SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newjerseysurf

I want to avoid buying a set; how do you mix and match furniture?

No Thanks
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

bedroom furniture seems particularly difficult to pull off a mix. but, i've never tried. advice appreciated!

Comments (126)

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

Flo - are ”bachelors chests” usually higher than a typical bed side chest & so you’d need a taller bed also to make them work comfortably as a nightstand? Just curious - I looked at couple that are 36” high. in my set up, my bed is 30” high & my chunky 2 deep drawer bed side chests are 26” high. Seems like a chest that’s @ 4 - 6” higher or lower than bed would work but it’s nice to know what to expect either way when deciding on different kinds of pieces to provide dual purpose & usages.

• tcufrog
    3 years ago

You would be surprised by how much closet organizers and slimline hangers help. My kids, one of whom is adult-size, have tiny closets. A lot of closets have tons of wasted space, especially in older homes. It's amazing how much we could comfortably fit in them once we replaced their hangers and redid their closets. I was able to get the hangers for my older son for a great price at Tuesday Morning. Their bedrooms are very small so maximizing their closet space made all the difference.

• Related Discussions

How do I avoid a modern looking backsplash?

Q

Comments (21)
    Wanta, I really like what you are starting with, dual colors and everything. Your initial tile block strikes me as ultimately too busy, though, and not nearly as well suited to that cabinetry as many others would be, plus on the "modern" side. If it were mine, 'd be inclined to go with a glossy (a little contrast to the duller finishes) tile in a traditional shape uniformly applied without extra detailing. I'd stay away from flat surfaces with sharp edges as too modern. If I could afford a bit of a "handcrafted" irregularity to the surface I'd choose that (because I like it). Subway's rectangle proportions are similar to those in your doors, so I'm guessing it'd look very good set traditionally, like the Chicago and San Francisco kitchens. You also have some squares in your cabinets, which could be picked up if you were to use squares, set in a traditional running bond. (Four points meeting is a more modern look.) You also have some diagonal lines, not as strong as the squares though. Since I love the gentle movement 4x4s set diagonally give and they're not seen everywhere these days, I'd at least consider retrofitting some diagonal stiles in the glass panes near the ceiling. Breaking the squares in favor of the seen in other areas would probably look really good, but otherwise I'd stay away from them. Those are all traditional looks that could be played out with simple, lower-price tiles and look very distinguished. Circuspeanut's modern-2012 would look very nice in your kitchen too even if it's more transitional, and it also has the virtue of being readily available.
    ...See More

How do you avoid decorating cliches?

Q

Comments (18)
    Generally speaking the bedroom you are going to get is contemporary and transitional and the things that are going to look most at home are contemporary transitional things. What might not look like a cliche in your inspiration picture would probably look like a cliche in the second picture. The problem with fishing net decoration is that it doesn't address what the built structure looks like most of the time. You could not turn picture two into picture one just buy decorating it the same way and that's how people fall into the cliche trap, they try to do that. I think things can be built out-of-region with some degree of success. People build Colonial Revival all over the country and it looks okay except in the most unsuited climates. And there is a lot of Spanish Revival on the East coast because it had a brief popularity in the 1920s. There is an 1870s(?) Italianate Brownstone in Philadelphia, that is famous for it's Spanish Revival Facade, and it's heightened when you walk into the first floor and it's a "Spanish Courtyard Patio" complete with fountain and Juliet balcony. It's a ridiculous cliche but it's so complete that it works. By the third floor you're back in an Italianate but they at least reconfigured the main public rooms.
    ...See More

Want beach style but have heavy, dark furniture.How do I make it work?

Q

Comments (43)
    lisalija, I assume this question--"...how do you put in new rug, coffee table, etc in place of existing??"--is directed at me. I use Photoshop. The dark chair you posted yesterday can work as it is, I think. The cushions look like they're covered in a light leafy fabric already. Put it on the left side of the TV console and give it a beachy side table of its own.
    ...See More

Mix or match bedroom furniture?

Q

Comments (2)
    It kind of depends on the furniture brand/line as to whether or not it looks bleh. In general, I can’t stand bedroom “suites” or sets. HOWEVER, there are some high-end makers who do a really good job of it. Obviously a $1,999 five-piece bedroom set from Rooms To Go or Ashley isn’t going to fall into the “really good job of it” category.
    ...See More
  • No Thanks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thanks @Flo Mangan i think another wrinkle is that due to being first-time home owners we're initially trying to do this on a budget (but with quality pieces). as such we're sort of at the mercy of what's available on Facebook and Craigslist. there is EXTREMELY slim pickings in relation to "bachelor's chests". and anything halfway decent is closing in on $1k/piece.

is it your recommendation at this point to pass on the two matching pieces entirely? or should i still keep the taller dresser? for reference, the seller wants $300 for the tall and $700 for both.

