SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1lindsay_s

Rug size- interior designer input!

L S
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I have a living room that is 14’10” by 12’2”. I can’t buy an 11 x 14 rug because the long side of the room has a vent on one side of the floor that needs 11 inches to be clear. I am having a very difficult time finding a non-standard rug size (11x13 is probably the perfect size). I really want an Oriental or similar hand knotted rug and 9x12 is a common size. Can I place a 9x12 rug in that room where the 12 foot is oriented on the side of the room that’s 12’2” and the 9 foot is on the 14’10” side, or is that too weird? (This question assumes the 12 foot size on the rug is dead accurate so it fits in the room but feel free to tell me why this assumption is dumb).

All of the front legs of the furniture would be on the rug. The couch is 38 inches deep and the 2 chairs are 40 inches deep and they would be across from each other on the side of the room that’s 14’10”.

If you have stuck with me so far, bless you.

I could also buy an 11x14 and have the rug pulled to the end of the long side of the room (14’10” side) and the vent would nearly clear. The issue here is I think it would look weird even though you would have to look closely to see the rug isn’t centered because furniture would be on either side.

Comments (6)