Stand Mixer Recommendations, Please.
5 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (59)
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years agodonna_loomis thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
Related Discussions
My Disappointing New KA Stand Mixer
Comments (41)I bought my wife the 5.5Qt lift bowl model number "KV25mexer5" from Costco. It has all steel gears. I got when they had basically 2 sales on it at same time. $50 off from KA and $30 off from Costco so we paid $249.00 total. For $250 it is probably the best choice you can find for a mixer, we have not had any problems with ours after 5 months of use so far. Hasn't had any problem making a 3 cup batch of bread dough using the dough hook and on speed 2 like it says to do. So far for us and especially for the price it was the best deal for our needs. It is loud but so is every other mixer in this power range. It seems rather solid, no grinding, everything works smoothly. I seriously looked at the Bosch Universal which is definitely a better mixer especially if you make a lot of large 6+ cup dough batches. But for the one I would buy (stainless bowl with blender) is $550 on sale. So more than double the price. For how much we use a mixer this Costco KA was our best deal by far, plus the added perk of if anything happens to it the first year or maybe even longer we could just take it right back for a full refund or replacement with no hassles. IF you use the hell out of a mixer though I would pay the extra and get the Bosch Universal. As far as where the KA "Stand Mixers" are made they are actually made in Greenville OH. The KA hand mixers are however made in China. But like most everything else made in China it is made there under the exact specifications that the American Company wants, unfortunately that happens to be cheap as humanly possible which is why they are made there. IF the American company stated we want the best possible mixer you can make and stated exactly what they wanted, what materials to use etc that is exactly what they would get from China. So while everyone continually puts the blame on China it really has next to nothing to do with them. It is the American company that purposely wants crap at the cheapest price possible....See MoreRecommendation for a good stand mixer
Comments (15)I have both a 6 qt KA Pro and the Electrolux DX. The Electrolux can whip one egg white or knead 20 cups of dough BUT there is quite a learning curve. I use it to make bread all the time and also for very dense cookie doughs. But to whip up eggs or cream, make muffins, mash potatoes and most of the general baking I do, I still use the KA Pro. Mine is about 6 yrs old now so I probably have the plastic problematic gear box but so far it's only overheated once making a heavy bread dough. It worked fine after it had cooled down and I now use the Electolux for those jobs. You can find the KA Pro at great prices (20% off at BBB - sometimes even better at Amazon if you don't care about the color). Another thing to consider would be the tilt head. The Cuisinart and that great looking Bosch have tilt heads as do the 5 qt KA models. It makes it SOOOOOO much easier to add ingredients, scrape down the bowl and even just get the beaters into the bowl. That is one feature I miss on the 6 qt KA Pro - just thought I'd put it out there. BTW, when I was looking and before buying the Electrolux, I did look at The Bosch Universal and it was my second choice - can't go wrong with that one either (www.pleasanthillgrain.com) Finally the Cuisinart 5.5 qt earned top rating when Cooks Illustrated tested these in March 2008, the KA Pro 6 qt came in second. The Viking models and the Bosch Universal were recommended with reservations as were the KA 5 qt models and the Elecrolux - well that one was "Not Recommended"....See MoreWhat color is your KitchenAid stand mixer?
Comments (105)What a great thread - I have the original white, lift bowl Model K 5A. And I have to confess that many times over the years I've been tempted by the siren call of those glorious cobalt, pistachio and and chrome machines. But I have a strong sentimental attachment to my Kitchen Aid and I still remember the day my husband and I purchased it. While waiting to have the tires changed on our 1971 Plymouth Duster we wandered across the parking lot to a Best Products store. He spied me eyeing the mixer and encouraged me to buy it. I thought it was too extravagant - we were living on one income and he still had 2 more years of med school. But we had been scrimping and watching every penny and DH was working in the lab on weekends so he bought it for me. I still have the receipt, I use it as a bookmark inside my Joy of Cooking. That was 11/20/1976 and I paid $164.89 for it. And it's also the first thing I look for when I check a bridal registry - it's my favorite gift. Maire...See MoreExperience with stand mixers?
Comments (41)Just have to chime in here, as a (former) KitchenAid Pro 600 owner. We bought ours in 2004, a "luxury" upgrade from our older (also "professional" grade) Kitchenaid. Right away we noticed the lighter weight of the bowl and attachments ... that was okay, we attributed it to "improved" materials. Next we noticed the annoyingly high-pitched whine on higher speeds. Again, tolerable if annoying. It did whip things nicely. However, it cost quite a lot, and now ... not quite 4 years later, it has suddenly died. Stripped gears courtesy of Julia Child's classic croissant dough recipe (which my old KitchenAid handled with no sweat!). Horrible sound and then dead. I will not touch another "new and improved KitchenAid mixer again -- it's a lot of money for something that will only last a few years (apparently, the problem -- well known to KA -- is the gear COVER -- the gears themselves are metal, but the cover is, oddly, plastic). So this is one FORMER KitchenAid fan who will look elsewhere for a replacement. IMO, the quality just isn't what it used to be. I will be astonished if the newer machines are still running in 5 years ... much less 30!...See More- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years agodonna_loomis thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agodonna_loomis thanked dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years agodonna_loomis thanked WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Stories

KITCHEN MAKEOVERSKitchen of the Week: Storage for a Stand Mixer Powers a Redo
A redesign makes a cookie-cutter condo kitchen in Michigan more efficient and better for baking
Full Story
KITCHEN STORAGEWhere to Stash the Stand Mixer in Your Kitchen
Stand mixers aren’t huge, but they’re heavy. See storage ideas for keeping them accessible and easy to use
Full Story
HOUSEPLANTSMother-in-Law's Tongue: Surprisingly Easy to Please
This low-maintenance, high-impact houseplant, also known as snake plant, fits in with any design
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESDesign Recommendation: A Classic Brown Leather Sofa
We pen a love letter to the versatile, comfortable and stylish piece found in so many homes
Full Story
MOST POPULARCrowd-Pleasing Paint Colors for Staging Your Home
Ignore the instinct to go with white. These colors can show your house in the best possible light
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESBulletproof Decorating: Upholstery That Stands Up to Anything
Kids and pets are no match for fabrics as durable as these, which meet higher style standards than ever
Full Story
WORKING WITH PROS7 Things That Stand in the Way of Having an Organized Home
Whether your challenge is a lack of time, a young child, poor health or another obstacle, a pro can help you through
Full Story
HOME OFFICESQuiet, Please! How to Cut Noise Pollution at Home
Leaf blowers, trucks or noisy neighbors driving you berserk? These sound-reduction strategies can help you hush things up
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGNAccent Tile Stands Out in the Shower
A Little of Your Favorite Tile Adds a Lot of Color and Fun
Full Story
STAIRWAYS7 Ways to Make Your Stairs Stand Out
Try a one-of-a-kind handrail, an antique newel post or a gorgeous runner to add interest to your stairs
Full Story





Rose Pekelnicky