Can you freeze deli salami?

Annegriet

Instacart (probably my fault) delivered me way more deli salami than I could possibly eat in a week. Can I freeze this as one big pile of salami? If I have to put wax paper in between each very thin slice, I'm not going to bother. I'll just eat salami breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. THANK YOU. I really don't like wasting food.

SaveComment11Like
Comments (11)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ska Wonky

I do it all the time. I will place a couple days servings between wax paper, as wax paper can then go into my compost bin (city pickups). Do not freeze as one big pile, and when you package, feather the salami slices instead of stacking it, it will thaw quicker. Or I will use a butter knife to separate the frozen sheets of salami to take what I want. This way you are not having it breakfast lunch & supper, just a bit at a time, over a longer length of time. More enjoyable!

Salami freezes really well, on the other hand, I do not appreciate how watery ham becomes after thawing...

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Annegriet
pudgeder

ditto ^^^^

Save     Thanked by Annegriet
jkayd_il5

I freeze deli meat in serving sizes. I don't eat it but my husband does.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Annegriet
Annegriet

THANKS! You guys always help me.

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

I wouldn't even bother to freeze it! It is fully cured and will not spoil for a long, long time. You can keep it at room temperature for several weeks and refrigerated (whole or as an intact log) indefinitely. Once sliced, bacteria can enter and the storage time dips to 3 weeks refrigerated and only two months frozen.

2 Likes Save    
wednesday morning

garden girl is right that it is fully cured and will keep for a bit longer than you might imagine.

Since it is full of fat and salt and is cured, it will freeze just fine.

I am assuming that yours is sliced so it will not keep as long as an uncut roll.

Not everything that folks stick into the freezer does well. I think this will do just fine.

Save    
joann_fl

Yes, I do all deli meat

1 Like Save    
Judy Good

Always freeze all meat, cheese, chips, deli meat and pretty much everything. I am freezer queen.

1 Like Save    
wednesday morning

I would not freeze deli sliced ham. The reason is that is has so much water pumped into it that it can just turn in to a wet mess. It will defrost and you will be left with salty water and very tasteless ham slices. A non sliced ham is different in that it has not the same amount of surface area to release the water through.

Not all deli meats are created equal. Something like salami is relatively dry and not subject to ice crystals.

Save    
Embothrium

If I have to see this thread every time I come to this forum much longer I'm going to have to go get some salami!

Save    
Jasdip

Well, Embothrium, you'd better go get some! :-)

Always. I use it on my homemade pizzas.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular 5 Ways to Hide That Big Air Conditioner in Your Yard
Don’t sweat that boxy A/C unit. Here’s how to place it out of sight and out of mind
Full Story
Healthy Home How to Create Healthy Habits at Home
Arrange your environment to make it easier to get enough sleep, exercise regularly and eat right
Full Story
Kitchen Design Love to Cook? We Want to See Your Kitchen
Houzz Call: Show us a photo of your great home kitchen and tell us how you’ve made it work for you
Full Story