SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_206569992

Bathroom remodel concerns

HU-206569992
3 years ago

I’m working on remodeling my bathroom. It’s very slow going, as I am doing it by myself, and have limited skills/knowledge (im cringing as I write it). I’ve committed to removing the tile, almost gone, and the cement board and drywall (not sure why they used both, anyone?), and had plans to replace the hot water baseboards. However, I’m stuck because of a few things.

1. the backing to the baseboard heater is nailed into the studs, which I guess is not super unusual, but before I go trying to tear it out, is there something else I should do instead?

2. in the course of removing the wall, I’ve encountered a leaking shut off valve, which is terribly difficult to shut off completely or basically turn at all. I’m planning on calling a plumber to replace this and to replace the toilet/move the shower head. But where it’s currently dripping slowly, do I need to have this taken care of before I’m ready to call the plumber. for clarification, I was not planning on having the plumber come until I was all done with the walls, except the shower head wall.

3. this is our only bathroom in the house, so I’m working very slowly to allow showers/toilet use, but I’m concerned about how/when timing on the real work that needs to happen. I was originally planing on trying to complete a wall at a time and then get to the shower, do the shower walls, now it seems like I should tear it all down, and put it all back up. Which would put our shower (at least) out of commission for much longer than the 3 days I was hoping for.

4. insulation. I was surprised to not find any in the wall I’ve removed so far, is this common? It is an interior wall, with the kitchen on the other side? When I replace it, should I be insulated? And where there is the sink plumbing, should I be using cement board, or can I just do with drywall. Im not planning on tiling (unless I decide to do a small back splash).

thanks in advance. I know I’m going to get a lot of responses that I should call a professional, and trust me 100% that I would if I could...but that’s just not in the budget. I’ve attached some photos and I will update the post with photos on the shower wall, and other walls, which are the real reason for this project.

thanks!

jessica

Comments (17)