Amy Siskind's list

Annie Deighnaugh

It's probably behind the wapo firewall but it's worthwhile reviewing if you can. So much I'd forgotten...

Amy Siskind

Oct. 16, 2020

Experts in authoritarianism advise keeping a list of things changing, subtly, around you, so you’ll remember. Days after the 2016 presidential election, I started a list. Each week, I chronicle the ways Donald Trump has changed our country. This selection, adapted from more than 34,000 entries — or about 1 percent of the total — focuses on the norms he and his administration have broken. The List offers us a road map back to normalcy and democracy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/outlook/siskind-list-trump-norms/?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR3HxcpynWYwMQIqRKtLNYr_qNR6n-AlFZILfZsNO8YeW0AunBS9ejZPyv8

SaveComment38Like4
Comments (38)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh

In Human Rights Watch’s annual report of threats to rights around the world, the United States is listed as a top threat for the first time in 27 years, citing Trump.

3 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Week 10: Within hours of Trump being sworn in, mentions of climate change, civil rights and LGBT disappear from the White House webpage. Four journalists are arrested while covering the inauguration protests.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Week 11: Trump declares his Inauguration Day to be a National Day of Patriotic Devotion.

Trump promotes Bannon, under a reorganization of the National Security Council, to a regular seat on the principals committee.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Week 12: After Trump’s first overseas raid ended in failure, Spicer admits that Trump was not in the Situation Room during the Yemen raid. He issued the green light while at dinner, and during the raid, Trump was busy sending unrelated, incendiary tweets.

Trump opens his remarks at the National Prayer Service by attacking Arnold Schwarzenegger for low ratings on “The Apprentice.”

Trump lifts sanctions, introduced by Obama in December, on Russian security service FSB.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Week 14: Michael Flynn becomes the third adviser to Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign forced to resign over inappropriate ties to Russia.

Shortly after Trump announces he will support Beijing’s “One China” policy,China awards Trump valuable rights in a 10-year trademark deal.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Week 15: The National Security Council spokesman resigns over Trump’s disturbing and repeated attempts to undermine U.S. intelligence.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Week 18: Reuters reports that Russian elites invested close to $100 million in Trump luxury towers in South Florida.

With cameras rolling,Trump refuses to shake German Chancellor Angela Merkel’s hand at a meeting at the White House.

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

^^^ You have a loooooooooooooooong day ahead of you Annie ;-)

6 Likes Save     Thanked by Annie Deighnaugh
Annie Deighnaugh

Week 24: Reports say the State Department and two U.S. Embassieshave promoted Mar-a-Lago on their websites with a 400-word blog post.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Week 26: FBI Director James Comey becomes the third person, after Sally Yates and U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara, fired by Trump while conducting investigations linked to him.

At a meeting with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Ambassador Sergey Kislyak attended by Russian state media but not U.S. media, Trump reveals highly classified information on the Islamic State.

Save    
Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Vgkg, and I'm leaving out so many!!!

3 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Week 46: In a tear-filled plea after Hurricane Maria,San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz says, “I am begging, begging anyone who can hear us to save us from dying.” Trump attacks her for “poor leadership” and calls her “nasty.”

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Week 52: After his second private “sideline” chat with Putin on an Asia trip, Trump tells reporters, “He said he didn’t meddle. I asked him again,” and calls former U.S. intelligence officials “political hacks.”

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Week 57: At a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention meeting, policy analysts are given a list of seven forbidden words: “vulnerable,” “entitlement,” “diversity,” “transgender,” “fetus,” “evidence-based” and “science-based.”

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I'll stop there...but just remember, all this and more goes on for another 3 years!!

Save    
how2girl

Thank you Annie, important reminders.

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Well, one more:

Week 64: The Trump administration announces it will not implement new sanctions against Russia for 2016 election interference, despite a law that passed overwhelmingly in Congress.

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Oh...I don't remember this one!

