SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chloelauren

Philodendron squamiferum has thin and browning new leaves

Chloé
3 years ago

Overwatering, overfertilising or in need of a water?

I have a squamiferum I transplanted to leca a couple of month ago but it didn’t seem to do so great (Potentially due to a small amount of soil right at the centre of the root ball which was in a peat pellet, didnt want to damage the roots too much trying to remove it all but clearly I should have...)

The plastic pot sat inside a ceramic pot with around an inch of water at the bottom with a weak solution of fertiliser, maybe 8th strength.

The plant has only got worse as time went on, mainly on the newest leave (image 1) which is paper thin, quite floppy, very anaemic and the only remaining leaf with any damage.

The only leaf to drop is fairly yellow but has brown patches also (Pic 2)

I checked the roots and although the primary ones were firm and greeny white, a lot of the hairs and smaller roots were light brown and came off with the lightest touch.

Removed any mushy roots, rinsed off, allowed to dry and replanted in a loose mix last weekend and haven’t watered yet.

Theres no browning on the other leaves, no mushy stem, around 60% humidity and 15-20° daily, near south east facing window in a room that has south west facing window also so plenty of indirect but bright light.

Im unsure if this is a fertilising issue or due to water stress but the brown tips are very slowly seeming to get worse so I’d appreciate any advice! Thanks in advance :)

Comment