SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_989851205

Window treatments & furnishings Help in an ADU (small apartment)

54ndy b34ch
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello Houzzers!

I need some suggestions for window treatments throughout the ADU (accessory dwelling unit) that we just built. It is a converted garage w/a small addition, total of about 500 square feet, and most of the windows can be seen from at least one point in the house, so I thought they should match (though I am open to suggestions).

A little background on the unit and its intended use. Initially, it will just be used as a guest house, and we will lightly furnish it (fridge, range, couch, chair, tv, island w/stools, bed, bedside table). I am hoping that ultimately my parents, when they are ready to not take care of their home (or they can't) might consider moving in. Eventually, we may rent it out, but we aren't quite ready for that now.

So, having my parents in mind, I tried to make it look nice (maybe a little plain?) for them in terms of finishings. It is basically one big 12x22 foot room, a hallway and alcove for laundry, a 3/4 bath and a small (about 10x12) bedroom w/a closet. I kept light wood floors (as light as I could go anyway) and light walls with stainless/brushed nickel fixtures, etc. There is a fan for the main room's light but I haven't installed it yet. It is also light wood and nickel.

I can't decide on blinds or curtains or a combination. Since the house is directly behind ours, it needs something for privacy. (we will ultimate add landscaping too...) The windows are not really deep enough for 2" blinds, and since the main door is a patio door with glass, I will need to put something over those windows too. You can see there are some high windows and skylights that don't need anything. So I need to cover: window in living room, patio doors, kitchen sink window, & two bedroom windows--preferably with something neutral and similar.)

If you have an idea for colors for the couch/chairs in the living area, color for the island and bedroom (I was thinking white or grey? or is this too boring?) that would be great too.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Comments (11)