@KW PNW Z8 @User curious as to your thoughts as well.

oh - and i'm hoping to have dimensions tonight!

thanks again for your help.

• PRO
    User
    3 years ago

The two matching pieces are gorgeous! You aren't gonna find one piece of furniture of that quality or price anywhere else, let alone two. You can add in your unmatched (but complimentary) items with nightstands and a bed frame.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Sure. I understand. When my husband and I got married we had two children each. So we wanted each child to have their own bedroom. That meant we needed at least a 5 bedroom home! When we moved in (this was the house built in 1900 and the original owner had passed away so the family was selling it) after closing we had $26 left in cash between us. It was the day before Thanksgiving. In Oakmont PA! Cold. We woke up the next morning and it was 56 degrees inside the house! So I completely understand your budget constraints. What I have found is furniture has a way of staying with you no matter the quality. So buying the best quality you can afford is wise. Yes, Bachelor chests are not easy to find and they do tend to be higher. However, mattresses and box springs are also higher these days so usually it can work. We have moved so many times I just find smaller scale pieces are much more flexible as you move thru life. That is a really good price for those two pieces but you need to see them in person. Can you pick them up? Are they local? Just make sure you have enough wall space for the big dresser if you get that. I would get the tall but not the long dresser. But that’s me. Glad you are getting some measurements.

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

That‘s a wowee deal of a price for really good furniture! Can’t see the top surface of either piece which is where usual damage would be but they both look cared for & in great shape. As for the dilemma about if they’ll fit the room or through doors etc., I’m assuming you’ve been inside this home you‘re buying so you know what the passage ways are, what the closets look like space wise etc. & know your personal needs for storage. I am basing my opinion of this furniture fitting up the stairs (don’t know why I think this is 2 story - sloped ceiling maybe) or down hallways, on the furniture that’s in the picture you shared. The 2 dressers you’re looking at are certainly no larger than what’s in those pics so I have to think they will fit well into this bedroom! The long dresser would be the issue if there’s not a long wall in room but we see there’s already a long dresser in there. Also, you won’t have that bulky headboard. The ladies chest or taller dresser looks smaller than the one in pic with TV in it, so looks to me like your 2 will fit. Stylistically, the 2 dressers are a good fit for a vintage home as well as a good start for the plan you have on mixing different pieces to complete your bedroom furniture needs / wants. That‘s my thought process & so my vote is to snag those 2 pieces & pat yourself on the back for the excellent deal you snagged! So, No Thanks, that‘s my 50 cents worth! 😊

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Just a note...depending on your location and whether it is safe for you to shop....if you have consignment stores within driving distance they usually offer lots of things like this ...at prices like this..as well as beautiful rugs...lamps...beds

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Everything and anything....really

• No Thanks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

so no dimensions, but another photo and measurements of prior furniture:

triple dresser 62x17

chest with TV 37x19

cal. king bed 80x86

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Looks like those pieces can work to me. The wall with bed looks tight so if you put even a Queen there you probably won’t have room for regular nightstands although it is hard to tell without getting good photos of all walls. I would try negotiating down price a bit. $550 for both. Worth a try. Good luck.

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

And, you did say you have a queen sized bed, yes? Your 2 new pieces are, tall chest, 3” deeper -2.5” wider, &long dresser, 5” deeper, 7” wider. I think they”ll both fit, especially given the floor space gain from a smaller bed & headboard. The first pic of this room shows a good amount of space on either side of current dresser on the long wall so the extra 7” in length on new piece shouldn’t be an issue. It doesn’t look like it would fit on the wall where they have their TV piece. Also can’t tell if there’s enough wall space to left of window for your tall chest. Seems like your decision is whether or not you want that same furniture arrangement because your 2 pieces will fit but maybe only in the positions the current owner has their items. Nothing wrong with that, just set your expectations accordingly. And, BTW, congratulations on joining the ranks of homeowners with your new home! How neat that it’s a home with a history and character!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

As to layouts, you might be able to put bed in front of windows and have room for some form of night tables on each side. Not sure without measurements and better photos.

