't around to talk about her over-the-top Christmas decorating and whatnot. She had already done her Christmas shopping before she died. Does anyone else think that she knew?

Honestly, I might not buy seed until after Christmas--around December 27. It's just what it is. If I starve to death because I didn't jump on the seed purchasing, you all can say, "I told you to order it early." Although in WHAT world is December 27 late to order seed? Oh, a Covid year, maybe?

My chickens are doing okay. Not laying eggs right now. I had to buy a dozen of eggs for baking. I'm on the last half dozen of my own. I put back a few dozen...and the supply is at the end. Normally they'll start back in January. The young ones should start lying anytime.

The little rooster is hurt. He's about 20 weeks old and has a bad leg. I'm not sure what happened. I'm hoping it will heal. I would like to keep him if he gets along with the other roosters, but have a plan to take him to my neighbor who doesn't have a roo currently. If something is seriously wrong with him, I don't know.

I think I'll post a video here. It's one I've posted in the past at this time of year....Watch it, Y'all. Things come alive at the end of the video. It's such a pretty song...

"they say that things just cannot grow

beneath the winter snow

or so I have been told"

"I still believe in summer days

the seasons always change

And life will find a way"

• luvncannin
    3 years ago

Nancy my favorite is an old family recipe that is a sugar cookie but uses oil and powdered sugar. Very light and fluffy and sprinkle a tiny bit of colored sugar.

my new time favorite is peppermint melt away.

of course kiss cookies

and cut out cookies with gramas recipe. Well I give up there’s too many.

i used to make over 1000 cookies every year for gift baskets but everybody is too health conscious now.

• dbarron
    3 years ago

And of course, Nancy, the price is right for making a full 4 fresh home made sausage rolls for what? the price of 2? :)

I have to admit, I'm seasonally depressed too. It's been too cold to do things outside (or wet), so I've been house bound..and it gets old. The biggest thing to look forward to, is arriving packages, and well, they're not arriving because of the glut of online shopping during BF and CM. I'm not technically in any hurry to get my 16M color voice-activated lights, or the replacement refrigerator trays, but every day I have to go see if they've been shipped yet, and every day for the last week, the answer is no. In defense, the arrival estimate wasn't until Dec 8th, so they're certainly still possibly ontime (though looking less likely).

I like the winter squash line too (more than the summer ones). I think hubbard squash (if I'm remembering correctly), is a better pumpkin pie than pumpkin :) And acorn squash as a baked or boiled veggie is great (though umm I do like it with unhealthy amounts of sugar and butter). I was thinking earlier in the week, do I have room somewhere to try a few winter squash next year (siting being difficult because of how wet the yard can be till late summer, then bone dry, and everything in mowing path, etc).

I finally found my neighbor outside and had the discussion about cutting my trees. I think I laid it on thick enough that I would appreciate consultation next time he might decide to modify my landscape, while also saying that I really did plan on removing those trees and had bought a chainsaw in the last 2 weeks. The long and short of the conversation was that I found we had a lot in common. He also suffers from sleep disorders and seemed very nice (even if he did trespass and cut my trees).

• luvncannin
    3 years ago

Danny I am glad it worked out for the best but I would have freaked out if someone came on my property and did anything without permission.

• dbarron
    3 years ago

Me too, that's why it was good that I didn't talk to him the same day.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    3 years ago

H/J, if you can't get seeds you know everyone here would contribute some. I think there will still be seeds, just some varieties might be sold out. On the other hand Fedco says they aren't shipping seeds till Jan and some seeds on their site say they are "expected" Jan 1. Maybe the plague has made collecting and packing seeds take longer. You take care of yourself! We have compromised with take out, rather than restaurants a lot since March. You can do pick up and delivery for groceries, too. Find some ways to lighten the load.

All my kids have left the nest. Changes are hard. I also think the first year of sharing holidays with inlaws is hard to get used to. And of course you feel sad on the anniversary of Lane's death.

Danny I have S.A.D. every year. More than just the sunlight, I've always stressed about Christmas more than enjoyed it. My thing was we would get a live tree and decorate it. But Sasquatch the dog has put a damper on that. Since we got her it's been a tiny artificial tree on a console. It's ok, we used to have all the kids together for the tree event and it is sad when they're not here. maybe when the dog is older we'll do it again with grandchildren. However, I'm one of those BF CM shoppers and it has taken a lot of stress out of my life. I have a stack of boxes on the bench inside the door. I'm trying to convince Ron to save the boxes for compost and gardening. A couple of things may not get here in time, but they're minor.

I agree I would have (and have) freaked out over having trees removed without my permission. I will never forgive the city and the electric company for cutting down my trees.

We had a company come out for an estimate for putting bigger trees in the yard. He says they have 2" diameter trunks. They will do the digging. I think my husband decided we were too old to wait for sticks to grow, though I still want to plant the rusty blackhaw. I have had visions of how I'd handle the area under the trees.

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    3 years ago

Thanks for cookie input. I think all my new equipment is here now, so I can begin. I decided I needed new cookie sheets. And a scraper. And spatula. And cookie scoop. All ordered separately. So fun getting many packages rather than one. And yep, saving the cardboard.

Yes, ordering stuff online is one of my new favorite things. I'm a natural at it since I've hated shopping in stores for a lifetime. WITH the exception of book stores, art supply stores, nurseries, and quilt shops.

But online? All bets are off for what I can find to shop for!

Garry was out yesterday for multiple errands in Wagoner and Muskogee. I was SO happy not to be with him.

Yes, Danny, sausage rolls are our new favorite breakfast things. I DO wish I could find something like a crescent roll fridge dough that wasn't as sweet as they are. All's good--I have lots of tweaking to do on this.

I don't think I have any SAD, but I just don't like winter--defined as any weather too cold for me to be sitting out on the deck. So I get grumpy and out of sorts. Along with GDW and the three cats. Titan's in 7th heaven with the chilly weather. Tiny (little Mr. Butterscotch) loves to be out, and his orange winter fur coat is so thick, I expect he could withstand brutal temps better than most cats. But Tiny's problem is that he wants us to be out with him. I feel bad at being such a disappointment to him. I manage to go out at least once a day to do a walk-around, and he is just beside himself, keeping me company, especially if I throw handfuls of leaves or twigs.

I always think of Finbar and Pumpkin when I talk about Tiny. I've been wondering about Pumpkin and the other cats and dogs. I bet they all miss Dawn so much. I also think of Tim and Chris and family.

HJ, I always think of you in December. . . hugs. And whenever I see anything chicken-related. lol

Here's my cookie list--I best get into gear! I have armies of cookies to make. Sugar cookies, gingerbread boys and girls, white chocolate cranberry cookies, Death by chocolate cookies, oatmeal raisin, Mexican wedding cookies (aka snowball cookies, Russian tea cakes), and lemon cookies. Garry and I don't really eat sweets, but I expect we'll nibble on a few of them. He thought the triple chocolate cookies were not tasty. I thought they were to die for.

I'm bummed that you weren't crazy about the tromboncino, Amy. I may have to visit Kitazawa, because I love their summer squash.

Okay--off to bake. Have a great Saturday, all. (I got up late, 8:30, and thought it was Sunday. So I am way ahead of the game. I feel like I have a free day, time-wise.)

• dbarron
    3 years ago

Email from amazon, the lights and fridge trays are on their way (shipped about 10 am), and expected tomorrow. It always amazes me to see the postal employees drive up on Sundays with Amazon deliveries.

Then I will have to hope the lights setup easier than ones I put on porch last year...bad to no documenation.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    3 years ago

Nancy, in my opinion zucchini is bland tasting and tromboncino tastes like zucchini. When I ate an immature acorn squash after vine borers got the vine I adored it. I was hoping tromboncino would be a tasty winter squash with a knock your socks off immature taste. I found both bland, and it was not as vigorous as Kitazawa's summer squash. Now granted, it was only the 2nd year growing and the worst year for squash bugs and SVBs I ever had. That could have been the reason. It's big, or rather long. On the left, hanging down. I think those are ones we left to mature. I have a picture of one in front of my microwave. It was almost as long as the microwave was wide.

.Shortly after this, SVBs, SBs and a wind storm did the plant in.

• jlhart76
    Original Author
    3 years ago

HJ you're always welcome to come rifle through my seeds. Or if you send me a wishlist I'll keep an eye out in the swaps I'm doing. Same for all y'alls, I can't plant everything I have so I might as well share. My tomato list is getting into the ridiculousness category, and I've signed up for a tomato swap

• Larry Peugh
    3 years ago

Nancy, Jennifer, Here is the pet you need.

I was out in the lawn catching grass to use for mulch, I noticed buzzards flocking around something down by the creek, and a cow trying to chase them away. It was too far for me to walk, and much too far for me to run back. I was afraid a cow may have had a still birth and I wanted to check it out. I figured the safest place for me to be was on the tractor, so I drove the larger down neat the cow to check things out. After watching the calf for several minutes I saw it move its ear. I called my helper, who is the son of the guy that owns the cattle, he came down to check on the calf, but he was afraid to get close to the calf also. I think the calf is sick and needs help. I don't need cattle around because I worry too much about them.

