SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_580769331

Kitchen Design Feedback New Build

Darrin Ross
3 years ago

Hello Houzz!

We are getting ready to break ground on our new home as first time builders and I have learned a LOT from this site in the past several months as we plan. Thanks to all of you for the informal education you have provided me.

I am looking for some feedback on our kitchen layout/design plans, please. The house is being built by a production builder that allows some customization so I can't move walls/doors but I can determine appliance placement, cabinet configuration, etc. In this drawing, I can move everything except the hidden pantry entry.

I have tried to put a detailed design of the current (default) layout below, and I'm also posting the whole main level for reference. On my design image, each square is 3" by 3". NOTE: there are no windows in the kitchen itself but it gets lots of natural light from the attached open dining and living spaces with very large windows.

We are a family of two adults and to very young kids...looking to raise the kids in this house for the next 15+ years. So family-friendly is the main goal. We cook several times a week, and want the kids to be able to help once they're old enough. We don't entertain often but do occasionally.

Things I've thought of at this point include:

1) Should we move the sink / Dishwasher either to off-center the sink and allow a better prep area on the island, or move them off the island all together?

2) Should we move the stove to allow for better division of that counter space/cabinets?

3) The island is a nice size but should we make it deeper and/or move it in more to shorten the "in kitchen" aisle and widen the one between the kitchen and living space?

THANK YOU in advance for your feedback and suggestions!

Darrin

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors