SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
functionthenlook

Happy Halloween. Candy?

functionthenlook
3 years ago

Ours starts in an 1/2 hour. 6-8. We have the grands tonight so we are taking them over the hill to the housing plan to trick or treat. We live on a private road so we don't get any kids. What kind of candy do you give out. How many kids do you usually get. Or are you the house that gets tricks. The toilet paper and/or eggs because you don't give out candy.

Comments (47)

• schoolhouse_gwagain
    3 years ago

Live on a country road, no kids nearby anymore. I usually participate in "Trunk or Treat" at the church parking lot in town, but they chose not to have it this year. I completely understand but am disappointed. Plus I had already decided not to risk it.

Didn't buy one bag of candy! I can't believe it, not even chocolate.

functionthenlook thanked schoolhouse_gwagain
  • chloebud
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Ours have been dwindling the past few years. We'll be gone tonight but I doubt there will be many. More likely none this year since it's being discouraged.

I know they banned both door-to-door and car-based trunk-or-treating in Beverly Hills. Anyone seen doing it will be cited. It could be the same in other locations where people come from long distances creating huge crowds of trick-or-treaters.

functionthenlook thanked chloebud
  • Related Discussions

My limited Halloween Decorating

Q

Comments (10)
    Thank you Candy :). Karen: TY. Mickey is doing very well considering. It's been 3 weeks today and he's getting a bit grumpy but still holding steady. I didn't give him one of the Kong toys as I know he'd make the biggest mess you can imagine. lol Instead I bought him one of those roll around toys you put treats in and they have to work to get them out. He really likes it and doesn't really overwork himself to get them out like I figured he would. He plays with it for a bit, then gets tired and goes to sleep. He's gotton down a good routine now (out of crate, get leash on , get big drinks, go outside to business, come back in , shop toy box - pick toy of choice, and back to crate, yell for cookie - take nap). He does better if we're not in the room with him so I've resorted to living in other parts of the house. It tears me up that he's in the living room alone, but I tried that and he got sooo worked up wanting out that no more of that. :( He goes back on the 14th for the last shots and we do this all over again for at least 4 more weeks and then hopefully!! he's healthy and free from jail on Nov 12th. Thank you for asking about him :).
    ...See More

What to do with leftover Halloween candy.

Q

Comments (12)
    We love Halloween! We want the kids to come to the door. We deck the porch out in all it's goulish Halloween decor, give out King Size candybars and love the costumes the kids and teens wear. If there are any candybars left over, we keep a few for ourselves and then bring the rest into work. Our trick or treat night is Sunday. We will see how many kids we get with the 3-5 inches of snow the weathermen are predicting for Saturday night! Happy Halloween everyone, NancyLouise
    ...See More

What's your Halloween candy / treat to be?

Q

Comments (30)
    Last few year we have had only 1-5 kids and we lived in a small town, but at the edge. This year in the assisted living home, they open the doors for about 2 hours and they say the get 100-200 kids. BUT it is he clients choice. If they want to give, they put a picture of a pumpkin on their door, or just sit in the hallway. If you don't want to do anything, just keep the door closed. Today, all the staff dressed up in costumes and the resident s really enjoyed it. It was fun
    ...See More

Halloween candy honor system

Q

Comments (71)
    I had 12 full size Reese's pumpkins ready for the kids. Our door bell rang from 6-7:15. We had just the right amount!! :( I wouldn't have minded ONE for me!! LOL. All our kids come with parents so I am pretty sure Bunny's plan would work for us. I love to see our neighborhood kids and their costumes so always answer my door! We had a big celebration with our students yesterday. I make Kettle korn for them. At the end of the day with the nice weather I panicked and brought some left overs home, just in case.
    ...See More
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    3 years ago

Fortunately, door to door trick or treating is being strongly discouraged this year and the vast majority of people in my area are going to find alternative ways to have fun tonight.

functionthenlook thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • Fun2BHere
    3 years ago

We rarely have a trick-or-treater here. I keep a bowl of quarters on hand just in case. I don't buy any candy for Halloween.

functionthenlook thanked Fun2BHere
  • wildchild2x2
    3 years ago

This is the first year our house will be dark due to Covid 19.

