SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_267034879

should raised patio with mortar seating wall have drainage?

HU-267034879
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I’m having a raised patio installed on the south side of my home. The contractor/mason came recommended from a friend and has been in business for 20-25 years. Their patio is fantastic but was made in more retaining block/ paver style. The contractor suggested using mortared block for the perimeter and seating wall and then concrete paver for the floor surface. Up against the westerb most end the patio is less than 3 inches of the ground level but the slope of my property makes it nearly four feet on the eastern end and the south east corner us higher still. There will be steps at the south East corner and in the middle of the western side. The patio will extrude 20 feet from the house and have an 8 inch step down to a ten foot second level. The western steps will be on the higher level and the south East corner on the lower level. The perimeter is now 90% complete and he has installed portions of the seating wall but I noticed there was no drainage system set inside the perimeter nor was any drainage or weeping system set into the mortared perimeter wall. Shame on me for not having more knowledge or the project basis but would this be normal ? Will the lack of any drainage planning be problematic in the future.? I’m in indiana with clay based soil. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments (7)