SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
socks12345

My bird was attacked by a hawk

socks
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My dove spends most days outside on the patio table in his cage. Today a hawk attacked him from outside his cage. He has a gash in his chest but is not bleeding any more. Not sure about his legs and don't want to handle him any more. I have a chance to be a walk-in tomorrow at a bird vet. Most vets don't see birds, and all vets in my area are totally booked. I've called about 10 vets. He's resting on the bottom of the cage; he moved to the corner by himself. He's inside now, and we have covered the cage. He's alert. I hope he will be ok. We've had him many years.

Comments (147)

• lily316
    3 years ago

Good to hear birdie is healing. He's a little trooper.

socks thanked lily316
  • socks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ann, that's a great idea. We should have done it sooner. We put newspaper in pretty thick so he cannot feel the wires in the cage bottom, but I'll see if I can find something softer. He's doing so well, starting to coo a little but it sounds weak.

• Related Discussions

Hawk photos in Bird watching forum

Q

Comments (1)
    Great shots. He may be drinking and bathing. Red tail hawks aren't agile enough to catch very many birds. they are more likely to dive onto bunnies and rodents.
    ...See More

I'm getting attacked by a Broad wing hawk

Q

Comments (9)
    Update on the two fledlings. They are doing well and pretty grown up. Parents are gone. They are still around my yard and get pretty excited when I mow the lawn. They usually find something that I disturb in the grass for them to eat. I decided to have some fun yesterday (too much time on my hands I guess) with them to get a closer look. I put a red hot dog on the lawn attached with fishing line far out in the back. No hooks by the way. I kept twitching it across the grass while they were perched above. You guessed it, one of them from high above dove down onto it where I could see it up close. He only ate a little of the dog though then took off. I did it again and the other one dove at it again. This hawk kept picking at the fishing line but didn't stay too long. I didn't have the camera handy, but what a sight to see it fold up its wings from high above to attack it. Oh, by the way, when I was about 12 yrs old,61 now, I used to have five of these Broad winged hawks as pets. I wish I could find the pic that was taken of me with one sitting on my shoulder. Thats it for now.
    ...See More

Please help, Hawk attacking my doves! please

Q

Comments (2)
    Plant some dense shrubs and trees, so they have somewhere to hide. Otherwise, you can't stop nature. The doves will breed through the spring and summer, increasing their numbers again. If they all bred and all survived with none more killed, you'd end up with first hundreds, and then thousands, of them. Nature finds its own balance. It may appear cruel, but it is natural. Resin
    ...See More

Hawk Eating Bird Seed and Suet With Other Birds

Q

Comments (6)
    No catherinet- I saw the hawk eat the bird food seed and suet. The brown area he is standing on is a pile of no mess bird seed with suet chunks. I trust my eyes but since it was so unusual I wanted to double check. The only thing the hawk was killing that morning was the bird seed.
    ...See More
  • Ninapearl
    3 years ago

so happy to see he is improving!!

socks thanked Ninapearl
  • jemdandy
    3 years ago

I am wondering how old is your bird? The life span of doves in the wild is about 1.5 years, however, death is most often by hazards and not old age. In captivity, life span can be up to 20 years.

socks thanked jemdandy
  • socks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We figure he's about 15 years old.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    3 years ago

He is so darling. I am wondering about having a solo dove. No criticism intended at all, but we often have wild doves around our yard , always in pairs, and think they mate for life. Do they make their human their mate? Hope your little guy is soon all healed.

socks thanked martinca_gw sunset zone 24
  • socks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

No offense taken, Martinca. I understand what you are saying, but I cannot consider a second bird. Of course it would be nice for him, but if he's 15 and another bird somewhat younger, I'll have birds until I go in the grave! Thank you for your thoughts.

