SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Window casings/trim help

mxk3 z5b_MI
3 years ago

I have these Marvin windows all through the house, all stained the same color -- which I don't like, it is orange-y and limiting to decorate around. So, I'd like to change the color, either sand/re-stain or replace the casings. Is one option better? Would the end result be better and less costly to just start over with fresh casings? What do I do about the frame - can that be re-stained or am I stuck with it? I usually always open the curtains during the day for the beautiful light that comes into the house, it would look bad to have frame and casing different color.

I know this isn't going to be cheap, I have 13 windows, a patio door, and a bay window to do, but if I can get a general idea what's involved and a general idea of cost I can plan for it. Who would I even call for this kind of job?

(the plastic sill protector is because of the dog)

Actually, these windows aren't installed that great, they're kind of drafty and some of them get fogged up when the conditions are just right -- I'm also thinking if re-doing all the trim is more than $10K or so I might just pony up for new windows all together.

Any comments/advice appreciated.

Comments (7)