When I was mowing the green strip across the lawn my ole buddy Mooch came up to the pasture fence, telling me how hungry she was, I had to dump two bags of green clippings over the fence for her, can you see how I make pest out of all the critters that come around?

I want to try more Oriental stuff, I have like most of the things I have tried. I did not care much for the Trombo...... what ever that is listed above, I thought they had a slight soapy taste, but I have liked the few different greens I have tried.

I have a small supply of mulch I have picked up with the mower, but I cant walk far enough to collect much at a time, but If I can save up 5 or 10 catcher bags of it, that will be enough for me to get started.

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    3 years ago

Ha! I love donkeys. I think a little donkey would fit here. Pretty sure Garry wouldn't agree. Larry, are you familiar with Kitazawa Seeds? Online Asian seed supplier. Amy introduced me to it, I think. I think that's where she gets many of her fancy greens. :) Okay--now you two have forced me to go to Kitazawa to get the summer squash, c.moschata Meot Jaeng I AE. This will be my third year of growing it. I will only grow one plant of it, since it was ridiculously productive. I actually probably don't even need to buy more, since my best one this last year was a volunteer, and I've no reason to think it won't happen again. I just went through all my seeds. The only thing I don't have is the summer squash. Well, not totally true. I have one seed. I have many many kale packets. And gobs of flower seeds I'd like to get rid of. Especially the milkweed seeds. I could send some to you, you could just toss them out in your gardens in time for stratification.

Got sugar cookies mixed up today later than I'd planned, so didn't get to begin baking them til after dinner.

• Larry Peugh
    3 years ago

Nancy, I have bought seeds from Kitazawa Seed, and liked the seeds and the service that I got. I think I will but some seed from them this year. Plants being too productive is a problem I have also. It is hard to only plant one or two plants, I am afraid a critter may eat them, then I plant too many, and nothing will eat them. and I hate pulling up plants.

The little donkey is cute, his mother and daddy are here also. That was his mother standing in front of him.

• Rebecca (7a)
    3 years ago

I ran errands this morning. Had to go to 2 grocery stores to get everything Mom and I needed. I don’t go into Walmart anymore. Too many people without masks, no precautions. I do curbside if I have to. Same with Target. Reasor’s has slacked on some precautions, but masks are good there. I feel safest at Sprouts and Trader Joe’s. I try to only go there. I won’t let my mom go in any store. She does everything curbside, delivery, or mail order. Or via me, lol. Even bought her holiday poinsettias from her sorority, and they did contactless drive thru pickup.

I’m not thinking about seeds yet, other than looking through whatever catalogs arrive. I’d be ok if I couldn’t buy any this year, but y’all know I won’t do that. I just have to get past the holidays first. I have tomato decisions to make. I’m not even done cleaning up this years garden yet.

I have my holiday kolacky in the freezer, ready to bake off right before Christmas. I made lots of tiny gingerbread cookies today. I can’t find the jar of peanut butter I bought for the peanut butter balls, which I was going to make the filling for today, and freeze. I’m doing shortbread, and something chocolate. Maybe something lemon. Italian almond cookies. Homemade caramels, turtles, and marshmallows. I’m contemplating marshmallow flavors now. Vanilla bean, chocolate, peppermint, and coffee are a given. I want to do a fruit flavor. Jack and coke and Baileys have been requested at work. Everything goes into cookie bags for family and friends.

HJ, the marshmallow fudge freezes well. So go ahead and make it.

• hazelinok
    3 years ago

Nancy, I also wonder about Dawn's pets. Honestly I probably did from Day 1. She stayed at home and was there to care for them--let them in and out. Tim leaves for work so early and gets home so late...so what do the dogs do? yeah...

I love that Tiny wants you to go outside with him. That is SO cute.

Amy, I know y'all would help me out with seed because you're good friends. Honestly, HU ordered enough seed already to plant every inch of the state of Oklahoma if necessary. LOL He'll share too. I WILL contribute...just need to get past the next few weeks.

The beautiful picture you tagged me in on FB...That is Merida from Brave. SHE is the princess I want to be. I used to have a poster of her on my wall at work. However, I am probably most like Belle. You know..."what Disney Princess are you?" type of tests. I'm absolutely sure it's Belle for me. Although, I want to be Merida. Brave was probably the last "kids" movie I saw with Ethan. He was maybe 10 then.