We usually give out Tootsie Roll pops. In the past we discovered that given a choice kids went for the pops. Even the teens. So we give out those and have a back-up bag of the small candy bars.

My all time favorite candy to give out when the kids were young was See's Sugar Sticks. I would buy them by the case in multi colored fruit flavors, not the Halloween black and orange ones. Everyone loved getting them. But they stopped making them some years ago.

I took Boo Bags to the grand kids yesterday. They love anything arts and crafts so I stuffed a lot of that in their bags. Velvet posters, wooden toy paint sets, Shrinky Dinks, coloring and activity books. neon and sparkle marker kits etc. Each got 13 chocolate coins, six black and six orange and a gold one for good luck. I did stop at See's and get them each a sucker in a little Halloween pumpkin tin.

functionthenlook thanked wildchild2x2
  • Lala
    3 years ago

I have seen a lot of yard decorations in our neighborhood, so I'm assuming trick or treating is on. Instead of answering the door, I'm putting a bowl of candy on the porch. It has M&M's, Skittles and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. I won't be upset if there are leftover peanut butter cups :)

I wasn't ambitious enough to make a candy chute.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    3 years ago

I never have Trick or Treaters here in the country. Not even my little granddaughter, but this year since she can't go trunk or treating, I had them stop by and I gave her big bag of goodies, not a bit of candy in it. She was thrilled with what I had for her.

Grandma Sue

functionthenlook thanked Marilyn Sue McClintock
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    3 years ago

I have candy, as always, but this neighborhood gets few trick or treaters. It's hilly, just a few spaced out houses, and I think children feel too much effort to come down the wooded street from the more evenly spaced homes on the main residential street above us.

That's a little bit of a disappointment for DH since moving from our old neighborhood that saw a lot of activity, he's always enjoyed Halloween. But trick or treating is being discouraged this year - I really don't know if children will be out. The weather is perfect for it, but if we see more than a handful if that, I will be surprised.

Our downtown has always had costume party and store to store treats for the children the Saturday afternoon before Halloween. Well attended enough we made it a point not to be driving through downtown that day, little monsters running in all directions ;0) It was cancelled this year.

There are no younger children living on our street. (One high school aged, two in junior college classes). I'm ready if a neighbor comes into the driveway with their granddaughter, and we may see a niece with her two toddlers...but overall I expect to see a quiet evening. The city has been encouraging things like back yard candy hunts, age appropriate Halloween movies, things done within household 'bubbles'.

functionthenlook thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • aok27502
    3 years ago

We moved to a new town this year, so we wanted to participate but had no idea what to expect. I bought a bag of assorted Hershey's miniatures and a bag of Skittles. I put three pieces per Ziploc snack bag. I have my pickup truck parked in the driveway with the tailgate down. The candy is in a big orange bowl,my pumpkin is on the tailgate with candles around it. I'm not sure what time this was all supposed to happen, but so far I've had three groups of kids, 10 or 11 total. I think there's going to be a lot of candy left over.

functionthenlook thanked aok27502
  • Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

Our neighborhood is hilly in many parts and has no street lights. Houses can be far apart. We've also experienced falling numbers and the ones who have come by in recent years have been those we know from reasonably nearby houses.

The door to door stuff is being strongly discouraged this year so we'll have our outdoor lights off. We expected this so we have nothing to offer door-knockers if any did show up.

functionthenlook thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • bpath
    3 years ago

Well, I hadn’t bought candy yet. Was getting dressed to go get some when I got a call the the person who was with me in the car yesterday, both masked, received a positive test result today. So, our lights are out. I’m quarantining in the upstairs bedroom that faces the street, and while it was light out I enjoyed watching the families outside, greeting each other from opposite curbs. Now it is dark out so the blinds are closed, but I can hear kids. Most people seem to be doing candy on a table, or taped to a garage door or pole or spider web, not knocking on doors.

functionthenlook thanked bpath
  • maifleur03
    3 years ago

My niece who lives in Minneapolis sent me a picture of the tube that she had put together and taped to the hand rail similar to what Lars posted above. I did wonder since the insides were probably not smooth how many pieces of candy would be stuck or fall out of the end onto the ground.

