SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kcreagh987

2nd Story Floor Plan Help

KC
3 years ago

We are in the process of speaking with a builder/architect who have plans to build a spec home (tear down into new construction). They are interested in securing a buyer early in the process which gives us the ability to customize/tweak the proposed floor plans. The project is a bit unique in that they need to use the foundation of the existing house for certain tax advantages, so we cannot shift exterior walls. The plans have been drafted, permits have been secured, and variances have been granted - so we need to work with what we have.

Since we are prospective buyers and we do not own the land nor the plans I am hesitant to provide the architect’s drawings. Here is a floor plan I was able to replicate which is probably ~95% accurate - a few rooms may be off by a couple of inches and window placement is likely not exact, but the big picture concept is there.

Here are my main questions: 1) Any glaring issues or confusing aspects about this layout? 2) Is there any way to make the laundry room bigger? Maybe by making BR 3 into an en-suite, thus eliminating the need for that narrow (3’) hallway?

I tried to look at other people’s posts and include some relevant notes on the photo, including views and what is sitting below it on the first floor. There is a lot of flexibility when it comes to movement of individual windows, however any time you see 3 in a row it’s because it’s an architectural feature of the house and the exterior has a gable roof line that frames those windows. But please let me know if there are any other details that would be important to know!

ANY AND ALL FEEDBACK IS WELCOMED AND APPRECIATED! Thanks in advance!

Comments (14)