MI Gov. Whitmer calls Trump's latest attacks 'incredibly disturbing'

dublinbay z6 (KS)

As far as Trump is concerned, it's no big deal to overthrow a state government! Just a topic of fun.

-------------------------------

It’s incredibly disturbing that the president of the United States — 10 days after a plot to kidnap, put me on trial and execute me, 10 days after that was uncovered — the president is at it again,” [Michigan governor Getchen] Whitmer said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” “And inspiring and incentivizing and inciting this kind of domestic terrorism.”

She added: “It is wrong. It has got to end. It is dangerous, not just for me and my family but for public servants everywhere who are doing their jobs.”

On Saturday night, just 17 days before Election Day, Trump held a rally in Muskegon, Mich., where he downplayed the plot against Whitmer and castigated the Democrat for local lockdown measures aimed at curtailing the coronavirus. According to the latest tracking data from Johns Hopkins University, the virus has killed about 220,000 Americans this year. The coronavirus has had recent spikes in the Midwest.

“You’ve got to get your governor to open up your state, OK? And get your schools open! Get your schools open! The schools have to be open, right?” Trump told his supporters at the start of his rally.

Lock her up! Lock her up!” his supporters chanted.

“Lock them all up,” Trump concurred.

Whitmer was the target of a failed kidnapping plot, according to authorities, who announced earlier this month that they charged 13 men with federal and state crimes in connection to the alleged scheme to overthrow Michigan’s state government. Trump has previously urged his supporters to "LIBERATE MICHIGAN!" Whitmer said after the arrests that Trump’s language gives comfort to these kinds of militia groups.

Forty minutes later into Trump’s Saturday-night rally, the president again railed against Michigan’s lockdown measures and sparked the crowd to resume the “lock her up” chants.

"I guess they said she was threatened, right? She was threatened. And she blamed me! She blamed me," Trump said of Whitmer.

Trump touted the role of federal authorities in stopping the alleged plot. . . ."

Lara Trump, the president’s daughter-in-law and senior campaign adviser, similarly said Sunday on CNN’s “State of the Union” that it was “the president’s Department of Justice that actually thwarted this attack.” Host Jake Tapper pressed her repeatedly on whether the president should tone down his rhetoric. . . .

“He wasn’t doing anything, I don’t think, to provoke people to threaten this woman at all. He was having fun at a Trump rally,” she said. . . .

[. . .]

But House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Sunday urged Trump to “realize that the words of the president of the United States weigh a ton.”

. . . She urged people upset by Trump’s comments to cast ballots in the upcoming election. “The biggest antidote to his poison is the vote,” she said."

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-michigan-rally-whitmer-145137769.html

----------------------------

Yes, Pelosi--cool as usual. "Vote him out!" is the correct response.

Kate

SaveComment31Like4
Comments (31)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Iris GW

What I notice is how Trump supporters don't criticize him for even this kind of stuff. You can almost hear them shrug.

15 Likes Save    
Nana H

This is just so wrong. An American Govenor is the target of an anti government plot and Trump " jokes" about it, even stirs the pot. It is just so wrong , how did so many lose their sense of right and wrong?

17 Likes Save    
catspa_zone9sunset14

Faustian bargain, Nana.

5 Likes Save    
nickel_kg(6)

I hope there's a huge voter turnout. I want to know how many of my fellow Americans support which way forward. I might be crying come Nov 4th, but I'd rather know than speculate.

6 Likes Save    
lurker111

Can you imagine a politician that would lock down a city and let her husband have the lake all to himself? Oh wait...pelosi. Seems to be a trend.

Save    
Iris GW

Suburban women in Michigan will not be happy with his words, further proof that he doesn't understand them.

5 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

I hope everyone realizes that's a doctored photo of Whitmer up there...

7 Likes Save    
Nana H

CHARACTER MATTERS WEEK !!!!

4 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Whitmer:

3 Likes Save     Thanked by dublinbay z6 (KS)
Kathy

Whitmer had nothing to do with her husband’s joke about getting his boat in the water.

1 Like Save    
kadefol

The OP says she is disturbed. She does look disturbed.

Not as disturbed as dear leader.

4 Likes Save    
artemis_ma

Elvis: The OP says she is disturbed. She does look disturbed.

Seriously, if there'd been a plot to kidnap ME, I'd look disturbed, too. I think just about ANYONE would look disturbed in such a situation. You, me, anyone.

8 Likes Save    
Gizmo

elvis

The OP says she is disturbed. She does look disturbed.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Gee Elvis, you don't look disturbed when a mob wants to kidnap you, kill the people around you, put you on trial, and then execute you?

Have you gone down the Trump waste drain you no longer have any empathy....or decency, by mocking a victim? SMH

19 Likes Save    
bob_cville

I'm not sure who would not be disturbed by a President encouraging his followers to overthrow the government of Michigan by force.

