SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_909733091

Do you prefer having a sink in your laundry room or not?

Summer H
3 years ago

Hi all,

We have a 2 sink guest bathroom right in front of the laundry and I cant justify the need of the laundry sink honestly.

Our current house doesnt have one but we've been just fine without it. Is it because we haven't experieced the charm of laundry sink and I'll enjoy it if I have one?
Do you really use it a lot and is it something you think is the must when you're looking for a new house? Thanks!

Comments (64)

• greg_2015
    3 years ago

I don't have a sink in the laundry room and I don't miss it. But I do have a 'utility' sink elsewhere in the basement. I couldn't imagine living without it. Great for cleaning paint brushes and filling buckets and what not.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I had one in a former home and it just served as a catch all for the detritus dropped by everyone coming in the back door. I had a counter installed over it, handy for folding clean clothes. I don’t have one now and if I did I’d probably get rid of it too.

Edited to add: no pets or kids here and we are not on a farm.

• Related Discussions

Do you have mechanicals in your laundry room?

Q

Comments (8)
    Oh, too bad about the mechanicals being in the laundry room. I know laundry room space isn't really public space but oftentimes, when I have overnight guests, they wind up asking if they can use my washer/dryer so I wouldn't be at all happy having all that stuff on display in my laundry room either! You could put a nice shoji screen around the water softener to hide it but I would advise against using a shoji screen to hide the water heaters. Water heaters REQUIRE a certain clearance between them and any flamable objects - which, IMHO, makes having water heaters in the laundry room where clothes are likely to be scattered on a floor a dumb idea in the first place - don't know WHY that became the spot of choice for them in basementless homes! If you tried to use a shoji screen to hide the water heaters, it would probably wind up getting pushed back too close to the water heaters and create a possible fire hazard. Is there no possible way to move all that stuff out to the garage? If not, have you considered getting tankless water heaters instead of tanks? Tankless heaters are much smaller and much less ugly than tanks - but of course they do cost quite a bit more.
    ...See More

what type of lighting do you have in your laundry room?

Q

Comments (5)
    Mine is in the basement, so I have one window that provides very little light and two pair of fluorescent tubes. Unlike the other posters, though, I have a miserable time examining clothes for stains and the like. I was thinking of switching to full-spectrum tubes, but it sure would be nice to know if they would change anything positively before I spent that kind of money.
    ...See More

Need your vote: where would you prefer the laundry?

Q

Comments (49)
    nosoccermom, I would love to have my laundry in a basement again, because of peace and quiet, and out of sight. I would love to have it there, so that I could have canvas hampers for different loads of laundry and have them out of sight, and I have several things, that I dont put in the dryer, that I put on a clothes drying rack, and I hate having to set it up in the laundry room. My laundry room is quite large, and is actually a mud room/laundry combination. My back door opens up into it, and there is full bath at the other end of it. Also, in our last house, I had a drain hose pop out and flood the entire laundry room, and part of my hallway, so would love to have the washer and dryer in a basement, next to a floor drain. This house and my last house are the only 2 houses, I have ever lived in, that didnt have a basement laundry, and it is the one thing, I miss the most.
    ...See More

If Your Laundry Room Has a Door, Do You Keep it Open?

Q

Comments (21)
    We're still living with our door OFF of the laundry room. It's just a regular door that swings in but it's remarkable how much room my tiny 5x6 laundry room has now. DH is just waiting on word from me to either hang the door (don't want to) or case the opening...but I don't want to not be able to have the option to rehang the door. I think with a little of the trim paint, we can make it look pretty darn good. That's what we'll do. Now DH gets to find a place to store the door and get it out of the den :)
    ...See More
  • nini804
    3 years ago

Like others...ours is a deep utility sink in my laundry room. I couldn’t live without it...not so much for laundry (although at times it’s used for that) but for any yucky purpose that I would NOT want in my kitchen sink! Paint, craft projects, I polish my silver in there and rinse the pieces in the sink, dd has tie dyed shirts in it....the list goes on and on.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    3 years ago

My laundry has a cast iron enameled sink, 14" deep and 22" wide. I love it. Though admittedly use it more for a utility sink than for laundry related things. It's the first sink in the house when coming in from garden, garage, office and has seen a lot of hand washing this year! It's built into a tiled folding counter and original to the 1955 house. Spotless after all these years. It's not that many steps from the kitchen or guest bath but still sees much use. I would definitely miss not having it.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    3 years ago

I like having one, it's great for clean-up jobs that you don't want to use the kitchen sink for, and keeping soaking buckets in, washing hands, rinsing/hand-wringing laundry items, etc. So like Morz8, I see it as more of a utility sink -- very convenient.

