SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_216843059

Looking for Input on how to level a floor (hardwood on concrete)

Robyn Cox
3 years ago

Hi!

I'd appreciate any advice from those with flooring expertise on my question about levelling a room floor. (I'm new to this, so trying to get as much research as possible!)

I'm hoping to create a gym/pilates room in a small room of a condo I recently purchased (the building is 100 years old, concrete foundation.) My condo's flooring is maple hardwood, on top of plywood, on top of very old subfloor, on top of concrete.

The room I'd like to be even has some waves in the floor contour, especially goes up in the middle of the floor, then down at the perimeter of room. The rest of the condo also has some wavy flooring contours, but this room more pronounced).

I'm told the contour of the floor is from the contour of the concrete itself, and to even it out would require tearing out the floor and plywood, grinding down the concrete and putting in self-leveler product. (Followed by a new subfloor, then engineered hardwood was recommended). The price quoted was very much higher than my budget for an 8 by 12 room.

I'm just wondering is there a less-involved, less-expensive way to do this? (Even for example, can I put a new subfloor and floor right on top of the existing maple wood floor, with some adjustments in the new plywood subfloor to address the levelness issue, or would this just repeat the same contour issues?)

If the answer is it has to be done at the concrete level, is it possible to even-out the concrete with self-leveler overlay, but no grinding down? (I have asthma and am worried that grinding wouldn't be a good idea for that).

Any ideas/input would be very much appreciated! Thanks

Comments (4)