• salonva
    3 years ago

Just checking back in- hoping the healing is going steadily along. Please update us when you can.

socks thanked salonva
  • SEA SEA
    3 years ago

I'm so glad for the update. I've been wondering how the sweetie is doing. I'm glad to see he's doing so well and seems to be on the way to many good days!

socks thanked SEA SEA
  • patriciae_gw
    3 years ago

I am so pleased to hear he is doing so well. I have wondered and did from what you wrote last want to assume he was healing. It does make my day.

socks thanked patriciae_gw
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    3 years ago

He's so pretty!

socks thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    3 years ago

I'm happy to hear this update too and amazed that he is so big seeing someone's hand there for perspective. He is a real beauty.

socks thanked murraysmom Zone 6a OH
  • blfenton
    3 years ago

What a pretty bird. I'm glad he's doing well.

socks thanked blfenton
  • anniesjacuzzi
    3 years ago

I am so happy also to hear and see how well he’s doing! How traumatic for both of you....you can finally breathe a sigh of relief...

socks thanked anniesjacuzzi
  • Elaine Ricci
    3 years ago

Best wishes for your pretty bird's continued success in recovery! 💙💙💙

socks thanked Elaine Ricci
  • lily316
    3 years ago

He's adorable. So glad he's well .

socks thanked lily316
  • yeonassky
    3 years ago

What a pretty guy so glad he's doing so well. Thanks for keeping us updated. Plus pictures and seeing him getting finger training, pretty cool.

socks thanked yeonassky
  • Ninapearl
    3 years ago

he's a real beauty! so happy to know he's recovering so well!

socks thanked Ninapearl
  • chisue
    3 years ago

HOORAY! If he was going to recover, I knew he'd do so for YOU!

Now...about a name...?

socks thanked chisue
  • socks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

He has been The Bird his whole life. The grandkids have named him a couple times but it never stuck. We tried calling him "Abracadabra" for a while since he was given to us by a professional magician, but that never "took" either. The Bird never "worked" in magic shows; he was an extra when given to us. Wanna name him, Sue?

• chisue
    3 years ago

"Survivor"? Actually, "Bird" is fine, as long as he's your only one. Oh, maybe "Charlie", for the famous musician, Charlie "Bird" Parker.

socks thanked chisue
  • bob_cville
    3 years ago

I remembered this post yesterday and realized I didn't check in to see how it turned out.

I think I mentioned here before that a fancy brown and white pigeon
    showed up at my barn this summer, and decided "I live here now" He's still here, and struts around and coos when people come into the barn. He'll even land on people's heads or on one of the horses backs. Or ride around on the roof of the golf cart, or once even on the back of a horse being longed in the riding ring.

Yesterday we had a scare where the bird decided to follow the golf cart from the barn toward the house, and some sort of hawk or falcon started coming after it in the air. Luckily the pigeon noticed the raptor fast approaching and took evasive maneuvers even doing a loop-de-loop, and after shaking the raptor, returned safely to the barn.

• blfenton
    3 years ago

So bob - Have you named the bird yet? I'm glad he's still safe. I don't even know what pigeons eat but assume he gets enough on farm.

• chisue
    3 years ago

I can think of a person who fools around all day and rides on golf carts. I could see naming a pigeon after him.

