SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaime_dimans

I need help for quartz counter selection

Jumjum Dimans
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello, I know most will say my backsplash is outdated. I’m just going to try to work with it. I need to change my granite to quartz. First pic is my kitchen.
I have option 1.
Emerstone calacatta gold
Option 2 kstone 5101
Pls advise me with more options.. or would there be too boring?
Thanks!

Comments (40)

• jck910
    3 years ago

Why do you need to change the countertops?

Usually you cannot save backsplash tiles when you rip put the countertops

• Sammie J
    3 years ago

jck910 is right - you might not be able to save the backsplash. But, it you can, you will need something that reads warmer than the samples you provided - maybe one of these from the Emerstone line?

• Related Discussions

Clean quartz counter top and safely clean kitchen-need product

Q

Comments (6)
    Oh yeah, dilute it. It doesn't take but a drop or two. I hesitate to say that it will be safe on all painted surfaces, because that has more to do with the paint quality and how it was applied than it does the cleaning products used. If you have factory finished painted cabinets, then it will be fine. A microfiber cloth is the other magic ingredient. If you are having issues with grease in your kitchen anywhere other than around your immediate cooktop, the first thing to do is to address your venting. It's not adequate.
    ...See More

Need help with counter-top and backsplash selection

Q

Comments (1)
    I think white would be a nice contrast. I've attached a link to a GW member's (kellienoelle) kitchen that used Delicatus granite & a classic white backsplash. Here is a link that might be useful: Kellienoelle's Dark Cherry & Delicatus Reveal This post was edited by romy718 on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 21:46
    ...See More

Need help choosing a quartz counter top, please!

Q

Comments (8)
    Egan-I would reduce island length by around 12”. I would eliminate pony walls on ends and use decorative cabinet end panels and reduce 18” cabinet on far end to 12” cabinet. Make sure your cabinets are designed with proper metal support plates for slab. 12-13” overlay for stools is tight. I would expand to 16”. Most slabs can accommodate that total width. 36” deep plus 4” more would mean slab has to be 40-44” wide and 108-112” long. That is doable for most slabs without seams.
    ...See More

Help! I need help with choices for my kitchen! Darlington counter top!

Q

Comments (7)
    thinkdesignlive Thank you. The floor in the room adjacent to the kitchen is birch wood. I don't have much choice in terms of the floor than to put tiles. The tile will be going in the kitchen, the entrance, the hallway, the kitchen table area and the mudroom. The floor needs to be redone in that our tiles are cracking. The trim all over the home is white. So far I have picked the Olympia Glam series Tortora a neutral, good-for-traffic area tile. ( see picture above ) The wood of the kitchen cabinets is in good shape, but some doors need to be refreshed. The wood in some doors is getting bare due to water damage or lack of varnish in some areas. Luckily, I found someone willing to do a trial in my powder room cabinet to see what it would look like and whether he could refresh the cabinets. I would love to redo a full kitchen however I was quoted $ 70000 just for the cabinets if we still want wood. I agree with you that I am all over the place. I will follow your suggestion and create a new inspiration board. Thank you for this suggestion.
    ...See More
  • Jumjum Dimans
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I think I should change my countertop since it doesn’t match the kitchen?

Also I tried bourghini gold.. the base is too cool white I’ll show you against my kitchen or maybe it’s not? Here is
    Bourghini gold first three pics
    And montauk handstone last two

• Jumjum Dimans
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is montauk

• Jumjum Dimans
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Montauk is a bit creamer base but cooler viens
    Bourghini is cool base but warm veins idk...

• M V
    3 years ago

I think all the items you've shown just make your backsplash look more pink. If you are going to go to the expense of replacing the counters, then add a few more dollars to the budget and do the backsplash as well. I don't think you'll regret it in the long run and I think if you just do counters, you will regret trying to match it to the current backsplash. How many sq ft of tile would you need for a new backsplash? I think you should consider replacing both. I'm not sure the backsplash ever went with the current counters either. The backpslash may actually be your problem. Have you considered just changing the backsplash and leaving the current counters? Is that an option?

• shivece
    3 years ago

If the counters are in good shape I would seriously consider just changing the backsplash. Unless the counters clash with floor or another significant design element.

• jck910
    3 years ago

You've got it backwards The counter looks great with white cabinets It's the backsplash that doesn't go. Post a picture of the entire kitchen

• MizLizzie
    3 years ago

Redoing the backsplash is easier and cheaper. I’m a quartz fan, yep, but if you can only budget for one, I’d make it the backsplash. Good luck!

• eld6161
    3 years ago

I agree.

• Jumjum Dimans
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My kitchen but isnt quartz out of style?

• Jumjum Dimans
    Original Author
    3 years ago

More

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

it's your backsplash that doesn't work.

Now, if you dislike your granite, fine. But don't spend 3-6K on new countertops and fail to fix the one thing in the kitchen doesn't work!

if you like your granite, spend the money for a new backsplash tile.

Or,

you can break up the granite and maintain the tile splash. I've done it. At the worst, you'd have to remove the bottom row of tiles. Or they may be able to fit the counter right under the current splash.

however, that pink travertine tile is rather outdated and really doesn't work w/the more modern, white quartz styles you're picking.

