SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
socalnolympia

rare cold hardy citrus collection

socalnolympia
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I'll share with you some of my plants.

This is in Olympia, WA. (climate zone 8a)

This is what is called a "Bloomsweet grapefruit"

It's not a real grapefruit. The fruits supposedly could best be described as somewhere in-between a grapefruit and orange, but seedy and a little watery and insipid. From what I've researched, this is believed to be an old obscure variety in Japan known as "Kinkoji", and originated as a cross between another variety known as "Kunenbo" and "buntan". "Buntan" is simply a Japanese pomelo. Kunenbo was simply a large sized very aromatic mandarin, almost similar to a tangor, but very seedy. Along with Kishu mandarin, Kunenbo was one of the original two parents of "unshiu-mikan", what we know as "Satsuma mandarin". So that would make Bloomsweet a close sibling related to Satsuma mandarin. However, Bloomsweet is even slightly more cold hardy than Satsuma.

It is planted in the ground, in a warm sunny spot, with a brick wall only two and half feet behind it. It was not protected this winter.

This is my new Keraji mandarin

Keraji mandarin is very difficult to find these days. It is similar to Satsuma mandarin, but smaller fruit size and somewhat more sour, and has seeds. But it is said that Keraji can survive down to maybe 12 or 14 degrees F, making it significantly more cold hardy than Satsuma mandarin. A Japanese genetic marker study found that Keraji started from Shikuwasa that was then backcrossed with Kunenbo three separate times (to make a long story short).

The plant you see has not gone through a winter yet (in all fairness).

Jim in Vancouver, WA grafted it for me.

As an experiment, I also planted a very small Keraji seedling (growing on its own roots), and it has survived through two winters so far, but has really not done well or grown very much. The first winter it was covered, but it was an unusually cold winter that year and buried under more than a foot of snow. It died back almost entirely to the ground, but by June it started to regrow. Eventually it grew some leaves. It's currently only about 2 inches tall. But it survived the last winter without a cover. The leaves do not look like a very healthy color, but it did grow three small leaves this year.

All pictures taken today, November 2, 2020

Comments (17)