SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmmm12cozone5

Last roses of the season

mmmm12COzone5
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We are expecting a hard freeze tonight and had a frost warning last night so I cut a bunch of roses for the house. The dish smells fantastic.

Top row is Winnipeg Parks, Parade Day, Winnipeg Parks

2nd row is Calico Gal, Golden Wings, Lady in Red, Winnipeg Parks

3rd row is Amiga Mia, Iceberg and then three Sally Holmes

4th row is Winnipeg Parks, Neil Diamond, Fred Loads and Winnipeg Parks

5th row is Sally Holmes, Amiga Mia, Winnipeg Parks, Sally Holmes and Golden Wings

6th sandwich row is Lady in Red and Calico Gal

7th (bottom row) is Iceberg, Winnipeg Parks and Lady in Red.

The Fairy didn't make the bowl.

But I did cut some for the house.

Comments (27)

• joeywyomingzone4
    3 years ago

They are all so beautiful!!! Thank you for sharing your pictures! I'm looking forward to hearing how they all winter for you :)

mmmm12COzone5 thanked joeywyomingzone4
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Joey,

There are a few with quite a large number of buds on them. Calico Gal, Winnipeg Parks and Parade Day come to mind so we will have to see if they get to bloom or get frozen.

• Related Discussions

Last of this seasons roses...

Q

Comments (5)
    Your beautiful roses make a lovely picture with the rose plates. Roses and porcelain were just made for each other Diane
    ...See More

Roses, bouquet, mantis for late Fall

Q

Comments (3)
    Beautiful blooms Kathy! I can't decide which one I like best! Boy, that mantid looks like she's about to pop. Guess she'll be laying her egg sack any time now, huh? I haven't seen any in my garden this yr. Bummer..
    ...See More

a last lone Lincoln

Q

Comments (1)
    sorry, it wouldn't post
    ...See More

What I added this season

Q

Comments (4)
    Ah, Firefighter grafted to Dr Huey is fairly common but to get it grafted on Fortuniana means haunting rose society raffles, meetings and auctions. Got mine for $25.00 at a rose auction but if you have access to fortuniana rootstock, you can graft your own with a little effort. I LOVE Ludwigs. I used to spend hours at Bakers and really was missing my nursery connection. Amazingly, the roses are among the cheaper in the city. Summer Winds is selling for about $35.00/5-gallon, Berridge's is $30.00/5-gallon and Ludwigs is about $25.00/2-gallon grow bag. They've got a good inventory of the old favorites but it's the new-to-the-US ones I'm interested in. I noticed a lot of dead and dying among the inventory and figure it's probably the shock of 90F temps on black plastic. While they are working in conjunction with a local farm, these roses are container-growns. The Dr Huey is planted in the bag, not the field, so it's a fast track to the nursery since there's no harvest, cold storage, etc.
    ...See More
  • strawchicago z5
    3 years ago

I love a bowl of flowers like that !! Neil Diamond as own-root shrank smaller and smaller after each winter ... it's the dryness of my zone 5 winter that kills roots. I killed it this spring since it's too tiny to bloom (the size of a marigold). I gave away my snow blower a long time ago. Last winter I shoveled snow ONLY ONCE for the entire winter. This summer is drier than normal and yesterday my 18-year old corkscrew willow cracked into half due to strong wind. Got a $900 estimate to remove that tree. If the rose park grew Austin roses earlier, I would had fallen in love with fragrant roses earlier and NOT planting these big trees.

Knock-outs are so boring and their monopoly squelches out the vast variety of wonderful roses that people miss out. If local stores had sold a vast variety of fragrant roses, I would had bought such instead of trees.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked strawchicago z5
  • Bc _zone10b
    3 years ago

Beautiful photos! Love the picture of The Fairy, looks great and like a bloom machine. The picture of them in the bowl is soothing, really nice color combinations.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked Bc _zone10b
  • seil zone 6b MI
    3 years ago

Sorry to see them end but they are lovely!

mmmm12COzone5 thanked seil zone 6b MI
  • SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    3 years ago

Lovely .. especially The Fairy in that vase!!

mmmm12COzone5 thanked SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
  • rosecanadian
    3 years ago

What a lovely arrangement of blooms!! Your Golden Wings bloom really stands out as extra beautiful!!

mmmm12COzone5 thanked rosecanadian
  • L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    3 years ago

Awesome

mmmm12COzone5 thanked L Clark (zone 4 WY)
  • Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    3 years ago

Love your dish of roses! What a great idea. You certainly won’t let them go to waste! I cut lots of roses this morning when a dry hot wind kicked up. The ones I didn’t get to were shriveled up when I got home from work.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

Just Charming! Especially love the vase as it really sets off the fairy.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks all for the comments!

Stephanie, we had the hot dry winds here last night. I'm glad I got the blooms inside. Red air days have been prevalent recently and look to be conntinuing since the hot dry air and high winds have been fanning the flames. Smells like a campfire outside.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Smells like a campfire outside...well that's pretty awful. Is your house safe?

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, we are safe, well out of the foothills and into the plains. However I was surprised to see people in the local neighborhoods discussing evacuation plans when the new Boulder fires popped up over the weekend. They are 35 miles away and with the high winds they worried they could get this far but I think it is highly unlikely. There is a break of open space without homes and trees at the edges of Boulder County.

Lots of people evacuated from the foothill areas Fort Collins to Boulder. Many of the properties have horses so the local rural properties are offering to house them since the fairgrounds and humane societies are full. Also we are getting alot of wildlife. Someone posted a mama bobcat and her kittens on our local trail which is really unusual. Especially for them to be out in the open and someone taking pictures of them.

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    3 years ago

The fires have been awful here, too. Literally 1/3 of the mountain west of me burned up. 180k acres. Decades of forest mismanagement are mostly to blame imo.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We are having this discussion on nextdoor right now. Everyone agrees that it is multi faceted. None of the language below is mine. All was posted with permission to share. I know this isn't rose related but our roses can't do well in the extreme heat and dryness we have all seen lately so I thought I'd share it.

You have:

· The lack of controlled burning/prescribed fire is directly responsible for the huge build-ups of flammable fuels.

· The end of maintaining fire breaks (roads) in forested areas leaves firefighters with inadequate access.

· The end of logging and good timber management as we used to know it is directly responsible for forests that are now tinderboxes.

vs

The Brazilian Amazon forest was on fire in 2019. It is again. Link: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/sep/09/amazon-fires-brazil-rainforest

The Australian Outback was on fire in 2019. It burned over 12 million acres, which is bigger than the state of Maryland. Link: https://abcnews.go.com/International/us-map-examine-scale-massive-australia-wildfires/story?id=68102703

These countries *do not* have the same policies or laws.

For the land management hypothesis to be supported,each of these countries would have to simultaneously had terrible land management policies that led to historically massive wildfires at the same time in very different places on the planet.

The land management hypothesis seems to not fit the data.

Now, there is a hypothesis that would explain what is occurring – and it is one that scientists posited in the 1950s (or 1896 if you want to give the Swedish scientist Svante Arrhenius credit) and predicted many of the events we see today.

In the last 150+ years, humans have released more Carbon Dioxide (and other greenhouse gases) than at any point in human history. We release Carbon Dioxide from burning things like oil, coal, and natural gas (which is dead organic matter that has Carbon as its core element). Link: https://ourworldindata.org/co2-and-other-greenhouse-gas-emissions

Carbon dioxide traps heat quite efficiently in comparison to things like nitrogen and oxygen, which make up the majority of the gases of our atmosphere.

The extra Carbon Dioxide in the atmosphere traps more heat.

Increased heat means our planet has more volatile *climate-driven* events.

One such volatile event is drought. Drought causes forests and other plants to dry out. These dried out plants become fuel for wildfires. The more fuel means more extensive and more extreme wildfires.

-----------------------------------------

There is a solution. We need to decrease our use of Carbon-based energy sources.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

mmmm - I'm glad you and your house/garden are safe. Thankfully people are thinking about livestock too. People are being generous with their space. :)

Very true...and with COVID, we've proved that we can reduce a lot of our energy use. We just have to have government buy-in.

L Clark - are you safe?

• joeywyomingzone4
    3 years ago

mmmm12 having been involved in land management responsibilities and careers for all of my adult life, in multiple countries, I can attest to the fact that there are actually terrible land management policies in place all over the world, and I'm surprised that there aren't more places going up in flames as a result. Any time you have people making decisions about how the land is allowed to be used from a distance, without the benefit of living in and experiencing the actual area, it is a recipe for disaster. It is heartbreaking for ranchers and farmers who have invested their lives and their health into maintaining the land and passing it down for the next generation (some places have been maintained beautifully for over a hundred years!) to have a yuppie in a suit come out and tell them that a computer model says they have to stop doing this that and the other, and then watch the land literally wither up and dry out and then go up in flames as a result because the computer model didn't take into account the data of certain weather patterns or the types of plants and trees that are native to the area or the soil type. I don't believe that the problem is that humans aren't doing enough, rather that the lives and livelihoods of millions of people and billions of animals are being used as an experiment to prove a hypothesis with not enough research of concrete facts behind it. I absolutely agree that we need to be doing more for conservation and that it is our collective responsibility as humans to manage resources wisely, and I have huge respect for anyone who wants to make that happen. I just have a differing perspective on how to make that happen. Hope that wasn't too distracting from the rose topic!

mmmm12COzone5 thanked joeywyomingzone4
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Joey, all input is welcome. I also wondered first about posting this on a rose forum but then I realized that most if not all of us in the west and maybe south are having trouble with the really high temperatures and drought so these issues do affect roses growing. I am very impressed with our local nextdoor community for discussing all sides of the issue.

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    3 years ago

I'm safe, yeah. I live in Laramie, which is not close to the trees. My family cabin was in danger, briefly, though. That sucked, but it's the risk you take having a cabin.

I'm not a believer in global warming. No recent weather event (last few decades) is particularly unusual even in very recent history. Climate is constantly changing. How did those dead trees get in northern Canada on the tundra that were exposed from recently melting ice? Take burn acreage, this year, which is supposedly bad, but is about a tenth of the worst years in the 1920s.

Plus nothing the USA does will amount to a hill of bean as far as CO2 is concerned, China is far and away the biggest producer and are on pace to grow CO2 emissions exponentially. Building literally dozens of coal power plants as we speak. India, too. Nothing we can do about it.It's all moot. So considering that, I'd prefer not to see the bird choppers (wind mills) everywhere.

But anyway, we should be good stewards of the land and strive to do our best to care for it! I'm 100% committed to that.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Winnipeg Parks is my new favorite rose. She decided to throw out a late season flush despite being subjected to freezing temperatures and winds that tossed our patio furniture.

3 years ago

I'm so happy your Rose's did well this season. You've really expanded and everything looks great!

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Vapor!

I think turning that bed into a rose bed has really worked out well. I am learning more about what I like in a rose.

Definitely one where the flowers have staying power. Some of my singles like Golden Wings and the now deceased Playboy have gorgeous flowers that only last a day. This creates more work with deadheading.

Surprisingly the miniatures are good as they do not get Japanese Beetles. But none of mine flowers as much as I'd like.

I love the stripes and more exotic colors but also some of the soft beautiful roses.

Also like the ones with different bloom forms along with the classic rose shape.

Still working on cane hardy but I'm going to try and be more selective on zones which is easier when you can't go to the green house and be seduced by all the pretty flowers.

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    3 years ago

Mmmmm if you like Winnipeg Parks, I bet you’d love Hope for Humanity. The blossoms last forever

3 years ago

Plus, it's such a gorgeous color! I admire every time I go to HCR. I don't believe it has any fragrance though if that matters.

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    3 years ago

Yes, no fragrance for Hope for Humanity, sadly.

Winnipeg Parks has a slight fragrance and really attractive foliage to boot. I planted a 5 gal Winnipeg Parks this summer and it's doing well. Just like mmmmmm, I love it!

I've got a little Morden Blush that I got from HCR that I planted this summer. It established well. I'm excited to see what it can do next year!

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

L Clark - Out of all of my hardy roses that I grew at my other house...Morden Blush is the one I miss the most!!