• tideman_59
    3 years ago

Have always had a utility/laundry sink in all the homes that I have lived in. They have always gotten frequent use. I personally wouldn't want to live in a home without one.

• sheepla
    3 years ago

Have had one and never used it. When we build, we are going to put a dog washing station instead.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

What justification do you have for providing two sinks in a guest bathroom?

• chloebud
    3 years ago

Mark, our house has 2 sinks in the guest bath put in by the previous owners. I do understand your question, but it's worked well.

Summer, I love having a sink in the laundry room. We use it more for non-laundry uses already mentioned here. Our laundry room happens to be on the other end of the house from the guest bath.

• Mrs Pete
    3 years ago

I have never had one and with the new washers reallyno need for one .My washer has all kinds of choices for soaking, sanitary so none in my laundry now either .

Agree. I've never had one, never wished for one. My mother had a utility sink in the laundry /mudroom when I was growing up -- it was literally never used; well, that's not true: it often held "waiting loads", but it was never used as a sink.

We also have a 2 sink guest bath right across the hall - but I don't love the idea of using those sinks for what I would need a laundry sink for!

If the goal is to have a washing-up sink near the back door, it makes sense to have a bathroom opening into the laundry ... then a sink is nearby for these rinsing-soaking needs that some people seem to have ... but it's also serving as a bathroom sink. Everything you put into a house should earn its keep ... and double duty is better than a single-use item.

Like others...ours is a deep utility sink in my laundry room.

The bathroom sinks in my current house are fancy-schmancy, but they're shallow. Deep sinks are so much better. I miss my plain-but-deep sinks from my old house.

What justification do you have for providing two sinks in a guest bathroom?

I don't see any justification for duplicate sinks anywhere. In general, I think most houses on this board are wastefully over-sinked ... often at the expense of storage.

Have had one and never used it. When we build, we are going to put a dog washing station instead.

Yes, if I were going to put a sink into a laundry, I'd add a dog-washing spray nozzle. With a few carefully chosen details, a sink could serve the laundry AND be a dog wash station. If you're going to do this, I suggest you search out /carefully evaluate self-wash stations in pet stores.

Last thought: Am I the only person here who doesn't clean paintbrushes on a regular basis?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

I thought you were "building a home".

• chispa
    3 years ago

Every house we have owned has had a laundry/utility sink in the laundry room and I wouldn't build a house without one. If you don't have room for a sink in the laundry, then a utility sink in the garage will work just as well.

• mainenell
    3 years ago

I’d love to have a utility sink to get the paint brush cleaning out of my kitchen. Since we are a six unit rental property I have paint brush clean up at my kitchen sink all summer long. (We did make a couple of changes this summer to corral some of the mess.) and DH does not clean up the sink and area well after he cleans brushes.

• Cavimum
    3 years ago

We have a laundry sink. It is quite small and gets used regularly. Even though we don't use fabric softener, the dispenser (of our washing machine) often has one or two Tablespoons of water left in it after a cycle. It is just so handy to dump it into that sink. And small hand washables. And priming the hot water pipes before starting the washer, although your guest bathroom sinks can serve that purpose.

• arcy_gw
    3 years ago

We have owned or rented well over 20 homes in my life and they all had laundry sinks. I have used mine to wash dogs, clean paint brushes, clean filters, all sort of things one does not want THAT mess in their bathroom for. I can't imagine not having it.

• Jennifer K
    3 years ago

For me, a laundry/utility sink is a necessity. I am forever painting/gardening/messing about and a deep comfortable sink where I can make a mess makes life so much better. But then I usually think new homes have way too much being space and not enough doing space.

