SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
addarnell

help with addition interior layout/design

Devin Darnell
3 years ago

We are considering/most likely going to start within a few months an addition to our house. We will be adding about 630 sqft. I have attached 3 pictures that I hope help with any questions. The grid paddle with the red outline is what we will be adding. The outdoor picture is obviously what the exterior looks like currently. The other picture is one of my first draft ideas.....

Our goals/wants/needs from this project are:
Additional living space, additional bathroom, additional (which will become the main) dining room space, fireplace, and storage. We could also use an "office" space area....

I know there will be many questions and people saying the need more info, so instead of being sharp, please just ask!

Does anyone have ideas of how we should design/layout this space to maximize the space to achieve our goals??!!

Thanks in advance!

Comments (70)

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

Omg LOVEEE the couch!!! We will definitely keep that!!! 👍👍👍

• Devin Darnell
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks!! We love it to! Even though its huge, it actually lightens our living room up! Especially getting rid of the chairs in front of window...

• Related Discussions

Expectations of Kitchen Designers? (Interior designers?) – pls help

Q

Comments (2)
    I think what you're running into is Kitchen Designers who are really Cabinet Salespeople. Did you ask if they are NKBA-certified (not a guarantee of a good designer, but it's a good first step)? So many KDs are really cabinet salespeople - they know a lot about their cabinet line(s), but not so much about good design. Did either ask you about your lifestyle, your family composition, your plans for the kitchen, etc.? If not, that's a red flag. Check the Layout help FAQ for the types of questions KDs should be asking you - and that you should be prepared to answer. How do I ask for Layout Help and what information should I include? If you cannot find a good KD, then I suggest starting the design process by posting your space here. We have several professional KDs as well as several talented amateurs who can help you. When you're happy with the layout, go back to the KDs and see what they have to say - both for cabinet specifics in their cabinet line(s) and pricing. If you do find a KD, then see what s/he comes up with. I would still come here and post the layout for additional critiquing. Between your KD and here, you should be able to come up with a functional layout and a nice looking space. Good luck!
    ...See More

Design issue?....help!.... interior design help!....

Q

Comments (9)
    I don't understand the island, dining room table and bar - are any of these built in? If the entertainment center is built in where you show it- you will need chairs to face it. You can have some conversation chairs facing the couch but day to day it will need to be where you have it.
    ...See More

Hoping for input on addition(s)/ new layout

Q

Comments (101)
    Both of my sisters have recently went from smaller choppy homes to two story, open homes and both say the same. Easier to clean. We recently had a window seat and bookcases built for our back 9 x 11 bedroom for an extra sitting/ reading room. I love the coziness. But smaller rooms is all I’ve ever known. It would be an adjustment! Our current living, “dining”, and kitchen is just separated by archways. So not open but not totally closed off. I do like that separation. Allows wall space for my piano, curio cabinet, an old dresser... Im wondering if my walls would look cluttered with all these things lined up against them.
    ...See More

Help with Extension + ADU addition Layout

Q

Comments (13)
    Hi, Does it make sense to build a second story above the garage and turn that into an ADU (~600 sqft)? This would require re-inforcment of the foundation. - doing this will also leave our driveway alone and we wouldnt have to relocate the Approach, Water Meter, and pour concrete on around 1600Sqft of space. Redlines indicate where everything would have to be excavated and re-done Concerns are 1. Cost, 2. Ease of build / timeline (We are ready to submit the third time to the city with all the updates, making a second story plan now would mean to resubmit from beginning + cost of redesign) Green lines in second image would be a second story above the garage and new front addition.
    ...See More
  • HU-187528210
    3 years ago

Yes I’m soooo into it!! And that little dude on the couch is adorable!!! ☺️

• cpartist
    3 years ago

You need to create a floor plan as it is now for the whole house and how the addition will fit on. The addition may or may not impact things like light, etc. Just showing us the addition doesn't tell us enough

• roarah
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I am envious if you can really add 600sq feet with only 100k investment. My 103ft bath extension cost almost that much. A lot of little needed creep Costs come up after the initial budget, especially without a real blueprint, is estimated. We needed to reroof the whole house for our eight year old roof tiles had faded in the sun and could not be matched seemlessly. This might happen with siding. Our driveway needed to be opened to connect to sewage and heavy construction trucks on our older driveway cracked our pavement so we needed to repair it at a 12k cost not included in our actual addition quote. The landscape repairs to construction damage are also not incidental.