I think of only two years when we moved to this house that we had kids come by. All were from the house next door. There are only houses on one side of the street and while there is now a trail on the other side there are no steps to cut across to the houses. Since both sides are probably 12 feet higher than the street it means no candy.

functionthenlook thanked maifleur03
  • whistle_b
    3 years ago

Door to door is strongly discouraged here. So I did not turn the lights on and am now hunkered down reading a book!

functionthenlook thanked whistle_b
  • HamiltonGardener
    3 years ago

Hubby is out in the driveway, handing out candy with BBQ tongs. Halloween is the best holiday of the year. Can’t miss it.

Neither can the kids, apparently. We’ve had more kids this year than we have in the past seven or eight years. The nice weather helps.

functionthenlook thanked HamiltonGardener
  • Lala
    3 years ago

We've had a lot too. I had to open another bag of peanut butter cups. It's a beautiful night...57 degrees.

functionthenlook thanked Lala
  • stacey_mb
    3 years ago

Very few kids expected in our neighborhood and those who were giving out treats have posted the info on our local Facebook page. We haven't turned our outdoor light on so hopefully we won't get any little ones to our house.

functionthenlook thanked stacey_mb
  • aok27502
    3 years ago

I turned out my light and brought in the bowl at 8:00. 10 or 11 kids in three groups, in 2 hours.

Lots of leftover. Uh-oh. And here's a tip: skittles do not pair with red wine.😆

functionthenlook thanked aok27502
  • functionthenlook
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We got back a little early. The girls got tuckered out. The neighborhood over the hill really came thru for the kids this year. More people were giving out candy than not. Everyone's attitude was that the kids missed out on so much this year that they were going make Halloween fun and normal as possible. Even the police and firefighters were out waving to the kids wishing them a Happy Halloween as they cruised around . Instead of giving out the candy personally most people put the candy on a table in their driveway and had the kids pick out a piece or two while they social distanced in their lawn chairs. The kids had great time. There was fire pits burning in driveways, Halloween music playing and plenty of decorations.

Now I have to throw a little witch in the shower to remove a green face and black and purple hair. Lol.

• HamiltonGardener
    3 years ago

You give the skittles away FIRST.

Peanut butter cups go great with wine. Save those for last

• Kathsgrdn
    3 years ago

I didn't pass any out this year. I was working in my side yard for about half of it. Was surprised so many were out and without masks. I literally saw one little girl with a mask. Halloween is one of my favorite holidays and sometimes I'll even dress up to pass out candy if I'm off work that night. But, won't help spread Covid either.

functionthenlook thanked Kathsgrdn
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

OMG! What a treat. Forget the candy. One of the cable channels is broadcasting my very favorite scary movie. The Haunting based on Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House. What a movie! And a great book too.

functionthenlook thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • maifleur03
    3 years ago

Skittles can do interesting things to white wine although I think it helps if you have already had a glass. I had a dog who would tear into one of the small bags if it was anywhere in the car. I purchased her a big bag hoping it would last a long time and she spit out everyone I gave her.

functionthenlook thanked maifleur03
  • HamiltonGardener
    3 years ago

Meanwhile, I have mowed down on nearly an entire pumpkin’s worth of roasted seeds.

• aziline
    3 years ago

Our county is a hot zone right now so we stayed home. For our 2 kids I put stuffed animals around the basement some with candy (2 of the same) some with none. Then the kiddos searched together. My thinking was trying to keep it a "group" activity. They had a ball throwing the stuffed animals out of the way.

functionthenlook thanked aziline
  • Rose Pekelnicky
    3 years ago

I live in the country but usually get a few. I turned on my porch light and put out a basket on a small table with bags of chips and pretzels. 8 were gone.

functionthenlook thanked Rose Pekelnicky
  • pudgeder
    3 years ago

We also live out in the country, all of the houses are on 2 to 3 acre lots. It's a bit of a distance around the 'hood. But the little ones are coming out, and I have candy. Skittles. Bought those bkz I don't care for them, and that way I won't eat them!

We've had about 10 kids total in about 45 minutes. I expect one more family group and then that'll be all. Not many kids in our 'hood, and no one from outside the area hits us up.

