When this is all over

sal 60 Hanzlik

will you have interesting things to talk about? I think life will be different for awhile. Even when our son stops by we don't really have much to talk about. Haven't been anywhere or seen or heard anything for 8 months. How about you?

SaveComment16Like3
Comments (16)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joann_fl

Not much has changed for me so it won't be much different, just easier

2 Likes Save    
greenshoekitty

No. but I will be able to say that I went shopping (in person) to the big box stores. this means I drove 50 miles and went to Home depot, walmart and 2 or three more places I went to once a month before the vires rules and stay at home things came about .

1 Like Save    
marilyn_c

Not really. I haven't been anywhere but to buy groceries and horse feed and to pick up oxygen bottles for Jody. But honestly, the virus hasn't changed anything for me. This is what I would be doing anyway.

The Rose Rustlers had a get together last weekend, and at first I wanted to go, but it is so hard for me to get away early and I worry about leaving Jody all day. Tomorrow I have to go back down to Liverpool, where we moved from, and that requires a major production. It is almost more trouble than it is worth. Right now, I prefer staying close to home.

6 Likes Save    
Debby

My life really hasn't changed. I'm an essential employee who does not get to take paid time off when the province shuts down. (rumour has it, we will be doing a huge shutdown this week). Because I work in a pharmacy, we cannot close so I *get* to deal with all the hopeful hoarder who want all the toilet paper again. We will have to limit people inside the store which during flu shot season and covid travel testing, good luck coming in to buy anything at all. Sorry, rant over.......... hahahaa

Seriously though, nothing much has changed for us. We didn't have my kids over for 3 months for the first shut down. When they did stop by we visited on the front lawn. It's getting really cold here now, so that'll probably have to stop as well. With Skype and Facebook, we can still communicate. And to be honest, that's how I pretty much communicate with everyone anyway.

1 Like Save    
Lucille

I will have a lot to talk about. My perceptions of people, and how I have seen them react, good or bad, under adversity. How proud I am of my son and his wife to make good choices for a safe life for themselves and my grand baby. The changes in science inspired by necessity that have made vaccines possible in record time. Conversations I have now with teacher friends about virtual education and student health. And of course I have experimented happily with cooking and baking.

8 Likes Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Not particularly, no. I've had more and more frequent contact via phone, video visits and even by email with friends and family members since early Spring than during any prior period I can remember. Sure, travel for visits has been suspended for us for now but the modern world makes it very easy to visit in other ways besides in-person. I can't think of anything significant unsaid or not discussed.

1 Like Save    
maifleur03

It will depend on to whom I am speaking. Some we will talk about what we have done and what we should do in the future in case this or some type of disaster would occur. Others it will be what we have done during this time both pro and con. Still others it will be just a "How good to see you". A few will only talk about what they did and the hardships this whole thing caused them.

I have wondered what I would discuss with fellow travelers if and when I am able to travel again.

2 Likes Save    
nickel_kg

I'm not a particularly interesting person in the best of times, so I don't know that anyone would notice a difference! When I get back together with church group, exercise group, and adult education group, I think the topics will center around how much we've all missed face to face interaction and are looking forward to regular/normal life again. Starting to get optimistic that it will occur before this time next year!

3 Likes Save    
wildchild2x2

Other than not socializing in person with groups of friends I still do the things I have always done. Missed going to the beach this year but the silver lining has been to have more time for horseback riding adventures. I trail ride, I take arena lessons, I do horse care. I got the opportunity to do 100 miles on the same school horse in a virtual endurance competition. That would never have happened if things were normal. My new riding place is my new extended family. I have new friends of all ages. I get all the interaction with people I need. We have record attendance with families, pony rides, kids riding programs, and camps since schools are closed. We see our grandkids on a limited basis but we do see them now and then. DD and DH went deep sea fishing and crabbing this week. DS is so busy with his practically 24/7 job we never get much time with him no matter what. We have had some work done in the yard. New patio is getting poured tomorrow. Our neighbors come out and we chat a bit more now actually than before.

All I really miss are going to the movies and dining out. Just calling someone up and saying, hey you want to go let's go to whatever. I also miss taking the grands to amusement parks, the aquarium and other fun places. Shopping is a pita but mostly I just live my life as I have always done.

I talk to DD a lot more than other family. The grand kids are having a good life despite this. They go to all the kid centered drive by events and they have online activities with friends and have a limited number of kids they see in their social bubble. Both are doing really, really well with distance learning. They actually like it. But they are lucky to have two very involved parents who are child oriented and have always promoted educational enrichment in their home. So for us life goes on.

3 Likes Save    
Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)

I want to go to Walmart at my usual 1:30 AM, walk up and down every isle and take my time just seeing what if anything has changed. And what looks good.

Maybe even get me a free sample of "Dude Wipes":

Well, maybe not. :)

2 Likes Save    
glenda_al

No more peanut butter. I am on pb overload.

2 Likes Save    
maifleur03

I would like to take a trip somewhere that has a nice restaurant close to or in a hotel so that I can have both a nice dinner not prepared by myself and a drink. I need the restaurant to be close because although I do have alcohol at home I seldom drink and I really want the overall experience and will not drive. I suspect one drink would make me a little tipsy.

3 Likes Save    
morz8

I agree. A wonderful dinner one of us didn't cook here or carry home in a box to eat already cooling is on my list - would like to be served. I rarely drink either, although I do have all types of alcohol here. I just don't think to make myself a drink even though I enjoy one occasionally. The last time we ate in a restaurant was March 7, I believe I had a margarita that day.

Doing some things not considered really essential would be nice. We've been in Chuck's Produce when going for window visits with my Mom, and they have a cute little gift shop attached. I've allowed myself about 5 minutes twice, but wouldn't it be wonderful to browse a store, and really shop.

As for being out of touch, I'm not sure I am. All manners of news available, and we subscribe to two papers. We're talking to family often and see DH's side frequently. They are closer and used to dropping in and out on a whim, and still do that but the last several months its been in the driveway. Friends too. No one has been coming in. Several times we've had 'garage guests', and trust me, I really hate garage entertaining. But with the door for the cars open for air exchange, a stocked refrigerator out there, distanced seating (my patio furniture), what is just about a full bar now set up on a work table, the guys are happy at least - including DH who is way more social than I am ;0)

1 Like Save    
Uptown Gal

First...just want to hug my grandsons and see their faces and play some games

and giggle with them. Then on to seeing, hugging and doing things with

everyone else. And, if our chairs are only an inch apart...good! ;)

2 Likes Save    
Lukki Irish

Lucille, I loved your response. So positive and upbeat, thank you. I feel the same way about my DD & SIL. They’ve made good choices and are so happy right now, even in the midst of a pandemic. Seeing our kids living the dream is what it’s all about.

Save    
nicole___

I've had ALL sorts of "things" happen during the lock-down, to talk about. ☺ Not things I wanted to happen...or will remember happily tho.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Product Picks Guest Picks: What’s Purple All Over?
With kitchen appliances, pillows, chairs and more in shades of lavender to plum, your home can be as purple as you please
Full Story
Contemporary Homes Houzz Tour: Black, White and Scandinavian-Industrial All Over
A penthouse apartment in a converted schoolhouse gets reconfigured and redecorated to became a restful city sanctuary
Full Story