I would not spend too much time making floor plans until you have a professional study your house. Floors may not be able to match up exactally So you might need step ups or down according to your specific house structural details. Setbacks and lot cover rules might prohibit your ideas. Spend money on a pro now before you waste time on plans that might never be able to be built.

The size of your addition in most areas of our country will cost at least double your quoted 100k.

• smalloldhouse_gw
    3 years ago

Your kitchen is lovely as are the other spaces you've shown. I'm in the midst of a big addition/reno now and I understand the desire to see what you might be able to do with the space. I actually used to play around with options using Ikea's home planner before we got started. Ultimately though it's hard to do anything that is serious without more structural info.

Our architect billed by the hour and the first thing her team did was to measure every inch of our house so that they could draw up diagrams of the "existing conditions." Then the architect and I sat together while she mapped out different options for laying out the new space and reconfiguring some of the old space. The constraints of the existing structure matter, as do things like views and orientation. We're in a high cost area but this initial work was relatively inexpensive - maybe $5k? I got feedback on the initial ideas here.

BTW our addition is a bit smaller than yours and needed no new foundation work, but it's going to cost about 4x what you're budgeting. And that is probably double what I assumed at that outset. Think through the numbers carefully; they tend to creep up quickly and unexpectedly, and especially if you're in a part of the country with relatively low cost of living, you might do better to plan for a move as your kids grow.

• fissfiss
    3 years ago

I like to noodle around with graph paper and a tape measure before I talk to people who charge by the hour. And I love what you’ve done so far.
    Have you considered using your present living/dining as just the dining room? And then the new space with the fireplace as the living room? Just because cozying up with a fire and lounging is really nice. And a great place to sit and watch the kids in the backyard...And before anyone squawks with “why do you need a fireplace in Dallas”, we used to live in SoCal and used the gas fireplace all the time, because we were frugal Yankees and never turned on the central heat. The fireplace took the chill off the kitchen/family room in the mornings or on a wet winter day which was all we needed.

• Architectrunnerguy
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

To expand on what Juneknow said, get a local creative person out to your house for a 3 or 4 hour design session with yourself and any other decision maker over your dining room table. I do these all the time. We measure the house up (or the parts we'll be dealing with) and use that as a template to explore a range of ideas. Here's one measured drawing that we made in about 30 minutes:

To take some of the mystery out of these, here's some photos of some, one under the watchful eye of King Tut! And it's almost impossible to brainstorm around existing conditions in these without actually looking at them.

And FWIW, 100K sounds inadequate. I like to get a contractor out there for these so we can talk costs.. After all, who do you think took those photos!

• Devin Darnell
    Original Author
    3 years ago

June, for a friendly forum that is designed to help people, your awfully negative!!. By the way, as I'm doing my research and really digging into this exploration phase of this project, I have learned the term "setbacks" and it is exactly what I thought it would be. Which is why I said that I know that my idea and scope of work is permittable. Meaning I know that I can go an extra 15 feet back, and I realize that I might need to change the roof line, and I know that I am able to go up the extra but that I might need to go up. I'm not going anymore to the sides.

I'm not sure I ever said this is"just" a 100k project!! I know this will be a complex project! If it were a simple project, it would be done!.

• PRO
    Casa Bella Designs
    3 years ago

I don't have any suggestions for your layout, but am in a similar situation. We're going to be adding about 600 square feet onto our 1400 sq ft home. FYI, we are in a high cost of living area and got quotes around 150k. So I don't think your way off like some comments seemed to imply.

We got some initial estimates and have now hired an architect to draw up plans. We had a rough layout planned, but our architect has been able to chime in on things and make layout changes for improvement. We hired him just for the plans he's drawing up a bid list, so it wasn't too costly.

• Devin Darnell
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you L L!. I have talked to a couple more people, and one friend that is an architect, and I don't think I'm so off either. I understand that because plumbing, the engineering of the new roof line, replacing current irrigation for landscaping...and probably other things I'm missing it will be more than that.... But I really don't see it double or triple that like other people are saying

• Devin Darnell
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Can I ask where you are located?

• PRO
    Casa Bella Designs
    3 years ago

Los Angeles

• lyfia
    3 years ago

I think the cost is reasonable for the area and adding on without having to change the whole house roof line or at least that was before the pandemic. However, I'm not so sure about what you have drawn as to me it appears you would have to change your whole roof line from the back. I guess it could be a really wide low slope gable or hip style with a standing seam metal roof (due to slope), but that adds costs too.

