SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis_ma

Getting a Dog??? (In Times of Social Distancing...)

artemis_ma
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I'm not ready to get one yet - I have a nearly-19 year old cat who even if she's always a mellow being, would hate having a new animal in the house (other than the quail, which are confined and she simply ignores). It would be unfair to her - but I know the day is coming when she will cross that Rainbow Bridge (she's already arthritic and has low-end kidney issues).

I've never had a dog, but I know what breeds I want - or mostly I know what breeds I can't stand enough to live with. (NO Jack Russell's - like calm DOWN already! - NO labs - I can't stand animals who want to fawn all over you all the time.... - no Chihuahuas or any of those rodent-like yapping dogs...) Sorry if I stepped on anyone's favorite but... I just know it won't work. I probably have an extra dislike of labs and retrievers having known too many owners who haven't trained those animals not to jump up on guests arriving in the doorway - me and my bum knees and all.

I'm simply exploring a partnership with mid-sized dogs who can - if they all meet as juveniles - can get along with cats, because I will always get one or two more. As an aside, there are two families in town who between them own three rescue Bernese Mountain dogs - I like that breed. I would also like an Aussie - yes, I DO live on a farm and plan to get sheep or similar livestock and they could work off their own large amounts of energy by being trained as herding dogs - I'm sure a dog like this most likely will come from a breeder specializing in herding animals, rather than most rescues. And at that point I'd be arranging to acquire some sheep...

I have never had a dog - basically I figured in my working days it was unfair to keep them cooped up (or find Doggy Day Care and still never get to know them) for up to 11 or 12 hours a working day. BUT now that I'm retired... COVID hit.

I live alone (regards other humans). I NEED for any dog I get to socialize with other human beings, and other dogs. I also need to take him or her into dog training classes since, not already having one in the past, I KNOW there's a LOT I need to know. I don't need an attack dog! I also need to have any herding dog learn that training (alongside me) as well.

The actual question here: HOW are people, especially new to dogs, dealing these days with new canine pets????

PS, I'm hoping Serenity makes it to 20 years, but I want to think ahead...

Comments (118)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County