Jen, the tomato seed I got from you last year was amazing. I still have quite a bit of it. And...thanks! :)

Sweet little donkeys, Larry! We have one named Angel who lives next door. She often comes to the fence for treats and pats. And, I would be totally freaked out about a sick calf too! My little boy chick has a hurt leg and it makes me so sad. I hope he heals. I really don't know what's wrong with him. He still eats and drinks. Maybe he will heal up with rest and time.

Rebecca, I might just do that. Make the fudge and freeze if necessary. If there ever was a year for a treat...this is it.

I had a somewhat productive day. Won't talk about all of it, but am glad that the chicken coop is somewhat clean now. I missed the opportunity of scrubbing the walls and all. That should have been done 4 to 6 weeks ago. BUT, the pine shavings have all been removed and fresh ones put down. I love how fresh shaving smell!

And that's all from me. Tomorrow is a new week.

• Nancy Waggoner
    3 years ago

Rebecca, homemade caramels are the best! BUT what a pain to wrap! Do you have an easy way?

Also. . . nope our gardens didn't get cleaned out either. I'm not sweating it. There are so many things that are hardy and still going gangbusters. . . and also the mess in the gardens is good for nature.

Also--now I have some garlic that has sprouted also.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    3 years ago

Hmmm, I need to see if my garlic sprouted. I did a walk around when I took pictures and don't remember seeing any.

Chuckling, HU needs to tell us what he's covering Oklahoma with. we need inspiration. Kitazawa has a huge variety of greens. And brassica. Things that are similar to broccoli, but aren't. I don't suggest you grow them unless you know how to cook them. Pretty sure Madge would give you the stink eye Larry. It's called yu choi sum. If you cook it before it flowers it is yu choi and if you cook it with flowers it is yu choi sum. But anyway Larry, Kitazawa has a lot of, mustard greens.

You can eat broccoli leaves, and I grew some greens this year called spigarello lisca broccoli. I have to admit I didn't eat it, but I have tasted broccoli leaves before and wasn't offended. Anyway, those greens weren't bothered by bugs till late in the season and handled the heat just fine. I plan to grow more this year and actually try it out, LOL. I think its performance last year suggests it would be a good green for Oklahoma. I got them at Pine Tree I think. Pine Tree has interesting greens, too. Some are Asian. Misome, I like theirs. Fedco has greens to look at. Especially if you like mustard greens. I got Pink Lettucy gene pool in a package deal last year. It's pretty but I didn't eat it either.

Pine Tree does small amounts of seed for low prices. But Fedco and Victory and Southern Exposure may have the same thing with significantly more seeds for similar prices.

Rebecca I did walmart-like shopping on Amazon both last night and this morning. If I know I have a big enough order I'll go to Walmart.com and have it shipped. (Free over $50). The store has not had Lipton loose tea. I can't drink coffee any more, so I get my caffeine from tea. Loose tea is cheaper. (The British say we put tea powder into bags.) I wish I could keep Ron home more. He probably goes shopping to get away from me.

Nancy the Korean squash is a hybrid, so you could get something totally different if it self seeds this year.

I'm sorry about the calf. I assume you told the owner. Losing a calf can be the difference between profit for the year. Have I ever told the story of the calf with a broken leg that a friend of mine took in to his house to care for? His wife was against it of course. But he said that's $500 on 4 legs. Typical cowboy. Calf was supposed to stay in a utility room, but got out and explored the house. I guess the calf got better, I heard the story when still in progress.

Donkeys are cute, but too big for my place.

Jen, I quit seed swaps. Too many seeds I never used. But more power to you, you're a better woman than me to deal with swaps.

Sounds like the dog is out of the fence again.

• jlhart76
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I have to admit, I love swaps. There are some where you make trades with multiple people, then send everything to one person who sends them back to the recipients. That way you know exactly what you're getting. And the stuff I get that I won't grow I can then pass on to someone else.

• Larry Peugh
    3 years ago

I have never been to a swap, but, I have had some of people on this forum send me some of the best seeds/plants I have every grown. A couple of guys just left here with veggies, some of which George sent me several years ago. I dont know how many Egyptian onions I have given away, all of them from the start George sent me.

The baby calf seems to be okay, I called the owner this morning to tell him that I though the calf needed some attention. He was here within 5 min. and got the calf up on its feet, then call the cows up, and when mama saw the baby she went to it, and it started nursing. The last I saw of mama and baby, they had crossed the creek headed back to where the cattle were grazing. I also saw an eagle this morning, I don't see them often here.

• Nancy Waggoner
    3 years ago

I appreciated your new-born calf story, Larry. I ranched with my ex-husband for several years on a 3000 acre ranch in WY. It was heaven on earth. The marriage was not. I was broken-hearted that I felt I had to leave. I adored being out riding, rounding up the cattle for branding time and vaccinations; riding every week to check on eveything (fences, water tanks, cows doing okay, etc.). We ran Charolais or Charolais mixed with Hereford or Hereford/black Angus. I loved riding every day watching for cows that were about to go into labor. When we spotted them (although I was a former city girl, I was especially adept at spotting the cows that were ready to go into labor), we'd gently herd them into the corral, and they could go into the straw-laden stable for birthing. We missed a few, of course, and occasionally would find a dead cow and/or calf. But not often. Except for my alcoholic husband, it was the best time of my life until I moved down here with Garry. It truly was heartbreaking to leave the ranch. It wasn't a job, it was sheer joy, being on a horse and riding the country. Many of the "women folk" back there didn't engage in the outside herding work. A few of us like-minded souls did and loved it. And though it was very, how should I put this. . . . "patriarchal" back there in Wyoming, those of us like-minded women also had spouses who thought it was great, It was FUN to be out riding with husbands, hired hands, kids. SO many amazingly wonderful or memorable (but I survived), memories. Wow. I digressed mightily.

What I was GOING to say was that we could only support about 2 .2 cows per acre . (That sounds like too many. Pasture land back there was sketchy and sparse.). Point is we could only run 120 cows/calves on those 3000 acres. We had our home and pasture land, then the "upper pasture," which was 5 miles away, and whose western border was the "Hole in the Wall cliffs. . . " the red wall, overlooking the valley. (Think Butch Cassidy--yes, that was our western border.)

That was a whole lotta land to cover for 120 cows and calves.

We had about 20 acres of meadow land near the house, along the Powder River. We grew alfalfa hay there, and next to the river, where it was rather sandy forest land, we had an enormous patch of wild asparagus.

Here's a funny one. . . so many funny ones. In the middle of a hot summer, Bill and I (husband then), packed up the horses in the trailer, and headed to the upper place to ride around those 1500 acres, making sure everything was okay, and checking the water tanks. He went one direction, I went the other. As I covered my assigned area, I came down to one of the 3 strategically placed water tanks, on my horse Banjo. As we neared the water tank, he began snorting and backing up and downright balking. So I dismounted and led him the last, oh, football field away, to the water tank. He wasn't happy, but didn't race off. I tied him securely maybe 50 feet away. The stench was unbearable. So I was doing the "mouth breathing thing," and walked right up to it. There in that 8' diameter stock tank was a dead sheep (we ran sheep that year) floating in many moldy green/white/gray pieces. I did NOT wretch just then because I was mouth breathing. I quick backed up many feet. I stripped off my clothes--ALL my clothes, and headed back to it. (After all, these cows HAD to have water). I found a kind of flat rock, and then got into the water thank and began scooping moldy decaying sheep pieces out, over and over. Well THEN I began wretching, so I'd get out, walk away and wretch. Then go back. I kept doing it over and over. Had to prove I was a real cowboy.

I finally got that stock tank running clear. . . I was so proud of myself, thinking Bill would be so proud of me, too.

Well when we met back up, (and he had come looking for me because I was late/missing) I told him what had happened. He almost died laughing, saying, "I cannot believe you did that! I'd have NEVER done that." That was a lucky man. So sad he had the alcoholic thing. That wasn't the only time he said that--more good stories of my heroism! LOLOLOL

Well, friends. . . scroll right on past if warranted. Did I ever get carried away this evening. XOXO to you all.

Got some bad typos but too lazy to fix. I hope you can read past them! LOL

• OzarkHeather
    3 years ago

WOW Nancy. In the spirit of caring for animals, that needs a comment. Just Wow.

• Macmex
    3 years ago

Wow. Nancy! Good, bad, wonderful and terrible, all rolled up in one!

Concerning seed swaps, I enjoy the people and relationships, but I rarely want the seeds. Can hardly keep up with what I have.

I'm still growing stuff I received at the 2008 Spring Fling 😁

• Larry Peugh
    3 years ago

Nancy, that was a great story. No way could I have done what you did.

This land wont support what the renter tries to run on it, he has to feed hay and feed in the winter. He will bale hay off the land in the summer, then use this place for winter pasture. This year he only baled one time, so the pasture grew back some before he start moving cattle in, but he is still going to have feed more than he would like.

I never cared a lot for horses, I liked tractors and other machines.

• Nancy Waggoner
    3 years ago

LOL, Larry. My life is perfect now except!!! Except horses aren't a part of it. There was nothing I didn't love about horses. My granddaughter inherited that gene from me, and though they are city folk up in MN, she has a horse and loves Walter. So do I. Being out riding the range on a horse--nothing like it!