BBQ tongs are a great idea!!

functionthenlook thanked pudgeder
  • murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    3 years ago

Ours just ended. 6-8 We had about 80-85 kids. I had a table in the driveway and had Reese's peanut butter pumpkins on it with a few decorations. It was more kids than I really expected, but I did have enough candy with about 10 left over. Lots of mostly little kids, all decked out. The weather was just a bit chilly, perfect for Halloween. Best thing that's happened in awhile. Nice to get back to "normal" if only for a couple of hours.

functionthenlook thanked murraysmom Zone 6a OH
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    3 years ago

We had two little girls we didn't recognize come to the door a little before 5 PM. Their mother waited at the top of the driveway. That was an hour ago and no others. There are no set hours for trick or treating here and any door to door has been discouraged this year. It's just now dusk. About the time any really small children might be expected, but I can't see or hear any activity in my neighborhood.

Our mail has somewhat late delivery. When our carrier showed up (a young single Mom of two smalls), DH gave her M&Ms for them ;0)

functionthenlook thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • HamiltonGardener
    3 years ago

Hubs is starting to pack it in now.

We go for the traditional Halloween. We terrify the children, and the ones who make it to the driveway get extra candy. He had a lot of screams tonight, so a successful night.

• nickel_kg
    3 years ago

Around us, there's always a few houses that don't participate; and this year, maybe 75% of homes aren't participating. The ones that are have tables set up to put candy bags on instead of kids ringing doorbells. DH and I aren't participating at all because I have a colonoscopy coming up and had my preparatory Covid test yesterday. Just can't have that many people that near us. Sorry kids; we'll do double next year. :-(

functionthenlook thanked nickel_kg
  • pekemom
    3 years ago

Haven't had trick-or-treaters for years out here, people go where houses are closer together...didn't put on lights, didn't buy candy either.

functionthenlook thanked pekemom
  • Adella Bedella
    3 years ago

The little girl from next door came over with a friend around 4 pm to trick or treat. This may have been a spontaneous decision on her part. I was quizzed about why I had a couple of decorative letters hanging on my wall. I explained that this was the first letter of our last name. She and her friend decided we should put a sign beneath them so other people will know why we are using that letter. I was told several stories about dead cats and dead dogs and other random things.

We had some trick or treaters tonight... not sure how many. I took about a three hour nap and it was dark outside when I woke up. My street had a block party for the kids this afternoon. I think they may have given out goodies then. I put a plastic baggie over my hand to hand out candy so no touching.

functionthenlook thanked Adella Bedella
  • liira55
    3 years ago

I put a bowl of full size chocolate bars on the porch and I would check it every once in awhile. I guess around 7:50 pm, a group of 4 kids around 13 years of age came up and dumped the entire bowl into their bags. I only had about 15 kids in total. I could see who was coming up to the porch by my doorbell camera. Oh well, no leftover chocolate for me to eat.

functionthenlook thanked liira55
  • arcy_gw
    3 years ago

We had the usual dozen. We live in a subdivision where the lots are all 2+ acres. The kids walk the circle with their parents. It's a very friendly leisurely atmosphere. I gave out full size Reese's pumpkins. The couple next to us has two children, she's an ER nurse he's a detective. If COVID was an issue they would not have been out. The entire concept is hilarious to me. Quarantine your candy if contact tracing is a FEAR but don't mess with Tricks or Treating!!

functionthenlook thanked arcy_gw
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    3 years ago

functionthenlook thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • sheilajoyce_gw
    3 years ago

Our governor strongly discouraged trick or treating and parties. I appreciated that. For the first time in 40 years, I did not turn on the porch light or have treats to give out.

functionthenlook thanked sheilajoyce_gw
  • chloebud
    3 years ago

I was kind of amazed at all the decorations we saw on the way to our daughter's house. Lots of people had candy set up in some way/shape/form outside. One house had a popcorn machine ready to go. Since we weren't home, I left lights on and candy bars in a container outside the front door. When we returned home I found half the candy bars were were still there. I had to smile at the thought of little kids' lack of greed.

functionthenlook thanked chloebud
  • sjerin
    3 years ago

I was surprised at how many kids we did have last night (50-ish). Usually, we have large groups of kids racing from one house to another but this year I could tell they were either families or perhaps two families banded together for the night. I had an un-decorated table near the sidewalk with little bags on top that my dd and dsil had filled with candy, a lantern on top and luminaria bags up the driveway. I sat at the top of the driveway and chatted for a minute when someone came by. As far as I could see everyone had a mask, even the very small kids. There were a few cars whose occupants got out to t-or-t at a house or two, then drove off. On our block there were 6 of 20 houses participating. Our numbers in CA are currently not too bad.

