SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lauraguerrini

Flooring please help

Laura
3 years ago

Hi! We are renovating a 100 year old lake cabin. Currently the front and back sunrooms and kitchen are covered with a dated linoleum (picture 1). I’ve pulled it back to find a subfloor then some more linoleum (someone called it “battleship” linoleum) - then I believe wood floors under everything. I’ve had contradicting opinions from flooring installers. Some say its too difficult to get to the wood floors, others say to try rip everything out and see if you can get to them. Here are the 3 flooring options I like (want to stay with the period of the house so no engineered hardwood or luxury vinyl tile):

1. Hardwood floors - either expose by ripping everything out or install new and stain to match rest of the house (picture 2 shows the hardwood in the house)
  2. Pained floors - potentially paint the subfloor either solid or with checkerboard like this picture from Tallwoodcountryhouse (picture 3)
  3. Put in commercial grade vinyl tile in a checkerboard pattern like shown in David Burman’s 1920’s kitchen (picture 4)

If anyone has any experience with this, please advise and what you think would be the best option.

Thanks!
Laura

Comment