Trump's Suburban Women Problem

Iris GW

Tell us more about how Trump is speaking to these women ...

Armed with insulated tumblers of wine, the women described how Mr. Trump had turned them off from a Republican Party they once supported, one that they now see as intertwined with the president’s divisive rhetoric.

“I cannot imagine a Republican candidate that I would rally behind,” said Hannah Dasgupta, who is a stay-at-home mother of two school-age children and grew up in a conservative home. “Wow, that’s mind-blowing to think about. That’s a huge departure.”

Ms. Dasgupta, 37, said she had never liked Mr. Trump but had been unable to support Hillary Clinton in 2016. For Ms. Dasgupta, who was raised attending Christian schools, opposition to abortion was central to her political beliefs. After Mrs. Clinton offered an unapologetic defense of abortion rights in the final presidential debate, Ms. Dasgupta cast her ballot for Gary Johnson, the Libertarian candidate.

Over the past four years, Ms. Dasgupta’s views on abortion have shifted to the left as her opinion of the president has sunk. She has grown tired of explaining his actions — such as his comments in this week’s town hall questioning the effectiveness of mask-wearing — to her young children.

She connects her support of Mr. Biden to her role as a mother, saying that she spends time teaching her children basic skills like sharing and speaking respectfully — traits she believes the president lacks.

“In the last four years, my children have grown and developed more than he has in regards to the way he speaks to other people, the way he speaks about other people,” she said.

More here: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/17/us/politics/trump-women-voters.html

SaveComment68Like7
Comments (68)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barncatz

Why Trump has a problem with women that is not solveable is explained and illustrated beautifully by the Pete Souza documentary "The Way I See It".

Pete was the official White House photographer in both the Reagan and Obama administrations.

The documentary was aired Friday on MSNBC, with a repeat Sunday (tomorrow) at 10 PM Eastern. It's being discussed on another thread.

4 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Trump ever had much support from suburban women in Los Angeles County according to the votes cast in 2016.

Save    
Iris GW

"Would you like a nice low-income housing project next to your suburban beautiful ranch style house? Generally speaking, no," Trump said in Muskegon. "I saved your suburbs -- women -- suburban women, you're supposed to love Trump," he said.

At his rallies Friday night and Saturday, Trump also attacked Guthrie as angry and overly emotional during the NBC town hall.

"Her face -- the anger, the craziness," he said, describing how he viewed the dynamic during a speech to his supporters Friday night. As he doubled down on the trope of the hysterical woman, he added that he told Guthrie to "Take it easy. Relax."

Many of the female voters who have abandoned Trump recoil from his divisive language and disapprove of both his handling of race relations and the pandemic. But he has tried to convince them to support him through a campaign of fear and xenophobia, with claims about the Democratic agenda that plunge deep into the realm of the ridiculous and would be believed only by the most naïve, low-information voters.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/18/politics/donald-trump-women-gretchen-whitmer/index.html

4 Likes Save    
Iris GW

Well, you just tell that to all those women voting for Biden.

4 Likes Save    
lurker111

They are a lost cause.

Save    
Iris GW

I agree - Trump has lost them bigly. Too bad he can't figure out why he lost them. That would require intelligence on his part. Meanwhile, he doubles down on the alienating message ....

13 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I'm surprised at her reasons for turning against trump. I would've thought the fact that he has consistently treated women like dirt would be more important, especially to mothers of daughters. But whatever her reasons, I'm happy to welcome her to the light.

Of course, it's misleading as the woman cited didn't vote for trump in 2016 either. What's probably more useful would be to talk to women who voted for trump in 2016 who aren't in 2020 and why.

4 Likes Save    
Iris GW

Annie, from the first woman mentioned in the article:

WESTERVILLE, Ohio — Kate Rabinovitch doesn’t call herself an activist.

A few weeks ago, the 29-year-old real estate agent wrote personalized messages to voters in her home state of Ohio on behalf of Joseph R. Biden Jr. She texts with undecided friends during the debates, arguing for the Democratic nominee. And she is helping to organize voter drives in her suburban Cleveland neighborhood.

But a political activist? No way.

“It’s just not something that I ever would have described myself as, if you talked to me a year ago,” said Ms. Rabinovitch. “I’m just a mom with the feels, like hard feels.”

Four years ago, Ms. Rabinovitch agonized over which candidate to support. In the final minutes of voting, she walked into the booth still uncertain. She left having cast her ballot for Donald J. Trump.

“I thought, ‘Oh, what’s the worst that could happen?’” she recalled recently. “I do feel guilty.”

2 Likes Save    
bfox254

The president and his campaign are so out of touch they don't understand that suburban women are insulted by his "save the suburbs" routine. They are furious that he continues to downplay the pandemic despite all signs that we're in for a rough winter. They cringe when he insults and mocks powerful women leaders. They see a weak man who doesn't know how to lead. Begging suburban women to "like him" is laughable. Suburban women led the blue wave in the midterms and we'll do it again on 11/3.

9 Likes Save    
lurker111

lol

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Three more hard drives from China. The crats are being blackmailed. Let it all out, China. These crooks aren't getting close to the White House, regardless of the foreign propaganda. No wonder pelosi is going crazy.

Save    
socks(10a)

What you and some others here don’t understand is that you are not in trump’s world which only includes immediate family, wealthy white men and useful crooks. To him you are expendable.

10 Likes Save    
bfox254

There is no hard drive or email that will save Trump this time, depite the best efforts of Bannon (arrested for fraud) and Guiliani (soon to be arrested).

7 Likes Save    
Toby

White suburban women left the GOP in 2018. That spring and summer, "kids in cages" was in the news because of Trump's zero tolerance policy of criminalizing illegal border crossings, allowing his government to take children away from their parents. I think that's what motivated women to vote Dem in 2018.

5 Likes Save    
Iris GW

“I didn’t like Hillary — I felt that she was a fraud, basically, lying and conniving,” said Sarah Brown, 27, of Rhinelander, Wis., who regrets her 2016 vote for Mr. Trump and plans to vote for Mr. Biden. “I’m not a super big fan of him, either, but the two options — I guess it’s the lesser evil.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/18/us/politics/biden-clinton.html

The "lesser of two evils" helped elected Trump and now it will boot him out.

4 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Guess the Trump peeps feel the Hillary email issue got the 2016 win and are suckers for hints of one connected to Biden. (There sure are a lot of hdd in China.)

Save    
Toby
4 Likes Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Good to see that scruples are finally coming back in style while mulligans are running low and falling by the wayside.

5 Likes Save    
Iris GW

Don't mess with moms ....

3 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Imaginary? When our president was recorded at one of his public appearances begging suburban women to like him?

It got a pretty good response too, so I'm sure that wasn't a one-off.

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

About those percentages Trump is throwing about--

--------------------

American women voted overwhelmingly for Clinton, except the white ones

Overall, 54% of women voted for Clinton, much higher than the 42% of women who voted for Trump. But when the women’s vote is divided by race, it becomes clear that black women actually largely drove the so-called gender gap against Trump."

----------------

(Note: 95% of Black women voted for Clinton.)

So now we know that when Trump says 54% of "women" voted for him, what he is doing is passing off Hillary's percentages as his own!

Kate

Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"The president and his campaign are so out of touch they don't understand
that suburban women are insulted by his "save the suburbs" routine."

Which suburban women would those be? Last I heard, people are abandoning cities for the suburbs as fast as they can.

Hard to believe suburban women who opted for low density communities and single family homes would be "insulted" by efforts to keep high rise buildings and hundreds polluting of cars out of their neighborhoods and off their streets. Why would they agree to destroy the equity they have in their homes?

They wouldn't.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/21/joe-bidens-disastrous-plans-for-americas-suburbs/

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Zoning regs?

And, where is it written that low income housing means hi-rise, heavier traffic?

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

would be "insulted" by efforts to keep high rise buildings and hundreds polluting of cars out of their neighborhoods and off their streets.

What high rise buildings and hundreds of polluting cars have to do with what trump is talking about, it's beyond me. trump was whistling to racists to keep low-income minorities out of their neighborhoods...

6 Likes Save    
bfox254

Trump's main pitch about saving the suburbs is keeping out low income housing. We've all heard him say it multiple times although some apparently are trying to tell us what he "really means". I stand by my comment. Plenty of women are insulted by his racist rhetoric. It's one of the many reasons he's losing badly among women voters, particularly suburban women.

2 Likes Save    
Iris GW

Sure, Trump's plan to let Americans get sick with coronavirus is way better! /sarcasm

Joe Biden does not have a plan to infect suburbs with low income housing. Jeez Louise.

2 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

Suburban women may well be upset with Trump's "rhetoric." Do you think they might be upset when the bulldozers show up in their grassy neighborhoods to make way for multi-family housing?

How do you think they're going to react when their local zoning boards are controlled from Washington, DC? Do you think suburban women are going to be OK when their green neighborhoods with nice homes are turned into "balanced" neighborhoods?

I'm glad somebody brought up suburban women, because they owe it to themselves and their families to investigate what "balanced neighborhoods" will mean to them, and to the investment they've made in their suburban homes.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/21/joe-bidens-disastrous-plans-for-americas-suburbs/

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

Is there some reason why you posted that link twice on the same thread, adopted?

How do you think they're going to react when their local zoning boards are controlled from Washington, DC?

Talk about conspiracy theories! You guys are going big on this one, aren't you? You're not fooling the smart suburban women ....

3 Likes Save    
bfox254

Hounds, I wish you would have warned me sooner about the impending suburban doom. Too late, I already voted. : )

I'll keep your post in mind when the bulldozers show up next door.

3 Likes Save    
Toby

So the right wing has no news source other than trashy tabloids and wingnut blogs? How weird that everything they read comes with a partisan spin.

4 Likes Save    
zmith

Toby, I was just thinking about posting something similar on a different thread. Its as if they’re trying to convince themselves that sources on the level of the National Enquirer are all true, and everything else is bunk.

2 Likes Save    
Iris GW

They're drowning in 'fake news' and only these beacons of light like the NYPost and the Gateway Pundit are what they can reach for.

2 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"So the right wing has no news source other than trashy tabloids and
wingnut blogs? How weird that everything they read comes with a
partisan spin."

Uh, no. Suburban women are not stupid. Underestimating Donald Trump was a bad idea. Underestimating suburban women and their interest in what kind of neighborhood they will be "allowed" to live in would be unwise as well,

https://joebiden.com/housing/#

Joe has two mansions. There will be no "balance" required in the neighborhoods he invests in.

1 Like Save    
ubro(2a)

Donald is so out of touch. He talks to these women like he is talking to Laura Petrie from the Dick Van Dyke show.

4 Likes Save    
maifleur03

Wondering if those suburban women really want to have both sets of parents living with them or would prefer them living in independent subsidized housing near but not too near. What people seem to forget is that many of the senior housing developments are built with money from HUD and other government agencies who mandate that a certain number be for lower income residents. I know several women from the Y who as long as their husband's were alive they enjoyed good lives. It was a shock to find out that they are now taxed at a higher tax rate and for some or actually most any pension that their husband was receiving was cut in half or more. Being in their late 70s and 80s with what was a good income twenty years ago that has never increased has turned them into those poor that some on here look down on as being shiftless and should just go live under bridges.

3 Likes Save    
Iris GW

Uh, no. Suburban women are not stupid.

Exactly. They know what Trump is all about and most of them are not interested in his message, especially his attempts to scare them. It's working on you though, so he's got that going for him.

6 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

Iris, we can agree that suburban women are smart, and can read Joe's plans for themselves.

I have provided a link to Joe's formal plans for changing American suburbs. We can all get our information from him. Enjoy.
https://joebiden.com/housing/#

Save    
Iris GW

As a suburban woman, I think I'll trust whatever Joe wants to do over anything Trump is telling me.

And that is exactly Trump's suburban women problem.

6 Likes Save    
miss lindsey (She/Her)(8a)

Why do some posters imagine people want to move to the suburbs?

Is it really to get away from low-income neighbours?

As a former low-income neighbour that makes my stomach churn and my heart hurt. We were really nice.

7 Likes Save    
maifleur03

Currently the idea to move to the suburbs is to have a safe place away from the virus. Since they still have the same friends at least for a while they will take the virus with them.

Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

adoptedbyhounds, so what exactly is your problem with Biden's housing plan? I live in a high housing cost area. Adjacent to our neighborhood they wanted to build some mixed, partial low-cost housing. I was fine with that; my only quibble with the plan was there was an insufficient amount of parking in the original plans. The 30% is not going to happen here without financial assistance, but I see nothing wrong with that goal.

2 Likes Save    
jmm1837

I too am baffled. I live in an area of mixed housing, ranging from very nice owner occupied houses to renter occupied town houses to a public housing complex occupied by low income people, mostly elderly or disabled. What's the problem? My neighbourhood is safe, clean and friendly. The low income folks take care of their little units as well as the owner occupiers do. Some of them could be your grandparents.

4 Likes Save    
lurker111

Trump's Suburban Women Problem

FYI, there is no such hive mind voting bloc known as "suburban women". That's identity politics messing with the weak, gullible minds.

1 Like Save    
bfox254

You bring up a good point lurker. Trump has a problem with all women, not just those who live in the suburbs. I believe it was your dear leader who very publicly begged suburban women to "like him".

4 Likes Save    
lurker111

Nah, he was joking. It's good to have a president with a sense of humor. You need to see the whole speech, not just the edited clips.

Save    
lurker111

In fact, I don't know any "suburban women" that support biden. Of course, we have radical college students that are that stupid. Beto the wedo is going to be teaching here. lol

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

In fact, I don't know any "suburban women" that support biden.

As a suburban woman, I can tell you that I know hundreds of suburban women that do. So ... who ya gonna believe?

4 Likes Save    
lurker111

"all politics is local"

I can believe you while still knowing what I know to be true.

Save    
Kitchenwitch111(6)

I remember back when Trump was first elected there were a few dating sites started for Trump supporters because no one would date them. “Incels” - men who are “involuntary celibates” and can’t find a partner didn’t exist before Trump. It’s pretty clear that quality women don’t want men who support Trump.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

lol, of course not. Conservative women are soooo pretty. Smart, too. Who could ask for more?

Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"I live in an area of mixed housing, ranging from very nice owner
occupied houses to renter occupied town houses to a public housing
complex occupied by low income people, mostly elderly or disabled.
What's the problem? My neighbourhood is safe, clean and friendly. The
low income folks take care of their little units as well as the owner
occupiers do. Some of them could be your grandparents."

Thanks for sharing that, JMM. Sounds like you live in a well planned community.

Across the country, local governments have developed plans for communities like yours. That's a good thing. My objection is to the federal government usurping local control, and imposing undesirable densities, structures and traffic on existing communities to make them more "balanced."

Remember that for most families, home ownership is their largest investment. It allows Americans with even modest means to build wealth that can be passed down to their children. I don't want bureaucrats in DC dictating changes that will make a neighborhood less desirable, damage the quality of life for the current residents, and force homeowners to take a hit on home values.

I would expect suburban women who have invested in suburban homes to object to diminished property values that will come at their expense. It makes no sense to me that they would support what Joe plans to do to the suburbs.

Save    
Stars Inthesky

Old scare tactics. Didn’t trump try to scare people with Cory Booker is going to move into your neighborhood? I wish Senator Booker would move into my suburb, I would be thrilled to have Cory for a neighbor.

2 Likes Save    

Oh boy - the only folks who glom onto that 'high rise' dog whistling are the racist bigots.

