SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kfx216

Need examples of modern front porch enclosure...and other recos

kfx216
3 years ago

Hi, after 2 years of searching, I've found a small house with 3 BRs. Yay for 3BR! I have 2 daughters and renting a 2 BR of the same size hasn't been ideal, so I'm looking for ways to make my small 1050 sf house "live large" and am looking for the open, modern concept.

1) My contractor recommended enclosing the front porch to make it part of the LR/DR. Has anyone done this or know of pics where this has been done? I'd love to do this it's not the type of area where you sit on the front porch plus I hope to add a deck and 3 seasons room in the back yard some time in the future.

2) I'm wondering if enclosing the side porch will help, maybe with a pantry or even a tiny mud room. I am looking at reconfiguring the kitchen to put a door where the window is above the kitchen sink to access a future deck/3 seasons room.

3) All the windows are shot (this has been a long-term rental). I'm hoping to put in taller windows. Getting estimates now.

4) I hope to vault the ceilings in the LR/DR/kitchen. Also remove the wall in the center between kitchen/DR.

5) My contractor also said a small bump out by the bath is within my price range - I'm trying to fit a tiny master bath (shower only). I also wonder if extending the bump out further to expand the master (front) bedroom by a few feet would help. I'd love to have my own bath separate from kids and keep my old king bed, although that may be what I have to give up. The bed I mean - I have to have the bath! :)

All recos welcome and much appreciated! Thanks!

Comments (15)