Without knowing what the rooms are that connect to your plan it is really hard to say how to layout the area. We know where the kitchen connects, but with the lines drawn it appears the only way to access this area will be through the kitchen which would be an issue for future re-sale and I don't think your house will live well if in that format. The back area will seem very disconnected from the rest of the house and will feel like an addition. Please show what is on the other sides of the plan if you want people to try to help to give suggestions. Generally you want an easy path from the entrance of the house to the public spaces such as living and dining.

Also the dining area seems disproportionately large compared to the living room. Living rooms tend to be the largest home in the house. Having windows in all rooms would be preferable, with the exception of the powder room where it is less important as some people view it as a privacy issue and others want the light. I think that is personal preference, but nothing a buyer will elect to not buy your house for.

We need more info to comment further on the plan.

Also note it is free advice and most people here base their cost ideas from the areas they live in and sometimes they are correct and other times not. Same for other things, so take note and verify for yourself as sometimes like everything free it is good and sometimes not applicable, and as always people are free to avoid the advice completely too. However I strongly suggest consider what was written think it through, be open minded and see how it may fit/work for you and discard if you are fine with it after thoroughly evaluating it with your situation. This way I think you will come out with a much better project in the end. You will feel sure of your choices and you will likely avoid some mistakes and make the end product better.

• PRO
    Casa Bella Designs
    3 years ago

Also, our house is shaped similarly.- u-shaped with a patio in the center. We have a steep roof line, but our addition will have a flatter roof line. So we won't have to change our existing roof. Some may not like the look or think the addition should match the original home. However, it's common (at least in our area) to for them to be different to keep the historical integrity of the original structure.

• Celadon
    3 years ago

It’s well past time to be working with the architect that you badly need. Proportions, circulation paths, and human occupancy dimensions are all off. So are the structural considerations of joining. This is far too much money to put into a poor initial concept that does not need to be developed.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    3 years ago

The comments in this thread have been accurate and an attempt to get you to think this through more and give more details if you want ideas. No one here is a mind reader and you have shared very little useful info. No real floor plan, no site plan, no proposed real floor plan. Once you get those things people can look at it, with measurements and layout, and let you know their thoughts. You are asking us to imagine something you have without any real way to picture it as you have plans included. The comments and advice are cautious and conservative based on what you have and have not said.

• Devin Darnell
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you to everyone that gave reasonable and constructive feedback (not criticism). I asked for no Sharp or ride tones upfront.... And still got it.

We have been digging more into these plans, and while we don't have architecture plans yet..... From talking to a few different architects and different builders, this project is totally possible at budget I was hoping for. We definitely understand that cost will pop up that we didn't plan for, that will drive the cost up.

The main thing is that we didn't want to spend big bucks on drawings and plans, if this project was completely out off reach for us. Now that we know it is in each, we are willing to pay for those drawings/plans.

I hate that in these discussions there are always those people that think I haven't thought of everything! While I'm no professional, I do enjoy digging into this and learning what I can do to my home. I know all the hurdles we will have to get through!. (One that no one has mentioned.... Plumbing.... They will have to tie into main line, which is clay pipes, and I know that will need to be replaced before tying into it!). I'm definitely not naive when it comes to the scope of work for this project!.

Now that we have a little better idea of a general budget, we will start sitting down with professionals and trying to seriously figure this this out!

Thanks again!

• Devin Darnell
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Anyone know the average or a good rate for architects?....

• WestCoast Hopeful
    3 years ago

Seems like this varies depending on where you live and what you need. Best to get a couple of quotes to get an idea

• Devin Darnell
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Just a quick update on this thread... Mostly to the people that think I'm crazy for thinking my budget would be enough.... We have had 2 contractors come out and look at our plans and both have given us estimates between 100k-150k.... Again with the understanding that number could/will change with more exact plans.....

• smalloldhouse_gw
    3 years ago

Beware of guesstimates without actual plans (construction drawings.) We heard from several contractors and a design-build firm that our project would cost around $150k. When we went out to bid, I was expecting maybe $200k. We got 4 bids just as Covid hit, before material shortages and price increases, and they ranged from $320k to $475k, not including fixtures & fittings == the costs of which I underestimated. YMMV, but there's a reason you're hearing a similar story from pros as well as homeowners on this thread.