• bleusblue2
    3 years ago

chisue

I can think of a person who fools around all day and rides on golf carts. I could see naming a pigeon after him.

~~~~

my sympathy goes to the pigeon -- it deserves a lovelier name!

• socks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That's delightful, Bob. If there is any kind of grain around, the pigeon would probably like that. I hope he lives long and prospers.

The Bird is just fine, thank you. It took about 6 weeks to mostly full recovery. He had 3 injuries, the worst being his leg/foot. The foot would not open, so he basically tried to walk on the top of his ankle which wasn't working well. He stayed on the bottom of the cage for weeks, then graduated to being able to open the foot and stand on a perch. He didn't coo for weeks, but now he does. Who would think a hawk could do such damage from outside a cage with close wires?

Have fun with your new wild pet, Bob. Maybe a picture?

PS Must have been someone's pet to be so tame and friendly.

• sjerin
    3 years ago

Bob, what a delightful story! I'm so glad he escaped the hawk.

Socks, I'm so glad your bird healed well and coos once more.

• socks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Weather is nice today so I put the bird in his outside cage since I have to work in the garden and I am available to fight off any birds of prey! It’s only his second time outside. This is not the cage he was attacked in.

• lily316
    3 years ago

I love Bird!

socks thanked lily316
  • Embothrium
    3 years ago

I am available to fight off any birds of prey!

Only if you are standing right where they go at the instant they attack and are able to bat them away before they get to the dove. Otherwise, much more likely you hear something, look over and see the hawk fly off - same as before.

Adding more finely spaced wire mesh hawks cannot possibly reach through would be a lot more reliable.

socks thanked Embothrium
  • patriciae_gw
    3 years ago

I once lived in a house where the last people had a son who kept pigeons. Some of them returned to the house. And someone in Canada just abandoned their pigeons and people kept bringing them to our house because of the previous people. The neighbor's cat took care of the situation though sad for the pigeons. We had no cages to protect them. We had one nest and make babies. I have never seen anything so ugly in all my life as a baby pigeon. It looked for all the world like a giant fat toad with spikes. Bird is a very attractive sort of bird. Are dove babies ugly?

socks thanked patriciae_gw
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    3 years ago

Hawks are beautiful creatures, but they kill birds, carry off small animals (kitties and puppies). Coyotes got all our neighborhood cats. Very sad. I wish one would come back and get one or two of the 18 turkeys which were in my yard this morning. Messy things…yuck.

• socks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Judy, we have the same situation here, lots of coyotes, rarely see a cat. They are not just nocturnal either, they are out anytime. We added some extra wire fencing on top of our wall to keep coyotes out. My friend had to wait in her car at a stop sign while a coyote crossed in the crosswalk! Some look good, some don’t.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    3 years ago

Socks, Bird is just beautiful and I'm so glad he could make a comeback. I would think this cage would be safe for him. The wire seems close enough together to keep anything out. I hope he has many more years ahead of him.

socks thanked murraysmom Zone 6a OH
  • joyfulguy
    3 years ago

That sounds to me like a coo-l idea about naming the pigeon, chisue and bleusblue!

ole joyful

socks thanked joyfulguy
  • happy2b…gw
    3 years ago

I am happy both birds survived their encounters with the bad guys. Bob, your pigeon sounds like a character and smarty.

socks thanked happy2b…gw
  • bob_cville
    3 years ago

Although the bird here is a pigeon, we have named him "Dove Bar" because he is chocolate and vanilla in color.

socks thanked bob_cville
  • schoolhouse_gwagain
    3 years ago

LOL! Dove Bar IS quite the character. And pretty!

socks thanked schoolhouse_gwagain
  • socks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh my gosh! He’s so pretty, and goes inside too. Thanks, Bob.

• bob_cville
    3 years ago

The last picture is the tackroom of the barn. That's where he showed up back in the summer. He waddled in through the open door, and just stayed.

socks thanked bob_cville
  • chisue
    3 years ago

Nice to meet you, Dove Bar. You're pretty smart for a pigeon. There has to be plenty to eat where there are animals, front or back ends.

The pigeon on the horse reminds me of Perastroika In Paris, a recent good read (fairytale for adults).

socks thanked chisue
  • lily316
    3 years ago

Dove Bar is beautiful. I'd get a huge cage and keep her.

socks thanked lily316
  • Embothrium
    3 years ago

Parental species is called rock dove. So Dove Bar isn't completely inapt. And if it were brown with white spots it could even be called Rocky Road.

socks thanked Embothrium
  • SEA SEA
    3 years ago

Now I have to keep up with the lives and times of Bird AND Dovebar! Keep living the good life birds :^)

socks thanked SEA SEA
  • bob_cville
    3 years ago

Many here are content to have Dove Bar land on them, and even seem to enjoy it.

Here a horse vet who was visiting to examine one of the horses that boards here had help from Dove Bar.

For me it gets right into my phobia of flying things getting too close to me. Almost inevitably Dove Bar will come flying up behind me, intending to land on my head, and I will shriek in terror and drop to the ground, causing the bird to abort the landing attempt.

socks thanked bob_cville
  • socks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh Bob, you're no help!! That's so funny. Maybe you watched that Hitchcock bird movie at an impressionable age.

I think Dove Bar was sent to brighten your spirits.

• marilyn_c
    3 years ago

I enjoyed seeing pictures of Bird and Dove Bar. I rehabbed several pigeons and wrote about them in my Bayou Tales stories. One of them, named Hue, used to follow me all over the place. I had another one named Checkers that I found in a trash can at Lowe's. They had a trash can sitting out in the nursery section, and were cleaning up and dumping the sweepings into it. I glanced in and saw a live pigeon in it. She was covered in tar. Of course I took her home. I got most of it off of her, but her white, speckled black feathers were stained brown after that. A hawk got her.

socks thanked marilyn_c
  • blfenton
    3 years ago

Dove Bar is so pretty. And what a character! He must be a delight to have around.

• socks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Just this week our friend was watching a pigeon eating fallen olives on the ground, and as he watched, a hawk swooped down and picked up the pigeon. Pigeons must be easy prey.