Spend the extra 1-2K and get a new backsplash because it doesn't work with ANY of your quartz choices.

or another option, pick a diff quartz countertop that works w/your travertine tile.

• shellydeebutler
    3 years ago

I really think the granite you have works very well with your cabinets. But I don't think the color of the backsplash does. I do like the texture and pattern of the backsplash, so I would just save the money and whitewash the backsplash.

• John Creek
    3 years ago

agreed, change out your backsplash tiles

• Chickadeedd .
    3 years ago

The backsplash is nice I think. It's soft, as is the floor tile. It's traditional as are the cabinets. SO it's either change the backsplash AND floor, or change the counter to a quartz taupe, picking out the darker tone in the backsplash and floor. If you have a strong preference for quartz, that is what I would do, keeping in mind removing the countertop will be tricky. This will result in a soft traditional vibe. The granite has a stronger look, so if you wanted a black and white high contrast kitchen, it would be good too, more modern. But those floors......are a soft blend of tones!! Either way, it will look great.

• pursue
    3 years ago

I agree that it is the backsplash that is not working. Seems like granite and floor tiles have a gray tone and the backsplash looks too pink. Just a white ceramic tile, subway, or something else would look best. Grout for the backsplash can pick up gray tones of counter. Sometimes I think we over think what is "in."

• jmarco
    3 years ago

I am also on board with doing just the backsplash. Your granite looks great and not dated. The new swirling pattern will date too. And just my opinion, but I have yet to see a quartz that has any depth. Besides, granite is NOT high maintenance....

• ineseholte
    3 years ago

Get a different light fixture and eliminate the clutter. And add some color.

• HU-786049761
    3 years ago

It isn't that your countertop doesn't match your kitchen, it's the backsplash that does not match your counter. You have two busy patterns on top of each other, as well as two different colors. If you simplify your backsplash with a white subway (match cabinet color) tile the granite will be the star player. If you wanted you could even add the herringbone pattern above your stove, but use maybe some rope trim (traditional to match cabinet style) to add some depth and detail. A light grey grout would blend well. If you start with replacing the backsplash you could live with it for awhile and if you decide to replace the counters later, the white tile would go with most anything you wanted to replace it with.

• cjmyles4
    3 years ago

What about painting the backsplash white?

• sandeeteedee
    3 years ago

My suggestion is to live with it as is until you can replace both with something you pick yourself and that you love. If its a new quartz (which I highly recommend!) you can have it cut in tiles or whole pieces and run it up the wall as your backsplash. But think seriously about letting go of that countertop as the goal and find something that contrasts and give some excitement to your kitchen. (How about painting the bottom cupboards a darker color for example?) (How about taking off the upper doors and painting the inside shelves something bold?) (How about changing the floor or adding a giant pattern rug for the time being?) I'd love to see some drama here- have some fun with it and don't get too locked into match-matchy. In a good way...

• trixylarue
    3 years ago

I agree with everyone who is saying it is the backsplash. And the white subway idea is great, budget friendly & neutral in case you decide to replace countertops too. I think you might want to think about repainting your walls....they go more with the current backsplash. I love your countertops. PS. adding some black hardware would help pull it together.

• Linda
    3 years ago

An even less expensive solution might be to try different light bulbs. Warmer or cooler bulbs will change the appearance of the colors in your kitchen. The right one may change your mind about your current surfaces.

Another inexpensive trick is to experiment with different colored accessories. I once had a bathroom with an expensive yellow-green grass cloth wall covering that could not be changed because we were living in a rental. I camouflaged it by choosing a navy floral shower curtain with coral and white flowers and only touches of the hated green, then added navy and coral towels and accessories. In the end, I loved it.

I do agree, however, that I would consider changing the backsplash instead of the granite. Bring home a variety of samples and try them in different areas of the room in different lighting and at different times of the day. Consider white or the lightest neutrals in the granite and floor covering in varying degrees of shine or mat. (The current backsplash looks too dark In the photos and the natural variations in the travertine compete with the pattern of the granite.) A simple tile shape and layout with a light grout probably will work best.

• Irene Robicheaux
    3 years ago

A lot of wonderful suggestions...your back splash choice is the problem overall. You may damage the existing granite if you change it. Agree with an earlier comment, throw in more $$ and do both in lighter tones. Even a gray with veining quartz ( I have a light gray) Your quartz is very busy in appearance. Put in under cabinet lighting. During a simple upgrade post moving to my house, I changed from ugly wood looking vinyl countertops to a quartz (the rage at that time) as a cheap step until a reno. Took 25 years for a reno to occur. I hated that choice...... I chose the more expensive quartz this time, with total reno and have NEVER regretted the expense. No more "rings" on the quartz, staining etc.

• janzian
    3 years ago

If you remove the counter the backsplash will get damaged during demolition. I like it also, but the color makes the countertop and floor look out of place. Try painting the backsplash a warm charcoal before you spend thousands of dollars. Or go with the Mantauk and a solid color gray backsplash. Update your cabinet hardware to something less wimpy. It's a beautiful kitchen, but you are right, the counter is fighting with it's sister right now.

• Brenda Wale
    3 years ago

You have such a lovely kitchen. Why not focus on what decoration you want to add for the holidays and do lots of baking? Maybe add red accents.

• marsharigby
    3 years ago

A lot of personal opinions here. So here is my opinion. You already said you are going to work with your backsplash and what would we suggest for a counter. I find nothing wrong with your backsplash. It works with your cabinets. Kind of a French county look. The counter tops however are all wrong. They are black and white, very busy and are a distraction. Don't get anything that has white or grey tones or pink. It is hard to tell looking from pictures on a computer but the choices you are giving us look too pink. Your pictures of the bourghini gold shows exactly how white works. You need something that is in the creamy beige tones like your cabinets and backsplash. You ask if quarts is out of style - no it's not. If anything it is in style - easy to clean and take care of. Get something that is lighter that your backsplash and about the same color as your cabinets. Choose something simple and not a lot of veining - you don't want to compete with the backsplash like your counters do now. The veining in the pictures of the samples that you have should be about right, just don't get white. Take a door or a drawer with you to shop. White kitchens with shaker cabinets are all that you see on rehab shows on TV. It's getting boring. You have something different, take advantage of it and take your time shopping.

• Katho
    3 years ago

On my screen, the only thing that looks like it has a pinkish tinge is the granite. The backsplash appears to blend perfectly with the floor. While I don’t mind the granite if the color goes well with the backsplash, if you must replace it, do not choose either of the colors you presented. They may be attractive but will offer no contrast. White cabinetry, light taupe-y backsplash and floor will be bland, bland and bland. Either pick a darker color or something with more of a pattern.

• Linda
    3 years ago

Actually, quartz has surpassed both solid surface and granite in popularity. It is available in more colors and patterns than ever. Quartz is less expensive, harder than granite, does not stain, and does not need to be refinished. Both can be damaged by excessive heat. Unlike granite, quartz is also anti-microbial making it a great choice for kitchens and bathrooms.

In all honesty, I’m not sure we are helping much in this situation. It is very hard to evaluate the colors and patterns from small pictures. Also, we do not know the poster’s tastes or what other style, color, and furnishings choices she has made in her home. Perhaps, input from a professional decorator or a trusted friend would be more useful.

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

Keep in mind that removing your countertop may damage your backsplash. Do you have more of those tiles? If not, then the reverse (changing the backsplash) is easier. The countertop does not get ruined if done by a pro. I am sure the above opinions are making you a bit crazy. The countertop and backsplash do not play well together. I would wait till you have the money to do both and you’re only trying to complement your cabinets.

• suecanflynn
    3 years ago

Might as well add one more opinion since you asked :). Paint your backsplash the same color as your cabinets (color match) and then replace both the countertop and the backsplash when you have enough $ to do both (and consider getting a designer for input on selections). I painted my (outdated) backsplash as an interim step - it was super easy, looks much better and is holding up great. There are plenty of youtube videos or posts on Pinterest that explain how to do it.

• Jumjum Dimans
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks guys so much!!!
    Few questions, for those that suggested to white wash or paint my backsplash.. what is the paint for that? I was thinning of more of white wash
    I got a few samples.
    Would these make my kitchen boring though?
    First two pics are emerstone calacatta last two are kstone Carrara (sample for that one is small.. it’s cream but less creamier)

• ineseholte
    3 years ago

The most important thing in dolor is cool and warm. When one looks at something and it feels wrong, it is because it may be a cool white white a warm brown, for instance.

I do not mean that you cannot have green and red together but that they both need to be either cool or warm. I will take paint and put a little of the other color and mix to get it right, That is, a little red in the green and vice versa,

What I see in these photos is cool and warm fighting with each other. You will have to figure out what you have. So if it is warm off whites of your cabinets, you have to go warm. If it is cool, go cool.

On my screen, the colors are not the same warmth.

• ineseholte
    3 years ago

Ugh. Only one contact in my eye. Other broke. No way to fix the word issues!

• shellydeebutler
    3 years ago

Since the surface you have questions about is vertical, make sure that when you have sample colors you stand them up vertically as well so you can see how they look at that angle.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

don't paint the splash. It looks fine as is. Painting it will cheapen it. but if you must try it, try romabio classico, or try some white chalk paint, thinned a bit

• Katho
    3 years ago

I agree with Beth H...paint on the backsplash will cheapen it and I think you would regret it. And as ineseholte said, the counter sample on the left is warmer in color (more of an ivory white), and the Carrara is cooler (gray white). Only one of those will blend with the cabinets and the backsplash. It’s difficult for us to tell in a photo which looks best, but I’m guessing it will be the left one.

• Katho
    3 years ago

Check this out: https://www.houzz.com/photos/kitchen-with-quartz-countertops-and-limestone-backsplash-ideas-phbr2-bp~t_709~a_19-42--21-15785

Cambriausa.com has a tool that lets you see the slab in your kitchen and choose warm or cool.

If Emerstone, what about Azure, Crema Marfil, or even Madreperola?