Here's my laundry sink. It's easy to clean, capacious, at exactly the right height for me, and (dare I say) pretty too.

Pretty and functional · More Info

• vinmarks
    3 years ago

We have a utility sink not in the laundry room but in our mechanical room. I've never used it for laundry. We use it primarily for when we change our sediment filter.

• ILoveRed
    3 years ago

We have four kids. Our last two are seniors in hs. We do not need a laundry room sink now but when my kids were younger I used it constantly. I think it often depends on what stage of life you are in.

if you have young kids and no utility sink, how will you soak dirty clothes, crocs, athletic shoes, etc? You can use the bathroom, but I would prefer to have a utility sink.

• sprink1es
    3 years ago

Last house I didn't do one because I had a utility sink in the garage right next to it (down 4 steps, into the colder/dirty garage...) Garage one ended up getting dirty from car stuff. Regretted not having the laundry sink

Current house has one, but there's also not another sink right next to the laundry room. 1000% great for kids (soaking stained clothes), we store our cleaning items in the laundry room so we fill mop buckets and shampooers with it, we coincidentally put our cat food/water dishes in the laundry room so that's convenient to refill, then just wet/dirty rags from cleaning up after kids we tend to throw into the sink until it's time to wash towels. Also the shape/depth of a utility sink is just easier to "fill things with" compared to a shallow bathroom sink

I think it makes more sense if laundry is up on 2nd floor, but I'd still recommend a laundry/utility sink in a ranch too. If you're short of counter space, buy one that has a cover on it

• hisown
    3 years ago

My laundry room is too small to include a sink, but I would definitely add one if I could.

• armjim
    3 years ago

I would never be without one if at all possible. In terms of using it for laundry functions, it is in that sink I wash out the FS dispenser. Rinsing Cleaning rags, emptying the reservoir from a spot cleaning machine, gas grill cleaning-it is very, very useful.

• One Devoted Dame
    3 years ago

Never had one, but I'd kill for one. Seriously.

Using the nearby hall bath works for some things (not soaking, 'cause I only have 1 sink on a counter run that could've accommodated 2, in that bathroom; I'm okay flushing paint in there since I don't want to use the kitchen sink for cleaning brushes), but I'd looooove to have one.

[And yep, we do a lot of painting. Home *and* art.]

Seven kidlets here, aged 14 years, down to 1 month old. Something always needs stain treating/soaking. I'm kinda tired of draping clothes over empty laundry baskets, or using large mixing bowls/buckets. :-/ Sigh.

It's not a total deal breaker for me, though... Just because I have so many other deal breakers that "laundry sink" never gets past the top 3. (House orientation/depth, number of bedrooms all on a single floor that are also clustered together, and kitchens with windows are my holy grail -- can't seem to find those 3 elements anywhere, so I never even get to the laundry room, lol.)

• doc5md
    3 years ago

The dog wash comment was funny because we are putting in a sink and a dog wash in the laundry room :)

And yes, my laundry sink has always been the paintbrush washing station in every house I've lived in!

• nhb22
    3 years ago

Our new laundry room will have a sink. It's a must in my house! In previous homes, we have had one. The laundry rooms were near a back door. Like others, we used it for everything from cleaning paint brushes and washing dogs, to soaking laundry. I use it the most for hanging wet sweaters, linen shirts, and knit pants, etc. over the sink to drip dry. Those things that I do not want to dry in the dryer, yet they wrinkle if they are spun in the spin cycle and then hung up. Instead, I take them straight from the rinse cycle and hang over the sink.

Our new laundry room will be near our Master bedroom this time. No outside entrance nearby. We will have the sink for laundry purposes, only. In a corner of our garage, we will have a utility sink for the dirty work like washing the dog (getting an oversized sink), washing hands and tools after gardening, and cleaning paint brushes.

We will have an upstairs guest bathroom that is attached to the bedroom. Two sinks so our overnight guest each have their own sink. Our downstairs guest bathroom will have a single for day visitors. Wouldn't have it any other way!