Isn't speaking and encouraging the overthrow by force of a duly elected government the very definition of Sedition?

22 Likes Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

Gizmo, just between the prison assault thread and this one, that should be more than sufficient. Do you really have to ask?

4 Likes Save    
Gizmo

gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

Gizmo, just between the prison assault thread and this one, that should be more than sufficient. Do you really have to ask?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah silly me, I forgot, a leopard can't change its(her) spots...

1 Like Save    
HU-806720425

She does look disturbed? What a hateful and inappropriate comment. The Governor is frightened by Right Wing thugs and the hate just keeps on coming.

10 Likes Save    
Iris GW

The original 'disturbed' comment (and photoshopped picture) seems to have disappeared but the memory lingers ....

12 Likes Save    

Indeed Iris. Not the first that has happened and certainly not the last, I'm sure.

Gaslighting seems to be a common tactic for a particular ilk.

5 Likes Save    
elvis

Iris GW

The original 'disturbed' comment (and photoshopped picture) seems to have disappeared but the memory lingers ....

It's still there for me, so one of you guys did it.

Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

If Whitmer was doing what donnie is doing to her she probably would be locked up.

2 Likes Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

Yeah silly me, I forgot, a leopard can't change its(her) spots...

Well, perhaps their hearts were not always so black, and it is just they changed for the worse. ;-) The thing is though, as I became aware of the unwavering lengths trump supporters will go to to support the horrific, they can never have anything but black hearts. No amount of pretending, faking, lying or covering up will ever convince me they are decent. That road is closed.

5 Likes Save    

Even decent people may do indecent things when they're encouraged to do so.

1 Like Save    
jmm1837

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing?

Actually, I am coming to the conclusion that, if evil triumphs because good people look away, the good people were never all that good.

9 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Eh, Governor Whitmer is a female Democrat so she deserves Trump's abominable attacks.

That said: LIBERATE THE WHITE HOUSE!

6 Likes Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

Even decent people may do indecent things when they're encouraged to do so.

After weighing number of times, willfulness, and degree of seriousness, there comes a point when those "decent' people can no longer be considered such IMO. There is no "I wasn't aware..." that can plausibly be made at this point.

5 Likes Save    
Kathy

What is actually disturbing is a President that calls his opponent a monster and inciting violence against a Democratic Governor who has been target of kidnapping by domestic terrorists. That is disturbing.

7 Likes Save    
jmm1837

The way I see it, good people might have voted for Trump in 2016, but, having seen him in action (or, with Covid, inaction) they cannot claim a lack of awareness this time around. His racism, his ignorance, his willingness to ignore or excuse the Putins and Proud boys, his contempt for the Constitution, his abject failure to unite the country in the face of a shared enemy (Covid),have all been on display. Those who choose to ignore all of that because they think their shares will do better and their taxes will decrease under Trump are putting self interest ahead of what is right.

14 Likes Save    
bleusblue2

bob_cville

I'm not sure who would not be disturbed by a President encouraging his followers to overthrow the government of Michigan by force.

Isn't speaking and encouraging the overthrow by force of a duly elected government the very definition of Sedition?

~~~~

Yes -- why does that get by the elected Senators and Representatives and Barr? We know why. That is the definition

"Liberate Michigan" -- sedition

"Elections are rigged" -- sedition

My neighbour says "Why would he WANT another four years in office"" I said because he'll be going to jail if he loses the election.

"Well -- he'd still go to jail after the second four years" she said.

"No -- he'd then have four years to completely corrupt and divert justice in this country."

6 Likes Save    
barncatz

I heard her speak after the kidnapping threat. She seemed lovely, intelligent. She has children and she was clearly scared for them. My heart went out to her.

I think of these kinds of plots in third world countries. It's really shocking to me that Trump and his supporters can laugh at this.

Even if we vote Trump out, I think a Tom Cotton or a Ted Cruz will just step in and they'll all keep chanting.

3 Likes Save    
artemis_ma

Lurker: Can you imagine a politician that would lock down a city and let her husband have the lake all to himself? Oh wait...pelosi. Seems to be a trend.

The topic on this thread is the governor of Michigan. Start your own topic, and I will be there agreeing that it she was wrong on doing that. I am NO Pelosi fan, but frankly, I think kidnapping a governor might just be a bit more EVIL than locking down a city for a lake.

I simply don't understand an inability to converse to the topic at hand.

3 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Materials Insulation Basics: What to Know About Spray Foam
Learn what exactly spray foam is, the pros and cons of using it and why you shouldn’t mess around with installation
Full Story
The Polite House The Polite House: How to Handle a Grievance With a Neighbor and an HOA
A condo resident complains about noise from a toddler out with her mom on a 7 a.m. dog walk. Does the mother have any recourse?
Full Story
Landscape Design Natural Swimming Pools: More Beauty, No Chemicals
Keep your skin and the environment healthy with a pool that cleans itself, naturally
Full Story