SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_595680368

Nicole Kidman's Brownstone in HBO's The Undoing

Gizmo
3 years ago

HBO’s The Undoing starring Nicole Kidman and Hugh Grant has quickly become must-see tv, with a star line-up and suspenseful plot, but there are also some stand-out decors too. This post takes a look at the brownstone house from The Undoing [no spoilers]:

The show begins with Grace and Jonathan (played by Nicole Kidman and Hugh Grant) living their charmed lives in New York, Grace works as a successful therapist and Jonathon is an oncologist, while their son, Henry, attends the elite Reardon School. Naturally, they live in an expensive brownstone townhouse in Manhattan.

https://scenetherapy.com/the-house-from-the-undoing/

Comments (32)

• Bookwoman
    3 years ago

Only one problem: that's not made of brownstone (except for the window and door surrounds), it's brick. So it's a townhouse, but not a brownstone. [/pedantry]

In any event, I'm more interested in Nicole Kidman's coats. She has a fabulous wardrobe in the show.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    3 years ago

I like the father’s palatial apartment too.

• Bookwoman
    3 years ago

Oh yes, that's quite nice as well. :-) I just wish NK hadn't had so much work/Botox done. Her face barely moves. She looked more natural in Big Little Lies.

• sable64
    3 years ago

Am enjoying the show, but I also find Nicole Kidman's immobile "perfect" face to be a distraction. Her wardrobe and apartment are beautiful, though.

Sable

• OllieJane
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Glad to know about this. I will check it out tonight. I love shows with beautiful wardrobes and houses and a little mystery to make it interesting.

Sable, I know what you mean, I thought Nicole's face and her hair and clothes on Big Little Lies were distracting. I thought she was very plain looking in Big Little Lies. There was something "off" in her face and I couldn't put my finger on it.

eta: I watched the trailer and her hairstyle is much more flattering in The Undoing.

• Lindsey M
    3 years ago

only here to say this reminds me of The Bounty Hunter with Gerard Butler and Jennifer Aniston... the opening-ish scenes of Butler sneaking around a townhome in Manhattan are actually in my stepmother-in-law's home. she agreed to filming since they would redecorate however she wanted after they were done!

• Lindsey M
    3 years ago

only here to say this reminds me of The Bounty Hunter with Gerard Butler and Jennifer Aniston... the opening-ish scenes of Butler sneaking around a townhome in Manhattan are actually in my stepmother-in-law's home. she agreed to filming since they would redecorate however she wanted after they were done!

• JustDoIt
    3 years ago

Am enjoying the show, but I also find Nicole Kidman's immobile "perfect" face to be a distraction.

I have always felt sorta of bad because I've always had this thought about her. Glad to know I'm not alone.

• sable64
    3 years ago

A few years ago there was some criticism of her new face following plastic surgery. Some thought that not only did it make her more immobile, but also that it pulled her eyebrows down towards her nose, giving her a frowny look. IMO she does tend to look a bit angry.

• JJ
    3 years ago

Free on YouTube TV this weekend.

• JJ
    3 years ago

Great show btw.

So the townhouse for sale is the whole building but in the show they appear to live in an apartment within it. You can see this when the "front door" opens and you see the grand main stairway beyond.

They also turned the dining room into the kitchen as the real kitchen didn't work with the flow.

I agree the fathers 5th Ave penthouse is spectacular.

• just_terrilynn
    3 years ago

I’m watching Undoing now and am enjoying it. The interior of the house didn’t grab my attention but I agree Nicole’s coats are fab.

Speaking of immobile "perfect" face‘s, did anyone watch the series Queen’s Gambit? I loved it!

• graywings123
    3 years ago

I liked Queen's Gambit, but thought the ending didn't quite fit with overall tenor of the series. Don't want to give anything away. I'm thoroughly enjoying The Undoing.

• JJ
    3 years ago

Undoing finale tonight btw...

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    3 years ago

For anyone who is interested in learning more about the father’s apartment, @davidnettosays on IG gives tones of delicious details, plus floor plans, history and some info on other buildings too.

• Olychick
    3 years ago

I just watched it for the first time last night, then I noticed this thread. I clicked on the link and realized I hadn't noticed one thing about their home because I can't take my eyes off her hair.

• Bookwoman
    3 years ago

Zalco, thanks. I love good real estate p*rn. ;-)

ETA: Well that ending was...unexpected.

• JJ
    3 years ago

Well I didn't think I would be one of those commenting on her too-tight face, but it was distracting and it did make it near impossible for me to read her. Perhaps that was the point of casting her after all. But...yeah...ending...a big two thumbs down.

• maire_cate
    3 years ago

This was one of those shows that started out with an interesting premise and then when it was over I felt cheated.

I also found Nicole Kidman's face and hair distracting but I loved the homes and beautiful scenery.

• nutsaboutplants
    3 years ago

This is one of those totally nondescript, forgettable shows about familial drama and intrigue, with little else to elevate it, along the lines of Big Little Lies, Little Fires Everywhere and a whole lot of other ones. I tire easily of this genre, be it books, TV or movies, but in these times I get even more impatient than usual. When I need relief from the sociop#$itical reality, I just go to late night comedy.

• nutsaboutplants
    3 years ago

Oh, about Nicole Kidman’s face. I find it unnaturally pinched around her nose and cheeks and artificially plumped around her mouth. And she looks anorexic. I did enjoy the wardrobe and interiors.

• Olychick
    3 years ago

Dysfunctional family shows...my favorite, lol. I really enjoyed it. Not the ending I imagined, but it was pretty suspenseful.

• graywings123
    3 years ago

The final ending was not that great, but I enjoyed the courtroom twist. I will watch anything with Hugh Grant in it. And Donald Sutherland was great to watch. I didn't know of Noma Dumezweni before this, but loved her as the defense attorney Haley Fitzgerald. And of course the dreamy apartments.

• nutsaboutplants
    3 years ago

On re-reading my comments, I find them a little shrill. My apologies to everyone here. I enjoy reading the various perspectives here.

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

Just stumbled upon this thread - haven’t seen the final episode so thanks for not spoiling! But, I also have been admiring Nicole’s coats, hair, her’s & fathers apartment’s. And, I’ve been pondering her facial expressions, or, her lack of them. The shape & set of her mouth is what I especially notice is off. I know she’s only @53 & the pressure to look young is extreme but I hope she will take lessons in celebrating aging gracefully from the likes of Meryl Streep. Nicole is a beauty - she should just go on through her life with her natural looks & show the rest of us how it can be done!

• Springroz
    3 years ago

I have not seen the show, but funny you mention Meryl Streep...I saw that she and Candace Bergen have a new show coming out....Candace looks like saline pumped Butterball turkey when she is slit screened with Meryl (who looks like a Beautiful, normal woman of that age).

• Springroz
    3 years ago

It did not look like weight to me, although I did not see anything but her face.....it looked like filler. If it had just looked like additional pounds, it would not have been PC or OT...(LOL!!!)

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

The movie is “Let Them All Talk” out December 10th & I think a must see based on the cast alone! If it’s true that the dialog is mostly improv, it should be pretty interesting given the 3 women’s personalities!

• Sueb20
    3 years ago

I’ve only seen 3 episodes so far, and I keep getting distracted trying to identify and evaluate the paint colors in the apt. — so dark and moody. I don’t dislike them but I don’t think I could live with them myself.