• No Thanks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you!! @KW PNW Z8 we were thinking we’d upgrade to a king but with a low profile, platform frame

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

Still a floor space gain without that headboard - that’s taking at least 2’. And as Flo suggests, the bed might work placed on window wall. Would love it if you post updates after you move in. I, for one, would be interested in seeing how this all works out! ☺️

• No Thanks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@KW PNW Z8 after the help that's been provided in this thread, it's only fair that i come back with the updates - and i certainly will. and, fair warning, i'll likely be requesting assistance for other rooms as well

• No Thanks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

and @KW PNW Z8 since you seem to appreciate a good deal see below for some nearby pieces:

this full outdoor teak set that was asking $60 - full retail is somewhere closer to $4. i JUST missed out on getting it and frankly i'm pretty sick over it. would have fit PERFECT in our new yard:

this MCM (not everyone is a fan - incl. my wife) Broyhill Brasilia bar that seller was asking $250 for. really neat piece:

and, finally something i did get. this Maurice Villency dining room table for $500. i'm not super familiar with their designs but the table looks nice enough:

• ngcurt
    3 years ago

I haven’t read the whole thread (I hate it when people do that, sorry!) but think I saw you are thinking about a king size bed in an older home, and are a first time buyer. You mentioned a platform bed. But if you do end up needing a box spring, you can buy what’s called a split box spring (two parts) which usually enables getting thru tight twisty stair/ceiling clearances. My kids live in a 100 year old home near Boston, and stair clearance is definitely an issue there, so that’s what they and many of their friends have done. Even a Queen box spring can often be a problem. Good luck! Exciting!

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

Yes, too bad about the teak set - a bit of oil and elbow grease & it would’ve been stunning again! I’m with your wife on the bar piece - I‘d want to know what else I could use it for to give it more purpose. Not opposed to intended use but needs more justification for space it would take in my house 😉 I had to look up Maurice Villency - really nice MCM pieces out there. I appreciate the art in the style though I am drawn more to Arts & Crafts & Art Nouveau & Art Deco.

• No Thanks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

think we're going to get this frame from Room & Board

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

Nice! Suits your style, dressers you’re getting (or did get?) will look good with it as both have simple lines, clean styles. Like that this would be nice metal contrast with wood & also that bed has a footboard but doesn’t take up lots of space.

• Gcubed
    3 years ago

I have owned 2 of those bed frames over the last 15+ years (my kids have one now) and it is great. Sturdy.

• No Thanks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Gcubed really glad to hear that. I read a concerning review where they said it was terribly made and very noisy/not sturdy.

most reviews seem favorable.

edit: they're backordered through feb.!

• No Thanks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@KW PNW Z8 curious, if we don't go metal and stick with wood for the bedframe, should i try to match the color of the other pieces or...?

these are the other frames i'm consdering:

this frame doesn't have the option for a headboard in king size which is a shame b/c i have their queen frame and it's amazing quality for the price - plus i could finish it how i want...but, again, no headboard:

• Gcubed
    3 years ago

I like the contrast of metal. And you could use that material for dresser hardware

• PRO
    User
    3 years ago

Switching it up with a metal frame will look great! I wouldn't change the hardware on the dressers, as suggested above. Gold hardware (or brass) will look awesome paired with a black metal bed frame.

• No Thanks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks @User!

• Gcubed
    3 years ago

Just want to point out that the R&B metal bed is not really black. It’s an iron metal color (forgot exact name). It’s not true black. Just something to keep in mind. But, I agree, that the current hardware would pair well too

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

I agree with Gcubed on liking contrast of the metal mixed the with wood pieces. Also agree with Glo European about not changing hardware on dressers - I wouldn’t change a thing on them - pristine & perfect as they are. About the back order issue - disappointing for sure but these days that’s the state of many things so we must build that scenario into our purchase expectations for the foreseeable future. I’m not enthused about either of your substitute choices especially the one with no headboard. Neither compare to the overall impact & effect the iron frame bed would have when mixed with the wood dressers. From Gcubed comment on color, I can envision the color of the frame - a soft ”blackish” - so nice! So that bed frame might not be available until Feb? I remember sleeping on an air bed for a couple of months bc our furniture was in storage in another city! It’s a faint memory now. When do you take possession of your new home? And, did you know that sleeping on a mattress on the floor has actually helped some with back issues? 😁 As you may guess, my vote would be to either wait for the bed frame you really like & want or if you can’t, then find something that’s pretty close to it. You had mentioned a metal frame when looking at the dressers so it seems that’s what your initial vision was.

• No Thanks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks @kw I think we can wait and I believe the owner MAY have left a bed there. We are supposed to close on 12/22!

So now the question is...nightstands? What would compliment the dressers and metal bed frame.

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

Wow so you may be in by Holidays. Nice! Checked out the R & B site to see what‘s shown with that bed - so many options with such a versatile piece. Patience is not one of my virtues so this is easier said than done but, for me, I would wait until I had the dressers and the bed in place before buying these pieces. That would give you time to figure out how the room feels with the pieces you have & to learn what it needs. Taller or shorter height, 2 of same for each side or same style but different sizes etc. Those points might depend on just where along the wall the bed is - or, if it’s on long wall or window wall. And, that window wall, is a chair & table going there? So again, the only input I can offer is to pause for now. In the meantime, keep an eye out for things that speak to your style which is always fun, right?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Oh yeah. Hold off. We don’t know how that wall behind bed is configured because in older hones quirky things happen. You can use improvised night stands and with tight spaces, you can be creative. Instead of lamps for example you can get wall hung plug in sconces. Great way to get reading light when there are minimal spaces and outlets.

• Gcubed
    3 years ago

Here’s an up close of the bed frame. And, I also have this plug in sconce which is similar to some Flo suggested. It’s great too.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Great minds Gcubed! Lol

• Gcubed
    3 years ago

I added the cord cover and attached the plug to a dimmer plug with remote, so it works well. It's not in our bedrooms but I do think it would work in one too. I got this one from Shades of Light.

• tcufrog
    3 years ago

We reading wall sconces on either side of our bed and we love them. They take up little space and work much better for reading in bed.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

I would just get metal mattress holder for now and no footboard then when you get in you can get headboard or whatever bed you want. Foot boards in bedrooms can be real leg and toe smashers! Especially metal!

• tcufrog
    3 years ago

We did that when we moved into a previous home. We got sick on felt pads at the hardware store to put on the backs of the part that went against the wall so the wall wouldn't get damaged by the metal frame. It gave us time to decide what we really wanted in the room. I'm glad we did it because we ended up going with a different style than we expected and because it a surprisingly long time to receive the new bed even though there isn't a pandemic. A friend ordered some new furniture and the lead times on the pieces is the longest she's ever encountered. Some of them keep getting pushed back too.

• No Thanks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

so...this just popped up. it might be "too much", i'm not sure. but for the price it's almost worth getting just to see if it'll work.

curious what the board thinks!

• No Thanks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Also while we’re at it...fabric swatches came in.

these were the 3 we liked.

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

For me and also for your house, a strong pass. For me, these “no canopy, canopy bed” frames look like too much work to make the bed around every day & keep the frame relatively dust free & they also look kind of dangerous for a not quite awake person to navigate around. For style, I think they only work in very large & high ceiling spaces. I just can’t see it in your space - too limiting for placement. Trying to see where the joints are on this piece -must be at all the corners or else how would one get it into a house? Does that mean routine maintenance of tightening bolts to get rid of squeaks & keep frame stable? Hmm, longer I think on it, the stronger my vote to pass is. 🤔. But, I do like the bedside lamps In pic! Thinking about Flo’s comment on metal bed footboards - the toe smasher point didn’t resonate with me as I had a heavy wooden footboard for years & rarely stubbed my toes. But, I was thinking about sitting up in bed reading - would the metal bar be uncomfortable to lean on even with pillows? Maybe Gcubed could speak to that since he’s got experience with that bed?

• No Thanks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes @KW PNW Z8 I do agree!!

• Gcubed
    3 years ago

I'll admit I've run into the footbed a few times (but I doubt any worse than any bed with a footboard though). If you have pillows or Euro pillows to layer onto the metal frame, then it's comfortable.

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

Thanks GCubed! Moving on to fabric swatches - I like the color & texture / nubbiness of all 3. What are you considering them for? I missed that somewhere. Unless these are for dining chairs, I’d be inclined to pick out likely candidates to narrow the field but not actually purchase until I was in the house to see Which worked best with natural lighting etc.

• No Thanks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@kw this is for our living room sofa. We actually narrowed it down to these two and have two more on their way:

left is 94% polyester, 6% nylon, right is 53% cotton, 47% polyester. both are "performance" fabrics which i didn't seek out nor am i super thrilled about but from what i've ready they've come a long way. trying to find out now whether they're Crypton or Revolution.

these are the other two on their way to us.

92% polyester, 8% linen NOT performance:

100% polyester, performance fabric:

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

No Thanks, I’m going to have to defer your upholstery questions to the design experts. My home’s seating furniture is >95% leather! Exceptions being dining chair seats & bedroom chairs, & an accent chair here & there. Crypton & Revolution seem to be highly rated durable upholstery. I can’t offer an opinion on pattern of fabric without seeing the piece & room it’s to go into.

• No Thanks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Just came across this gorgeous chest. I assume this is a bachelors chest @Flo Mangan

its made in France by Grange. Asking $400 but not sure if it’s a better fit than the other long chest.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Nice. Negotiate price down a bit. Wood is beautiful.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Width looks about 30-32” but hard to tell from picture. Ask if it has been refinished. If refinished the value is diminished.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Get measurements. Height, width and depth.

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

Wow - oks like a match the other 2 pieces you’re looking at.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County