• Devin Darnell
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I am circling back to this post..... in hopes to share more information, pictures, and thoughts.

And hopefully get some good productive feedback.

We have found a contractor we like and are moving forward with him. He feels very confident in making this project exactly what we want, and we trust in him and the subs he uses.

Here is a overall floor plan of our home that I drew. We don’t have architectural drawings yet.

Here is a reddening of the space we are going to add.

And the current exterior along with a rendering of the possible extension exterior.

• Devin Darnell
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is the exterior. We are extending the gables out 15 feet, and the enclosing with either a metal roof, or maybe a higher pitched middle roof with shingles.

• Devin Darnell
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I am looking for help/ideas with a couple things.

1. New Furniture layout in old living space
    2. Dining room and living room layout in new space.
    3. Where do we put the fireplace.
  • Devin Darnell
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is a picture of our current kitchen, the door will be a case opening that leads to the new addition.

• lyfia
    3 years ago

Why such a large guest bath and what is the storage room going to be used for. Do you need a shower for guests since there is not really a guest room anywhere?

Also I hope you realize that you've now made your kitchen a hallway that all traffic have to walk in that 3 ft area in front of the fridge/ovens to get to the back of the house and that is a one person hallway so consider how guests will move back and forth while someone is trying to cook or pull things out of the fridge or a hot oven.

I don't think you're doing your house any favors by adding it on as you have shown. Have you considered other options. Seems like storage could be in the window less area. Maybe make a powder room in that area too. Then at least the other spaces can have lots of windows, however it doesn't solve the issue with the kitchen as a hallway.

• Devin Darnell
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here are a few pictures of the current living space... we do have different furniture now.... I’m basically showing the layout!

• Devin Darnell
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes we do realize the kitchen will become a hallway.... and we are ok with that! The large storage is for many things! We will not have a problem filling it up, as we have no other real storage space and no garage. Both guest bathrooms are only5x8, not big at all. We have a shower in the new space because why not, we have the space and that creates a third full bath, instead of the 1/2 bath a powder room could add. This could give our kids separate spaces to get ready , especially when maybe they both have friends over! I have loved this space and have considered many different options. In our opinion, and the opinions of several others we trust getting life advice from, is the best option. This is absolutely it forever home, so we are making it ours!

• Devin Darnell
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That front area would be a little nicer...I wouldn’t say formal, living space. We might it might not keep a smaller table in that front area

• Devin Darnell
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh, part of that “large” storage will be used for the additional hvac unit.

• lyfia
    3 years ago

Just a rough sketch.

• lyfia
    3 years ago

Front furnishings. Not sure how you want to use that area, but put a round table to sit and play games or lay puzzles on as a family while still having room at the entry for a bench and space to walk by.

• Devin Darnell
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Awesome! Thanks so much.... I do like this, and have drawn something similar, but I actually kind of see it better
    With the front. I was thinking something similar as well. We like the idea of the card table by that front window.
    Thanks again.

How did you make the black squares?

• Devin Darnell
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh is that just with your I phone photo editor? I think I already figured it out

• lyfia
    3 years ago

I used paint. Hence a sketch.

How about if you consider something else. Less storage sq ft, but would integrate the back a little more and avoid the path through the kitchen as the only way. It does require removal of your short cabinet next to the oven, but you do have the island right there for landing space.

• lyfia
    3 years ago

With the furniture - just a sketch

• Devin Darnell
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Cool ideas! Another thing.... we actually like the living area in the little nook area, I know it makes it smaller, but it separates that space better..... just a thought

• lyfia
    3 years ago

You could turn the table and put some walls to separate dining and living. I personally would not want to spend the amount of money you are to have a small space where I couldn't fit more than 4-5 people if you squeeze.

I'd want one space where I could fit my whole family and some guests. For example, I'd want room for just a small family get together of my family and grand parents and all have a place to sit. Also kids grow and like to lay down on a sofa to watch TV which when they are the size of a small adult with a single sofa makes it tight for anybody else.

Personally I prefer it to be open as it works best for how we live.

• Devin Darnell
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I have drawn this out on my own scratch paper, and really am liking it.... I do feel like putting the living room at the end of the space rather than in the book will give us a true living room, rather than a smaller sitting room space.

However, we are afraid that the straight shot from dining room to living room will just basically duplicate what we currently have and would be almost TO open again. .... what are your thoughts about that?

Thanks again! I appreciate you putting these ideas on paper for me.

