SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kbuescher

Furniture layout in long, narrow living room

kbuescher
3 years ago

Do you have a better idea for a layout?

I‘m in the market for new seating and then rugs. Our living room is long and narrow, 29 x 12 (width varies a little). We are a family of 5. Therefore, lots of seating is necessary.

I borrowed furniture from other rooms to help me get a feel. I’m thinking a couch (one not as deep as the pic), loveseat (maybe a little shorter than the one in the pic), a smaller chair, and a rectangle ottoman to sit in front of the couch. Maybe a sofa table behind the loveseat? Does this seem like a lot of stuff in such a small area?

I have no useful idea of what to do with the second half of the room. I guess I will put a couple of wingbacks or slipper chairs. Or maybe a chaise in the corner near the gray fan. And the dog bed. Although I don’t foresee the chairs getting used. (Ignore the floating furniture that is there now. I’m waiting for muscles. The current chaise isn’t staying.)

Due to the narrowness of the room, I guess a couple of 8 x 10 rugs will work? The current rug, which is an 8 x 10, could be pulled out from under the furniture a little more.

I hope my pics are sufficient, but if I can improve upon them, please let me know.

Taken from the kitchen doorway

Taken by the recliner

Back half of the room

Back half of the room

Comments (27)