SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peboone

Anyone growing fofonoff plum in southern Alberta?

Chinook(4a)
3 years ago

I thought I planted a fofonoff but this is what I got:

The skin of Hardygold is yellow. Hardygold is a firm, juicy and sweet plum. It is a good plum for fresh eating and jams and it matures in mid-August.

The tree

The plum tree has to be pollinated by a Canada plum or an American plum to set a good amount of fruit. It is hardy to zone 3.

Origin

This tree was given to us as the variety "Foffonof - Homesteader", but it ended up to be something else! We think it is either a Fofonoff seedling or an American plum seedling.

It took 7 years, but this year I had 50 plums. Considering how big the tree is and how small the plums are that's a poor yield. But they tasted good, so that makes it is a keeper. I would guess it to be of Japanese heritage and not anything like our native plums.

So should I buy a real fofonoff?

Here is a description:

Fofonoff plum

(Zone 2, Japanese plum tree)

• Also called "Homesteader"
  • Pollinates well with other Japanese plums, wild plums and Toka plum
  • Very early flowering (one of the first to flower)
  • Very hardy, originally from Saskatchewan
  • Free core
  • Excellent flavor, to eat fresh and .

It's the early flowering that's got me. Fofonoff was developed in Northern Saskatchewan where the winters are long and steady. Will it flower too early in southern Alberta when we have a temporary warm up during the middle of winter?

Speculation: Is Hardygold similar to or the same as Sprott's sunshine? Are they both seedlings from fofonoff? I don't have sprott's sunshine so I am just throwing it out there for discussion.

Comment

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor