SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jhcbflorida

Replace 4 panel glass sliding door?

3 years ago

Hello,

We recently purchased a home that was built in 1984. It still has original glass sliding doors / windows and we are on a lake in humid and hot Florida. We have a large 4 panel glass sliding pocket door that slides like butter (which is surprising)....but the frame of it (dark bronze) is very worn on the exterior and looks awful. It also seems to be the wrong size door for the space....as it has a lot of play in it. It closes and locks...but you can move it about 4 inches side to side. And it obviously is not very air tight as we can feel air come through on a windy day.

Would love some advice / opinions please.

1) Is it possible to paint these doors? I believe they are either steel or aluminum but very sturdy. If so...what do you recommend for paint?

2) I doubt there's anything that can be done with the play in the door....so I'm not sure what I'm asking here. :) But if anyone has any suggestions...I welcome them.

3) If we were to replace the door for these reasons....what material would you get? I definitely would want to stay with a dark bronze for interior and exterior to keep it consistent.

After reading through Houzz, it seems like the some people like the vinyl while others prefer the aluminum. But would love to hear opinions and experiences for both.

Comments (14)