SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
helaurin93

Shiloh Cabinetry - Inset vs. Full Overlay? Who has them?

helaurin93
3 years ago

Considering Shiloh cabinetry for our kitchen remodel.

Reasons for it include price-point, American-made, all-plywood, Blum hardware - and that this, so far, is the ONLY line of cabinetry with a stained finish (actually, they offer two finishes) that my family can agree on. They also offer inset for no upcharge, IF I so choose. (more on that later).

There are only a few dealers so far that I can find within a reasonable striking distance of where I live.

One swears by them, says they are good.

A second dealer does sell them (rarely), but they favor other cabinet lines - so much so that this dealer hasn't sold a single Shiloh kitchen in at least a year, and they don't have any of their products on display. They said that they will sell Shiloh in the full-overlay door style, but not in an inset line - for that, they only will sell Plato brand. If I want to do the same layout in Plato in an inset line, it will cost about $8,000 more than Shiloh. And, if I want them to match the same finishes we found in Shiloh, that would be an additional upcharge (for an undisclosed amount). Since I'm working with a tight budget - there's no way I'd be able to justify paying $8K for Shiloh inset plus more to match the finishes my family likes.

This second dealer said for Shiloh inset, that the upper cabinets are "hard to hang" and that if not hung perfectly correctly, it creates problems with the inset doors fitting properly. That company doesn't do the actual installation, but does have some contractors they would recommend. I'll also mention that I had bought cabinets for a bathroom remodel from this designer before, and they don't sell that line of cabinets any more either (again, they said they had too many problems with the line of cabinetry that they sold for my bathroom - and so far, I haven't had any issues, but it's only been 3 years). So I don't know what to think about that.

There's a third dealer, but they are farther away and I haven't had a chance to really talk to them yet. I'm hoping to reach out to them by early next week.

Looking for feedback on Shiloh. Not worrying about painted finish, we are only interested in their stained finishes. I am concerned about what their quality is like for inset - I would have liked inset, but not if there are problems with it. If it came down to picking Shiloh for the finish and taking full overlay, vs. fighting with family to find another cabinetry line/finish that we could all agree on just to try to get inset - I'll pick Shiloh full overlay.

But if there really aren't major issues with Shiloh inset cabinetry (or if those issues no longer exist) - I'd like to know. And if there are actually major issues with Shiloh inset - then I'd like to know that too.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments (41)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm