SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_montesa

Adding banister to existing exterior stairs

mary_montesa
3 years ago

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me about installing a banister on a set of existing stairs in California. My in-laws home was built 1946 and I'm fairly certain the stairs not to code; they are extremely elderly and use these stairs daily to enter/exit their home and we want to install a new banister. As can be seen in the photo, the stairs are only as wide as the walkway. My question is: do we need to demolish and rebuild the existing stairs to install a banister or can a banister be installed as the stairs exist now? It would obviously be best if we could extend the width of the stairs to more closely align to the width of the landing but I know my in-laws: they won't want to relocate that cute little shrub on the left (insert eye roll here) and they also won't want the width to no longer align with the width of the walkway. Finally, there is a downspout located to the left of the landing that has the potential to create damage from runoff but I suspect my in-laws will be have passed before that becomes an issue. Thanks for any answers!!!

Do we need to demolish and rebuild these stairs or can we just install a banister?

Comments (6)