• Devin Darnell
    Original Author
    3 years ago

One reason I didn’t put the living room at first is because my wife has been against having the tv above the fireplace, because it would be too high.... I tend to sort of agree.... but I think we are both coming around to it as being a good option....

• lyfia
    3 years ago

For the fireplace you can do a linear one or one without a raised hearth and then design the mantel and surround to avoid having the TV too high.

Linear FP with TV

If you see my last one there is a wall separating the dining and living room with openings on either side of it to have access to the dining area. If you absolutely feel you want the separation. However you do still have your front room if you want a separate space as well.

It sounds to me like you need to go through some pretend living in your "new" house to really see what might work best for you.

• lyfia
    3 years ago

What is it that you don't like about the openness in your home right now?

• Devin Darnell
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We love our house right now. it’s just all one living space.... almost like a shotgun style, except the bedrooms are tucked away. Would it be bad to create another “shotgun” space with that living and dining room. I liked the idea of the wall separating, but don’t think it would work because we would want some flexibility to have more space in living or dining room.

As far as fireplace style, we really like the traditional, not linear.

• cpartist
    3 years ago

I hope you're working with a LICENSED architect who might have a MUCH BETTER idea for what to do with this house and not just whomever the builder uses to draw up plans. Your idea would be a complete remuddle as created now. For example, it is NEVER a good idea to have your kitchen be the main thoroughfare through the house and I'm sure a talented architect can come up with something you haven't even thought of.

• lyfia
    3 years ago

More traditional FP - Although this one has a low hearth it could be made lower by having no hearth and the Fireplace at floor level.

You're not creating another shotgun space since your kitchen is around the corner. Your existing space probably feels more shotgun too in that it is narrower than the new space and goes all the way from the front to the back. People have open dining/living generally on their wish list. I think you need to really think through what is it that is bothering you about the current open space you have vs. a shape thing. The back space will be facing your backyard so that will be different, you also won't have the entry right into it so it will feel more private. I suggest you really dig into what the feelings are that causes you to question the openness as I don't think it is all related to the shape. No-one that comes to your front door will be able to see into this space or see much of it etc. There are many more differences than there are similarities so focus on what is different and similar to your current space as you work through what it is you want. Similar to make a pros and cons list, but make one that is different and similar.

I agree with cpartist that a good architect would get you something that ties in well with your house and even though you don't want to move also will be good for re-sale if something ever changes there. Also a good architect would help you make your house so you really feel that you don't ever want to move. Also consider a garden shed for storage. It is the best bang for your buck when it comes to storage.

• Devin Darnell
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We are.... thanks for the thoughts.... the architect I’m working with is good. He is a friend that I don’t believe would steer me wrong. I have now seen several of his jobs, and I like the work he’s done. I will disagree with your statement about this being remuddle... whatever that is.

• Devin Darnell
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I guess what bothers me about the openness of current space is that you walk in our house, and there is our whole life! Toys, shoes, keys, bags, mail, a possible dirty kitchen, overall... a very lived in space with no room to “hide” the stuff!
    With the new space, we will have space to put things and be able to organize appropriately all the little things.
    We have thought about a garden shed, but we can’t store things like out of season clothes, china/silver, office supplies, arts and crafts, board games, extra blankets/linens, and other things like that, outside.

• lyfia
    3 years ago

We have a window unit in our storage shed as our house is also low on storage. Although I've been able to stick cabinets, bookshelves (with doors), etc. in different areas to store the smaller stuff. However seasonal clothing are stored in the storage shed in plastic bags and then in plastic tubs, although some are up high in the closets too.

So I think what bothers you about the current space won't be there in the new space.

I would suggest talking to your architect of ways to maybe add some privacy for the entry to keep the kitchen more hidden of what could be done there. Maybe you just need to add some more closed storage too where the entry area is so you don't have to see the shoes etc. Figure out what the areas are that bother you and make a list of them to bring up with the architect that you'd like to solve these problems as well. Maybe figure out how much storage area you need for these different things too will help you get efficient use of the space for them as well.

• Devin Darnell
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Lyfia, With the current living room layout you gave.... do you see it as ok to basically flip the card table to the other side?...... the only reason I ask is because if we flip it like you have.... our canned lighting, and chandelier would be of center. (we could get rid of the chandelier, but honestly do not want to! It’s special because we bought it while in mutant, Italy. But we could possibly put it in new dining room)