Week 69: A rider to the homeland security reauthorization bill would allow Trump to dispatch Secret Service agents to polling places nationwide during federal elections.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Here's a cute one I didn't know

Week 110: A survey of more than 110 CEOs finds that75 percent often have to apologize to international partners about Trump when traveling abroad for business.

1 Like Save    
paprikash

Don’t vote for him

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

We won't.

9 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Good suggestion paprikash! I won't and I suspect I'll have a lot of company too!

7 Likes Save    
HU-293745350

The right is made up mainly of weak weak people who need a daddy to lead them by the nose.

Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

The women I know who are RWers had abusive or absent fathers.

Just an anecdote.

Save    
socks(10a)

I hope Biden is keeping a list. He has a lot of work to do.

2 Likes Save    
sprtphntc7a

Thanks Annie for all the reminders! there are sssssooooo many, i am so glad someone wrote them down, b/c no one can remember all these atrocities against our democracy.

RW's: oh but he's just the best thing since sliced bread.... let's just bury our head in the sand and pretend it all away. but wait, they can't because they have FOX on 24/7...

11.3.20 can't come soon enough so we can end this nightmare!

3 Likes Save    
paprikash

THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

The women I know who are RWers had abusive or absent fathers.

Just an anecdote.

—————

Well, the women I know who are LWers had fathers who fathered many babies with many different women. Many are also toothless.

just an anecdote

1 Like Save    
bleusblue2

Whatever we say here and now, in years to come -- if the planet survives -- this question will be studied over and over: "What made citizens of a great democracy follow a fake billionaire TV star who despised them?"

The other question may be: "Who were the people who voted for him -- after all these years still nobody will admit to having cast a vote for such a con artist."

Of course there will be many other questions and branches of study; I can't predict them all.

4 Likes Save    
cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)(zone 7, Northern VA)

Aw Pap, my parents were married for 61 years-no out of wedlock babies and we all have our teeth still.

4 Likes Save    
paprikash

And, Cyn, I had a wonderful loving father.

Save    
deegw

Just an anecdote - people I know who brag online about personal relationships are often hiding relationship issues.

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

Annie, does it tell when Trump hires black actors ages 22-40 from an agency for his rallies and pays them $250? Backstage.com

2 Likes Save    
socks(10a)

11/3 won't be the end of it, sprt. He can do much damage between then and January. And when he's out the door, he'll still be tweeting and ragging on everything the new, decent administration does because he's so ******* smart.

Save    
Kathy

Maybe he includes hiring blacks for his rallies as he’s done more for blacks than any other President——haha

2 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

paprikash

Well, the women I know who are LWers had fathers who fathered many babies with many different women. Many are also toothless.

just an anecdote

That's kind of surprising coming from a supporter of the president who has (at least) five kids with three mothers, cheated on wife number one with wife number two, cheated on wife number two with wife number three, cheated on wife number three with a p*rn star while wife number three was home with his latest newborn.

8 Likes Save    
zmith

“Well, the women I know who are LWers had fathers who fathered many babies with many different women. Many are also toothless.

just an anecdote”

Surely this was out of love for left-leaning posters here, because otherwise it could be construed as hate. That would be ironic because it’s coming from a poster who frequently calls Democrats the “party of hate.”

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Maybe he includes hiring blacks for his rallies as he’s done more for blacks than any other President——haha

More likely he thinks he's done more for blacks because....look how many I've hired for all my rallies!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Architecture An Architect's Wish List for the New Year
Have a better relationship with your home and neighbors this year with these forward-thinking ideas
Full Story
Wall Treatments Source List: 20 Wallpapers That Make the Room
Find out where to get the wallpaper that makes the difference in these popular interiors
Full Story
Decorating Guides Expressive Modern: The Interiors of Amy Lau
In her first book, designer Amy Lau reveals some techniques behind her signature look
Full Story
Nueva Castilla Co. Is A San Francisco Based Metal Fabricator. We Have Developed A Strong Reputation For Quality... Read More