• cupofkindnessgw
    3 years ago

In some homes, the washing machine drains dirty water into a utility sink. More common decades ago then nowadays... This would be an enormous, deep utility sink (ours was industrial plastic standing on it's own "legs") that could hold nearly as much water as a washing machine tub. God help us if that sink ever clogged, which is one reason why lint filters used to be inside the washing machine.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 years ago

Jennifer - I LOVE your laundry sink. So pretty, so functional. I don't have a sink where my laundry area is and I sorely miss it when I have to do any of those things that you list that are so messy. And it would be nice for soaking something that needs a utility sink too. Did you install that yourself? Or at least find that particular sink and direct the install?

• Robbin Capers
    3 years ago

Our main laundry will be in an alcove near the bedrooms, and small things that need soaking or rinsing can be done in the bathrooms. We have two adolescent/teen boys who are reasonably neat. We'll have another laundry set with a big utility sink in the heated garage to service a couple of rental cabins. I definitely see that sink getting a lot of use.

• Jennifer K
    3 years ago

@prairiemoon2 z6b MA, thanks! I found the sink on kijiji (like Craigslist). It's a discontinued Kohler model called 'Sudbury'. Getting a drain fitting for it was a real production! When we remodelled the basement, the sink was one of things I had to have. I got the carpenters to build me a "table" for it to sit on at exactly the right height. Very well worth it, and not terribly expensive.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 years ago

Jennifer, I looked at the other photos of your laundry space and I was really impressed. I love the tile by the way. And I would not have chosen that color green, but it really works and the tile makes it sing. I'm usually a fan of maroon and blues and gold. Green is a color I've never used in a home, even though I like a lot of greens. So many nice touches - the shelf to prevent things from falling behind the dryer. What are the three balls on the shelf? And what is that very thin bar of soap, which looks herbal? And I see you have a freezer, and I’m really very curious as to why you mounted it on a shelf with a drawer? Is that a basement? The window is large. And what is under the counter next to the stool? Is it a de-humidifier? Is that a shelf above the washer/dryer or a rack for hanging clothes? Last question - where the paper towels are, you have in the wall drawers? Are they deep? Love the wood counters. That is a great job on a very cheerful functional work space. I’d find it a pleasure to work in.

• Jennifer K
    3 years ago

@prairiemoon2 z6b MA I'm blushing! Thanks. :)

In answer to your questions:

• The 3 balls are felt dryer balls, used to decrease static.
    • The soap is a handmade, local gardeners soap. The brown part has some roughness to it.
    • We put the freezer on a plinth so we could have accessible drawer storage below it instead of inaccessible cupboard storage above it. As well, my husband is very tall and not very flexible. So raising the bottom of the freezer helps him a lot.
    • The laundry is in the basement. We're fortunate in the size of the windows.
    • Yes, that's a dehumidifier-- essential in August, but not so much the rest of the year.
    • There is an Ikea dryer rack on the wall above the washer and dryer.
    • And the built-ins by the paper towel go under the stairs. So the drawers are about 32" deep. (one of my most dearly desired improvements to this space!)

The green is a bit of a departure for me too. I love colour and have lots of it in my house. But this green is a lot brighter than I usually go. I took the colour from the tile; it just seemed the only right possibility. Glad you like it.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 years ago

Jennifer, Well, I am impressed with how well thought out your renovation is and such great details that make your space so useable. And a lot of things that are so functional yet don't seem to cost a huge amount of money to accomplish either. Very good job!

• mainenell
    3 years ago

I love that the freezer is on a pedestal!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 years ago

Jennifer - I'm wondering, how did you know that the weight of the freezer was not going to be too heavy? You say it is a plinth - is it like the base for a front loading washer? Is a freezer full of food heavier than a washer?

Do you buy the soap for a special purpose since it has a rough side?

• Jennifer K
    3 years ago

That plinth (yes, like for a washer) is so solid I think we could drive the car on it! The carpenters knew what it was for so they built it accordingly. But since every litre of water weighs a kilo, it wouldn't surprise me if a full washer were heavier than a full freezer.

The soap is something a friend was making for gardeners. The rough side is good for scrubbing out dirt that gets ingrained in your hands.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 years ago

Great, I see, you had carpenters build it specifically for the freezer. Makes sense. Thanks Jennifer.

• Chessie
    3 years ago

"if you have young kids and no utility sink, how will you soak dirty clothes, crocs, athletic shoes, etc? You can use the bathroom, but I would prefer to have a utility sink."

Never had a laundry room sink, but I have always had a double kitchen sink. Makes it easy to use one side for soaking, Never needed to soak shoes though LOL. I just scrub them in the sink - I do that probably once or twice a year for MY shoes. If something needs to soak for a long while, I use a bucket.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    3 years ago

I WISH I had a sink in my laundry room. I don't even have a laundry room (I have a laundry closet), but if I did, I'd definitely want one.

• Amy Gonzalez
    3 years ago

I don't have a laundry sink and I have to wash shoes in the kitchen sink. we are in the process of getting ready to build and we have one in the floor plans that is large enough to wash my little dog.

• L
    3 years ago

I have 3 young boys and never use our laundry sink. I don’t find myself soaking their clothes ever. Occasionally if one wets himself and the washer is going I will through the wet article of clothing in the sink until the washer is free.
    We do have a small one because when we remodeled our designer insisted we needed on. We are designing a new home and will include a small one in there as well. Again, I never use it but maybe I will one day....because #fomo

• Emily
    3 years ago

I am honestly not sure you can have too many sinks. If budget and space allows, I'd certainly have one. We're just starting to build our new home, and we have a laundry sink AND a utility sink in the garage, fairly close together. But I envision the garage utility sink being used for the really messy stuff (cleaning paint brushes, bike cleaning stuff, washing our hands when we've been gardening, etc.), while the laundry room sink will be more for hand-washing certain clothing items and other miscellaneous household tasks (rinsing cleaning rags, etc.)

• K H
    3 years ago

Laundry/mud room sink is a must! We are a farm family and it serves a purpose of filling up calf bottles and washing garden goodies! Plus I can soak stained clothing as well.

• ci_lantro
    3 years ago

Have always had a laundry sink. Every house including the one I grew up in. Would never want to be without one.

• armjim
    3 years ago

L said: We are designing a new home and will include a small one in there as well. Again, I never use it but maybe I will one day....because #fomo

That caught my eye and I thought I would comment. If you are in the stage where you can choose things for a new home, I recommend you select a deep sink. Even if you can't imagine using it, and if you never do, you won't have sacrificed much. If just that one time you needed if for something garden related or car related or something in addition to laundry activities, you will be glad you made the decision. Our LR has built in cabinets, and the sink is very deep. We do a lot of landscaping and I wash our automobiles, so it has been very, very useful.

• pcze77
    3 years ago

I have a question for a small laundry room remodel. What type of laundry sink will withstand paint brushes, kids, General house messes? I would like stainless steel but what brand and size? I am considering a 12 inch depth like our current very old plastic utility tub. Thank you.

• suezbell
    3 years ago

My preference would be to have my laundry room to be part of (washer / dryer closet in) my mud room located beside my kitchen -- between kitchen and carport/garage or screened porch -- with a deep double stainless steel sink in the kitchen -- so I'd not need a laundry sink.

That said, if you have pets, or ever expect to have them, you should consider adding the large deep laundry room sink with a high ark side swing faucet with a sprayer so you don't need to bathe the pets in the family bathtub. If you choose one wide enough, you'd also be able to wash window blinds and other items without crawling around on your knees to reach them in the bottom of the tub as well.

• arcy_gw
    3 years ago

I have never soaked anything in mine either. It's so full of paint splashes and what not it isn't clean enough for that! I soak items in my laundry tub. Mine is a single sink on it's own legs looks like every tub I have ever seen but it's some plastic material. Back in the day they were heavy, black I think slate.

• enduring
    3 years ago

Went for years without a sink in the basement laundry area. Now I have one installed and it sure beats using the shower to rinse things, or clean out a bucket, etc.

• A Seybo
    3 years ago

Love my utility sink, great for occasional cat or dog cleaning! Paint brushes, dirty shoes and other things I would never clean in my kitchen or bathroom sinks.

• cobalty2004
    3 years ago

I like them for the same reason A Seybo stated above.

• maieranne
    3 years ago

I wish we would have put a sink in laundry room. Now I have to carry wet clothes either dripping or in a bucket from nearest bathroom to laundry room. Do it!