SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lasvca

Opinions on Maison Bedroom Collection from RH

lasvca
3 years ago

Has anyone bought the Maison Furniture collection from Restoration Hardware? Were you happy with it? How did it hold up? I am thinking about buying the nightstands and 5 drawer dresser or 6 drawer dresser.

Comments (34)

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

I don't have it, but my friend does. She is very happy with it and it looks great in her room.

lasvca thanked Design Girl
  • lasvca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Design Girl Is it the gray oak color? Or which color does your friend own?

• Design Girl
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

They have an antique grey oak and an antique grey - I'm not sure which one she has. I think it's the antique grey.

• lasvca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok thank you so much. Anyone else have any experience with the Maison? Trying to decide.

• lasvca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok now I have a new question. Would it look ok to get the RH Maison nightstands but the dresser in the st James collection? Both in the antiqued grey oak.

• lasvca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Design Girl What do you think about getting nightstands from the Maison collection, but a dresser from the St James collection. Both would be in the same finish, antiqued grey oak. I like the knobs on the St James dresser for pulling bigger drawers and there are 2 instead of one like on the Maison. But I still love the look of the Maison for nightstands.

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

Personally, I like different styles and finishes in a room. It's no longer popular to get a "set" of furniture. It's more mixing for a more interesting look. I wouldn't mix they styles, and would probably do the nightstands. Then look for a different dresser in maybe a different finish.

• Patricia Weeks
    3 years ago

Hi lasvca, did you ever buy the Maison bedroom? I too am on the fence as I love the dresser and night stands but not sure about which bed to buy. Can’t tell if the antique grey oak is more grey or brown. Would appreciate any input!

• lasvca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I have not yet. I went to the local RH store and the rings were a little hard to grasp. Not sure if that may become bothersome. But I do still love the pieces in this collection.

• lasvca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The pieces in the store looked more brown than gray. And it was the antique gray oak.

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

You can order samples of the wood finishes. They do charge for them, but will take that off if you order the furniture, or you can get your money back if you return them once done. I don't find the rings a problem at all.

• lasvca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I guess it depends what age you are. And if you have any arthritis, if the rings will be a problem. I was just speaking for myself.

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

It's a personal choice - I'm 63 with arthritis and I don't have an issue. They become very easy once they are used and loosen up a bit.

• Kenj
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Our decorator recommended Maison but we’ve been spoiled by drawers that are easy to pull out and soft close with our past set. Maison did not have those features when we tried it out in the store, so we passed.

• Shelby
    2 years ago

We have the bedroom set (King Bed and two large side tables/dressers) in Antique Coffee and love it. We’ve had it for almost 4 years. It’s held up beautifully and I love the subtle elegance of it. I’m looking at the 12 drawer piece now to complete it since we moved and our space allows it now. For whatever reason this collection doesn’t feel “matchy” when I see the pieces together. Not sure why that is.

• mseamm
    2 years ago

@lasvca - We have the RH Maison Bedroom furniture. We love it! We purchased the panel bed with footboard, open nightstand, fabric end-of-bed bench, and 12-drawer dresser in Antiqued Grey Oak. This furniture is HEAVY, but very very well made. Mortise and tenon joinery, dovetail drawers. We've had it since January of this year and I LOVE it. I wanted everything to match after years and years of mismatched pieces from here and there.

There are a few things that we don't like, but are not deal breakers:

Dresser - Drawer pulls - The small drawers only have keys / no drawer pulls -- you use the key. We didn't think about it when we purchased it. For a daily use dresser it is functional but odd and you have to keep the key turned to the side so it doesn't come out. You can, however, lock the drawers if you ever needed to. The locks work on the nightstands too. The drawer pulls on the right side for some reason are missing the nail on the bottom that holds it in place so after months on end of trying to get their furniture medic out to us (they kept cancelling), RH decided to swap the ENTIRE dresser out and refunded our delivery fee for the trouble. That's actually getting swapped next week.

Dresser - Offgassing - It offgasses something firece, but if you just leave the drawers ajar a little bit it will dissipate -- it took a solid month in our experience.

