SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steelerstahl

Need help with an awkward living room layout

Laura T
3 years ago

As we are in the process of renovating a 100+ year old home, we are limited to designing a living room in a very awkward space. The best place for the tv seems to be above the fireplace (ugh, I know, but we tried other walls, and it either took focus away from FP or cut the LR space in half). Anyway, we cannot figure out how to place rest of furniture due to (1) a wall that the stops halfway across the fireplace and (2) a recessed area across from the fireplace wall that must stay that way due to HVAC vents in wall.

One option is put a sectional in the corner with built-in bookshelves behind it, but then you are looking at the tv on an angle; it doesn't feel very functional, but it also doesn't extend beyond the wall. Another option is to 'extend' the wall with a straight couch and place a sofa table behind it to create the illusion of a wider room (it seems both goofy and a perfect solution; so far this feels the most open and functional even though it cuts into open space). In this case, we would put two single chairs with a side table in front of the large triple window where the sectional would have been, and then the built-in book shelves would be accessible from floor to ceiling (instead of being covered with sectional couch as in the first option).

I am open to new suggestions and opinions. This is an open floor plan where LR opens up to the kitchen on the right and the main entryway to the left.

Note: we would buy new furniture to fit the space, so you can ignore what is currently there. We're just moving things around to try and simulate options. I also know the TV is absolutely gigantic for that FP.

The recliner next to the sofa is to simulate a 4-seat couch or side table next to 3-seat couch.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County