Anyone watch the CNN special last night/Pete Souza??

sprtphntc7a

"The Way I See It"....

very well done.

SO many differences than our current 'president', its blinding.

in fact, too many to list here. if u have not seen it, please watch it: for what we had, for what we don't have now, and our hope for the future 1/20/21

SaveComment30Like5
Comments (30)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blfenton

Yes, we watched it. What a great show. While I didn't tear up, DH did which is highly unusual. You get a great impression from the pictures that he took of President Obama but his commentary really added to the story of the picture and of the humanity of the man. I encourage those who are a Pete Souza/Obama fan to watch it.

And actually even if you're not. It's a good documentary on the power of still photography.

6 Likes Save     Thanked by sprtphntc7a
Kathy

It is quite a contrast to Souza being able and allowed to photograph actual events and daily happenings compared to this administration totally posed photos to sway opinions instead of documenting the POTUS. Instead of knowing what is going on we are shown only what they want to portray.

5 Likes Save     Thanked by sprtphntc7a
dublinbay z6 (KS)

A truly absorbing show. I turned it on, curious what a show about a presidential photographer would be about, but convinced I wouldn't watch more than 5 or 10 minutes of it.

Couldn't turn it off. It had me totally absorbed--all the way through to the end!

I urge you--watch it!

Kate

4 Likes Save    
sprtphntc7a

Kate, me too!! i could not stop watching!! i thought it was only an hour, so i was up late last night!!

i did tear up, a few times!

so much i did not know, wow, what an extraordinary human being!!

2 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

We recorded it and will watch this weekend. I did catch a few minutes and yes, the difference between then and now, is stunning.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by sprtphntc7a
Bookwoman(7a PA)

If you don't follow Pete Souza on Instagram, you should. His feed is full of wonderful 'comments', via photos, on the current occupant of the WH: https://www.instagram.com/petesouza/

Joaniepoanie

It was on MSNBC and repeats tomorrow night—-Sunday—-at 10pm Eastern.

Mimou-GW

I loved it! In addition to the Obama photos, the Reagan ones were great too. I don’t think I paid much attention to politics back when Reagan was president. But wow, what glamour!

eta I watched on MSNBC

2 Likes Save     Thanked by sprtphntc7a
Nana H

Thanks, Joanie, I missed it will catch it then, well at least record, 10 PM is past my bed time!!

1 Like Save     Thanked by sprtphntc7a
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Didn't know about it, thanks for posting! I love his work. He's a great photographer and I follow him on Instagram.

socks(10a)

I'll tape it Sunday night. Watched a trailer on youtube and teared up. Thank you, Pete.

1 Like Save     Thanked by sprtphntc7a
blfenton

I didn't realize that Laura Dern has a production company and they were the producers of the documentary.

Gizmo

Loved it - but it made me so sad thinking of what we've lost--esp class & elegance, since the vulgarian was elected.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by sprtphntc7a
soupgirl53

It was an unexpected treat. I intended to watch only a couple of minutes and ended up watching the whole thing.

Moxie(Z4 St. Paul, MN)

I've never cared for photographs of people, but Souza may have changed my mind. He truly has a gift for capturing the emotion of the moment. And still photography provides a way to contemplate things that just don't register in video.

cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)(zone 7, Northern VA)

Thanks, Joanie. I was only able to watch part of it. Will watch it all on Sunday!

Save    
elvis

Peter Souza used to be a White House photographer. Had to look him up for that. Nope, did not catch my attention, why would it?

Save    
barncatz

I follow him on Instagram and highly recommend his account. On IG, Pete suggested watching through the credits, so we did and there were a couple photos of Charlotte, his turtle!

I honestly have thought of Presidents as impacting us through their policy. The documentary convinced me that their empathy towards us, the people, was essential, crucial, invaluable.

I know I've been learning that from seeing what happens when it is missing. But I still thought that it was the chaos we needed freedom from. Seeing this documentary, the photos of Reagan and Obama, and hearing the Newtown/Sandy Hook father explain it, we are a family and how the father/President acts towards us affects the health of the country.

I kept thinking of Trump's little powerplay when he refused California disaster funds. That is damaging to all of us and I really understand after seeing this documentary, why it damages us.

It was eye-opening, interesting, beautiful beyond belief and I teared up.

Joaniepoanie

Elvis, why am I not surprised?

I just watched it——excellent! It’s heartbreaking the depths this administration has brought us to. Seems like four decades, not years, since we’ve had a kind, empathetic, intelligent, mature, true leader in the WH.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by sprtphntc7a
Kathy

Souza was a photojournalist for years including Presidents Reagan and Obama. It was interesting to learn how he seriously considered his job as recording history. He barely left Obama’s side during his time there and he said he had a very open door policy with the Obama presidency.

Joaniepoanie

This also struck me——Pete followed O everywhere any time of the day or night for thousands of candid shots, while Mr. “everything is fake news” only allows posed, staged photos.

ETA: Also, we will never see a documentary about what a loving, good father and husband Trump was nor that he was a caring, kind , intelligent, empathetic, human being or true, strong leader. Documentaries about Trump will be like documentaries about Hitler and Mussolini.

8 Likes Save     Thanked by sprtphntc7a
Michele

I watched it last night. I normally can’t stay awake to watch anything at that hour. Really so glad I caught it. Souza’s photographs are powerful.

Save     Thanked by sprtphntc7a
Ninapearl(2aIL)

i watched it last night. incredible photography and i especially loved the ones of O with his family. the snow angels...

miss lindsey (She/Her)(8a)

If the doc is as good as his insta it’s well worth watching! Hope it is on Netflix or prime eventually.

lurker111

Yellow journalism is banned in my house. That means no CNN or MSNBC.

Save    
jerseygirl07603 z6NJ

I watched it last night. Wonderful! Not only did I tear up a few times, I cried out loud too.

vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

We don't ban journalism here, not even Deep Orange journalism such as fox. Beware of internet sources, esp facebook & twitter, all just mostly gossip, innuendo, accusations, and stale rumors - the worst sources for facts/news.

sprtphntc7a

how are pictures of Reagan and Obama, yellow journalism ????????

makes no sense!

where do u get your news????

1 Like Save    
barncatz

The film begins streaming on Peacock and iTunes on October 23, according to Pete's IG account.

Save     Thanked by sprtphntc7a
Stars Inthesky

I saw it, so heartbreaking remembering when we had a real president.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular 11 Nominees for the ‘She Shed’ Hall of Fame
These special sanctuaries let busy women get away from it all without leaving the backyard
Full Story
Remodeling Guides From the Pros: 8 Reasons Kitchen Renovations Go Over Budget
We asked kitchen designers to tell us the most common budget-busters they see
Full Story
Bathroom Design 10 Bathroom Trends From the Kitchen and Bathroom Industry Show
A designer and his team hit the industry’s biggest show to spot bathroom ideas with lasting appeal
Full Story
For over 50 years, we have provided quality masonry products to homeowners, contractors, and architects at our... Read More