Bed - Footboard - We wish that we did not get a footboard, or maybe a different one because even after eight months we still hit our hips on the part the juts out on the top. We know it's there but it just sticks out too much. My husband threatened to cut it off at some point in the night haha

• Design Girl
    2 years ago

@mseamm - My dresser has pulls on all the drawers. It seems there is only one model with keys for the top drawers.

• mseamm
    2 years ago

the replacement dresser arrived finally! they had a huge team and even an RH rep/ambassador with actual white gloves! It was FANTASTIC service. The dresser is perfect but here we go again with the offgassing...

• Design Girl
    2 years ago

@mseamm - Oh off gassing. That's why I like things built in the USA

• Sherri Brown
    2 years ago

I just ordered the St. James bed, nightstand, 2 narrow dressers, and the Maison armoire all in antiqued grey. I am renovating a historical home and have no closets and many windows so I had to find pieces that would fit. I went to the local RH store and the bed was on the floor in antiqued grey and it was gorgeous! So, I am looking forward to it. I used the RH online design service and it was awesome!

• lasvca
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Patricia Weeks Did you end up getting the Maison furniture? I am still deciding. I have got to make a decision.

• lasvca
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Sherri Brown . Have you been happy with your RH pieces? Trying to decide between the St James and the Maison collection.

• Design Girl
    2 years ago

@lasvca - I don't have the pieces so I can't comment on that. What I can say as a decorator is that the St. James collection is more bulky and heavy looking, while the Maison is more streamlined. I prefer the Maison, but that's just one opinion.

• Patricia Weeks
    2 years ago

@lasvca, I did not buy the Maison furniture. After ordering the color swatches, I thought the antique grey was too brown. I also ordered the Antique White which I thought I would love , but alas it was too yellow. I ended up ordering a dresser and two nightstands from Ethan Allen. Haven't received it yet.

• lasvca
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Patricia Weeks . Good to know. Which dresser and nightstands did you end up getting at Ethan Allen? I am strongly considering them as well.

• Patricia Weeks
    2 years ago

@lasvca I ordered the Continental line in Citrus White. I can’t say for sure but I think the quality may be better than RH. Made in North Carolina is a plus for me.

• lasvca
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Design Girl What do you think of using the Maison dresser in the antiqued grey oak with white painted chest as nighstands? The bed is upholstered ivory. I just dont want a matchy set and I am struggling what to pull together. But I dont want all the funiture to be white and or gray.

• Design Girl
    2 years ago

@lasvca - I think that would be fine depending on the "look" you are going for. I never use matched furniture. Keep in mind that depending on what else is going on in the room, the antiqued gray may not give you much contrast. I've seen the antique coffee used in similar situations with a white/ivory bed and that also looks lovely - a bit more classic - but very nice as well. It really is a puzzle of what else is going on with window treatments, other pieces, etc.

• lasvca
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Belterra Project- Furnishings, Light Fixtures & Interior Design · More Info

Winterberry Model Master Bedroom · More Info

@Design Girl The second pic is a bed similar to mine and first pic is another nighstand option. But i also like white painted nighstands with the acrylic knobs. Maybe rh dresser is not the right look for this. I have no window treatments right now.

• lasvca
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Design Girl . I was just using those pics to show the furniture of the nightstand in the first one and the ivory bed in the second. I am going to use all soft neutral colors.

• Design Girl
    2 years ago

@lasvca - Yes, I realized that and just wanted to know which direction you are headed. I think that the gray dresser and painted white nightstands will accomplish your goals. I would not mix another light wood for your nightstands, as they will most likely never be "quite right". You'd be safer with painted white. Texture is also another option for nightstands. Raffia or faux linen would also look great and will also obtain the look you're after.

lasvca thanked Design Girl
  • lasvca
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Design Girl what is your opinion on getting a medium brown colored dresser such as the glover dresser at Ethan Allen in the earl grey finish to go with the white nightstands and ivory bed? Just still trying to add some warmth to all the white Or they have a pumice finish that is a little lighter

• lasvca
    Original Author
    last year

@Sherri Brown . Could you please give an update if you have been pleased with your bedroom pieces that you got from RH? Do you like the finish?