There was a flap on our local nextdoor.com when our city unveiled plans for mixed use apartments in a nearby neighborhood and all those same lame arguments were trotted out. It was crystal clear what the subtext was, and the 'concerned citizens ' got called out on it plenty.

5 Likes Save    
nhb_6 ( she/her)

adoptedbyhounds

I would expect suburban women who have invested in suburban homes to object to diminished property values that will come at their expense. It makes no sense to me that they would support what Joe plans to do to the suburbs.

---------------------------------------------------------

What specifically do you object to in Biden's plans? Why do you think that it will not result in "well planned community" similar to JMM's one?

1 Like Save    
isabellagracepan

Many people who live in low income housing are seniors who struggle making ends meet. They should be building enough housing to make sure everyone has a safe home, especially when they are elderly and frail. We all need a place to sleep.

3 Likes Save    
justerrilynn(10)

I think we are going to see a minimum of a 2% increase of Trumps suburban women vote compared to 2016 stats.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

That's a lot of winning back. How is going to manage that? By walking out on a female reporter and insulting the others? Or maybe by lying about Covid or maybe just because he is so darn sexy.

Save    
justerrilynn(10)

Nana asked how.

By walking out on a female reporter and insulting the others?

Me: standing up to the bias.

Or maybe by lying about Covid?

Me: juggling the mixed data on a new virus and trying to keep everyone from panic.

Is that what you mean?

1 Like Save    
Nana H

We'll see but I think you are going to be sadly disappointed on this one.

Save    
justerrilynn(10)

Maybe. We’ll see.

Save    

Justerrilynn is that a 2% increase in total number of votes from suburban women, or 2% increase in the percentage of his votes that come from suburban women?

A person could accomplish the 2% increase in percentage while still having fewer total votes, and they could achieve the 2% higher vote total while still having that be a lower percentage than last time compared to other voting blocs so I want to be sure I’m clear what you’re predicting. It’s a very interesting forecast.

2 Likes Save    
Iris GW

Me: juggling the mixed data on a new virus and trying to keep everyone from panic.

Nothing to be proud of there. Instead of holding back panic what he did was downplay the seriousness and more people died as result of his "oh this is going to go away very soon" attitude.

This suburban mom says he didn't adequately keep us safe. He made it worse. He failed that leadership test.

5 Likes Save    

Wondering now how many here on the forums are suburban women, and if the ratios of D vs. R supporters are representative in any way?

I'm a suburban woman.

Save    
Iris GW

I keep trying to post a quote from WP but it won't show it.

Save    
ubro(2a)

juggling the mixed data on a new virus and trying to keep everyone from panic.

Just for clarity, is the US more prone to run amok with panic in a situation such as this?

I ask because many countries seemed to manage both. Last I looked there was not mass panic in the world, deep concern yes, panic, no. Most of our citizens managed to wade thru the ever changing data on this virus and adjust their habits as needed.

His statement is actually an insult to the American people, as though you are unable to grasp the complexities of a pandemic and gather the resolve to combat it.

5 Likes Save    

Good point ubro.

Very paternalistic.

1 Like Save    
bfox254

He wasn't trying to keep people from panicking, he was was trying to prevent the stock market from crashing.

2 Likes Save    

Panicking people are the ones who crash the market!

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Industrial Style Kitchen of the Week: Style Trumps Ease in a San Francisco Loft
What’s a little ladder climbing when you’ve got a gorgeous-looking kitchen design like this?
Full Story
Historic Homes Madam C.J. Walker’s Villa Lewaro: A Beacon for Women
The New York mansion of America’s first self-made female millionaire holds out the hope of success through enterprise
Full Story
Community Get a Bird's-Eye View of America's Housing Patterns
See the big picture of how suburban developments are changing the country's landscape, with aerial photos and ideas for the future
Full Story
Biltmore Design Galleria is a Design-Build company with over 15 years or so of experience. We are firm believers... Read More
Since 1989 we've been focused on providing only top quality products and services with the highest level of... Read More