• functionthenlook
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thru this I've found their are two trails of thought in people. One is "you can't, period". The other is "lets figure out how we can".

Last night was a good example of "lets figure out how we can". People social distanced by not personally handing out candy and putting the candy on tables or bowls for the kids to take. The kids got to enjoy the holiday and the neighbors still got to see the kid's costumes and talk to fellow neighbors from their socially distant lawn chairs.

Even a local nursing home displayed the " let's figure out how we can" by puting bowls of candy outside the closed first floor windows for all the residents inside to enjoy the little treaters.

Our township's annual kids Halloween party still went on, just with alterations. Instead of hosting it at the community center they hosted it at their large outdoor sports complex. They still were able to have the pizza lunch, and costume contest. Plus they added trunk n treat and a DJ. Yet still observing distancing.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    3 years ago

I completely disagree. There are people that realized it's important enough to avoid handing out or picking up candy. There were ways around it and still have fun.

Then there were those who were out last night not wearing masks, and didn't socially distance. I saw many pictures of it. MANY! Just said to heck with it all.

All I know is I'm going to watch the numbers, and it's going to break my heart when I watch the age group which climbs the most in the next 3 weeks.

The largest pandemic we have known in generations and people found it important to trick or treat????

functionthenlook thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • abzzybee
    3 years ago

Not a single trick or treater this year. First time in 24 years in my neighborhood, half of me is sad, the other half is a little glad and hopes it was due to parents being cautious.

functionthenlook thanked abzzybee
  • skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    3 years ago

aok - skittles do pair with beer just fine.

functionthenlook thanked skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
  • User
    3 years ago

We normally average about 100 kids. I did up 50 baggies of candy this year (I was going to do 100, but decided to do 50 and give the kids who did show 2x as much as I was planning). We handed out 44 bags. We put a fence up about 2 feet from our step making it an easy 8 feet from my front door. The kids would yell "Happy Halloween" and we would get up, santize our hands (my front door is all glass so they can see us do this), then put on a mask, go outside and hand them their candy. Not one parent complained about us not using tongs (if you have covid and don't clean your hands you put the virus on the tongs which puts it on the bags so it defeats the purpose IMO) and putting them in their childs buckets and bags. They were all just grateful that we handed out anything as more than half the houses on my block were closed for the evening. :(

My son took his son out in their area and he pretty much hit the jackpot. While I gave him a box full of Nestle full size bars (his favourites are all in one box), a lot of the people in their area also handed out full size bars and one house gave him a family size bag of Cadbury Buttons chocolate. His mom was the most excited about the full size Fun Dips. hahahaha We have a little candy left over, which I'll give to my grandson as well.

functionthenlook thanked User
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 years ago

We average around 160 T&T'ers on my block most years, even when the weather is bad (cold and rainy is not unusual). It was chilly and rainy this year too. The neighborhood was probably 40/60 on "find a way" vs "nope" -- many found several different ways to dispense candy without touching it - out on tables, through a chute, in individual bags, using some kind of barrier (glove, another bag.. along with a mask)!

I usually hand out at least 2 of the giant bags but this year only 3 small ones went out onto the porch, spread on a table, for kids to help themselves. About half of one was left over. - So, not that many and seemed to be confined to kids on my street and one or two adjacent blocks.

functionthenlook thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • joyfulguy
    3 years ago

Moved here to what used to be step-uncle's farm 15 years ago, renting from new owner, 15 km., 10 mi from village.

No "Trick or Treaters" that year, or the next.

Nor any year since..

None this year, either.

I usually had some chocolate available, just in case.

ole joyful

functionthenlook thanked joyfulguy
  • Chi
    3 years ago

I expect we're going to see the full aftermath of Halloween in about 2 weeks. The kids will likely be fine for the most part but their grandparents might not fare so well.

Friends of mine took the time to make an enjoyable Halloween experience for their kids safely in their own homes.

If we keep making exceptions for holidays, this will never end. I think Thanksgiving and Christmas will be especially bad.

functionthenlook thanked Chi
Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida