SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cyndi_vanherpe50

Help adding depth and dimension to FLAT fireplace

Cyndi Vanherpe
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

HELP!

I feel like I am drowning in looking at pics of fireplaces and not coming up with a potential solution. We just purchased a new home that has a vaulted ceiling in the family room/Living room and a fireplace. The fireplace is wood burning, which we like. The issue is aesthetically, it's really FLAT against the wall. It doesn't project away from the wall at all....AND it has this crazy high hearth that runs across the length of the room.

Note- these photos are listing photos and not our furniture.

We plan to get rid of the crazy hearth/plant wall...but will obviously still need some kind of hearth below the fireplace. (Because the firebox is that far off the ground.)

We will be getting rid of the textured ceiling and painting all the trim, redoing flooring etc.

We're looking for some way to give dimension and depth to the fireplace, but worry that the firebox would look strange and pushed way too far back if we don't approach the solution correctly.

Here are some pics of the CURRENT situation:

I realize I cannot do all of this, (too big, too far away from the wall) but I LOVE the look of this:

As you can tell however, this fireplace sticks out into the room quite a ways. (WHICH I LIKE)...but I just don't think I can build out the front as far as this is and still have the firebox (where the wood sits and where you make the fire) look right (notice how little depth difference there is between the surface of the black layer, the stone surrounding it and the white trim?

HELP!

Anyone have any ideas about how to rectify a really BAD flat fireplace design and use the existing firebox?

Thanks in advance!

Cyndi

Comments (27)