SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

CF shout out to John Liu, Annie1992 and NatureGirl!

l pinkmountain
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Digressing slightly from my CF membership goals, moving on to benefits, here's a shout out to John Lui and Annie1992 for not only helping me fulfill my cooking goals, but also being all around SWELL people!! Also NatureGirl for being a wonderful person from today and going way, way back with me!

About six years ago John sent me a spare Cuisinart food processor because mine went down due to the motor wearing out. Haven't used it that much over the past couple of years, but every time I do, I think of you John! Used it yesterday to make a big batch of home made garden fresh tomato sauce. Used most of the sauce to make baked penne. Still have tomatoes left so I think I am going to make and can some more. I'll probably be using the Cuisinart again. I'll send you a jar if I am successful!

And then this spring, Annie bailed out my butt after I was unprepared for a pandemic tomato season and didn't start any tomato plants. I had planned on getting them at my local plant sale as usual but it was cancelled this year . . . so totally last minute, Annie sent me some spare tomato seeds. I just pulled the last of the tomatoes out of the garden bed. I had been covering them to keep them ripening but it is even too cold now for that. Now the rush is on to get them all processed!

Oh, and shout out to NatureGirl for getting me up to speed on green tomato ripening techniques. I used to keep them in a basement, when I had one, but no more. They are now sitting in my shower room/greenhouse. I am all ears for green tomato uses . . . I plan on some salsa verde and green tomato chili sauce and maybe green tomato relish or chutney. Not a big relish user though, I still have stuff from two years ago in the pantry . . . maybe that needs to be one of my goals, use more relish in my cooking!

Comments (6)

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    3 years ago

Aw, thanks, L. Gotta love garden tomatoes in November. Yours look like they will ripen for awhile yet. I do not do anything with tomatoes while they are green - no help with recipe ideas. But I hear you on using up pantry items.

• John Liu
    3 years ago

I’m glad you are still using the FP!

My little family of Cuisinarts lived happily together for awhile, cuddling on the shelves, with greybeard CFP-5 telling stories about life in France and his upbringing in the Robot Coupe factory, while the DLCs chattered amongst themselves in Japanese and tried on their growing collection of blades and accessories. Sometimes there was trouble when two FPs each wanted to play with the beater accessory, but life was mostly tranquil.

Kids have to leave the nest. One DLC packed its blades and flew away to your kitchen. Another moved to college with DD, and is now working on a second degree with DS. The third took over duties in my kitchen, even earning itself a new bowl and lid.

CFP-5 relaxes in the basement, enjoying his well-deserved retirement. Someday he’ll be pressed into service for a particularly large party, but with Covid turning us into hermits eating the very most boring cooking, I expect he’ll be keeping the Magic Mill, my spare ice cream maker, and SWMBO’s KitchenAid company for a few months more.

I have, as you might imagine, paused on the Cuisinart collecting. I’ve moved on to espresso machines and, lately, vintage calculators. Have you any need for a calculator . . . ?

• annie1992
    3 years ago

LOL, John, I just gave a brand new adding machine with paper tape to the Township Treasurer, I don't even know why I had it. I'm emotionally attached to my old solar powered $3 calculator. (grin)

L, you are more than welcome. As you know, I grow way too many tomatoes, and try different varieties every year. And then I save seeds from the ones I like and that grow well. As a result, I always have seeds for next year, and I'm happy to share! I'm glad yours did well, mine were done 6 weeks ago!

Naturegirl also visited me and gave me some walking onions, which are at the edge of my garlic bed, I'm hoping they like it there!

Annie

• l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Love the Cuisinart history John! That's another plus of CF, the great stories behind the food! Sorry I went all dyslexic on your last name. Spelling is not my forte . . . or typing. Am I the only one who's brain has gone to pot this year? It's not the pandemic, it's anxiety watching so many leaders act like that jerk in high school with the smart aleck comments that everyone thought was cool and you were happy to leave behind for adulthood when you graduated. Not someone I'd trust my future to then or now . . .

The Cuisinart now lives under my stove on the groovy pull out shelf hubs made for me, keeping company with baking trays, a splatter guard, a pizza stone and my pizza pans, a metal salad spinner, a large pot and some random lids. I use it for cutting in butter for pie crusts and scones, for hummus, cheese spread, vegetarian bean-and-nut-based sauces, and pesto, to name some of the most popular uses.

Annie I'm saving the seeds from the Tasmanian chocolate ones. They are salad tomatoes with great flavor. I was skeptical but I really like them. Kind of like a Costoluto Genovese but more productive and healthier. I haven't had success with Costoluto Genovese in the past although a colleague of mine from work got a bountiful and beautiful harvest. It may have been because I grew mine in a pot, which it was not suited for. The Tasmanian Chocolates did very well in pots. Not as tall or leggy as the CG.

• Sarah W.
    3 years ago

I make green tomato curry every year with my green tomatoes - it's from the Kitchn website:

https://www.thekitchn.com/green-tomato-fi-35986

Freezes well and is adaptable to whatever spices or other vegetables I want to throw in - e.g., kale, swiss chard, or other late greens. I freeze in single portion sizes, and then have an easy lunch when needed...