SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_sue

What is Your Favorite and Least Favorite Nut?

I told my daughter I heard cashews are good for you if you are depressed. She said, I'll order you some. I will do anything for a good nut! Ha, ha. What is your favorite nut? I like a lot of different ones. Growing up we had black walnuts and hickory nuts. I have black walnuts now and they are one of my favorites. My least favorite is pistachio. What is your favorite and least favorite? My cashews are to arrive today!

Sue

Comments (90)

• 3 years ago

Alisande, that’s so funny! 😂

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Jilly
  • 3 years ago

My favorites are pecans and cashews. (@Alisande, Trader Joes has raw cashews as well as roasted ones. I like the raw ones for using in stir fries.) Pistachios high on my list too. I love almond flavor including frangipane and marzipan but the texture of almonds is too hard in some contexts so I'd rather have pecans or walnuts in my muffins or quick bread. Almonds are fine in biscotti.

Least favorite is hazelnut and maybe Brazil. If peanuts count, I'm not a fan of them in most things though I do occasionally like peanut butter. I think my aversion to peanuts is due getting tired of an overused flavor rather than something basically wrong with the flavor so they are fine as long as I don't get them too often.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Cloud Swift
  • Related Discussions

What's your favorite/leasts favorite seed to harvest?

Q

Comments (5)
    I put moss rose in the zip lock bag, close it and give it a few shakes, seeds fall to the bottom. Milkweed can be tricky, I pick up the pod with seeds holding them both together, then place inside the baggie, hold the seeds and pull them off the "silky stuff" before it unfolds and flies all over. I used to open each of the white seed pods of Night Blooming Jasmine to get the black seeds , but have been told it is best to let the pods with seeds dry out naturally. Easy to germinate no matter. Trying to think if there are any sticky ouchy seeds to gather, nope...Guess I don't grow it if it isn't easy. later Bea
    ...See More

Your favorite and least favorite garden chore

Q

Comments (20)
    I guess it depends on when you ask. [g] As others have pointed out, in the spring, very little seems like a chore. When it's hot, staying inside in the A/C is where I want to be. As long as I pace myself and keep doing a little bit every day, most jobs are a pleasant distraction. I don't mind digging and planting and I enjoy watering by hand, and deadheading up to a point. For some odd reason, I don't want to fertilize. I find that tedious, I don't know why. And I don't look forward to 'bug patrol'. Actually, right now is not a good time to answer that question either because by July, I am ready for a break from gardening. I seem to be out there focused and intense, putting in a lot of time in Apr/May/June and my goal is always to have the yard 'ready' for the summer by Memorial Day, which never happens. [g] I want to have just routine maintenance to do and just enjoy the garden during the hot weather. Then when it gets cooler in the fall, I am ready to start a few projects.
    ...See More

What is your favorite and least favorite flower to grow?

Q

Comments (9)
    mla20fus, my favorite flowers are perennials, so I don't have to plant them every year. I also love Holihocks, (sorry, every plant needs loved by someone :),especially by an old outhouse or shed. I plant very few annuals, but I truely love breadseed poppy, especially the bright red ones. They bloom with the Shasta Daisy and really make a show. The daisies were all volunteer, but now that I know how they look with my poppies, they can stay. I also plant gypsoia (sp?) and moss rose every year, they too are worth the effort. Are your fall Asters the deep purple ones?
    ...See More

What is YOUR Favorite (and least favorite) Lettuce?

Q

Comments (8)
    I'm growing greens in large stock tanks this year on a deck, so can get some free from slug and vole predations for the first time. The lettuces are perhaps too crowded to form big heads, the arugula and the baby bok choy is bolting. An unusual green I'm enjoying is Brassica juncea, Ruby Streak and Golden Frill, from Evergreen seeds. The Ruby Streak is bolting, but the Golden Frill is larger and not bolting yet. It is making long leaves with lots of frill, finely divided, so it is quite crisp, yet still tender. I'm going to have to keep trying on the lettuce. I've found that some greens like Wild Red Kale, and turnips left in the ground for spring greens, need to be planted by July 15 in order to get large enough to make it through the winter. I had some excellent bok choy one year planted in the fall, but can't seem to duplicate it. It won't make it during the winter, though. A wild green I enjoyed up until frost last year and in early spring this year is Sheep Sorrel, for a sour lemony taste.
    ...See More
  • 3 years ago

Just a comment about brazil nuts they increase the richness in brownies. My mother shaved thin slices from the nuts but grinding to a paste should also work. She just added however many she wanted to a package of brownie mix.

I prefer pistachios but the ones from New Mexico not the ones commonly sold raised in California. They remind me of the flavor that the ones that were imported from Iran during my childhood.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked maifleur03
  • 3 years ago

Technically, peanuts are not nuts at all. They are a legume, like peas, beans or lentils. They just happen to grow underground.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • 3 years ago

I like all nuts except peanuts

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked krystalmoon2009
  • 3 years ago

I don't eat peanut butter, but love peanuts. All nuts really and even keep pine nuts here for recipes which I think are really seeds. I rarely buy hazelnuts, and find Brazil nuts a little too much work to bother with that cement-like shell but other than that....bring on the nuts. Whether for cooking or snacking.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • 3 years ago

Love them. Now I need a jar of nuts!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Angela Id
  • 3 years ago

Favorite(s) Walnut, Pecan, Almond

Least favorite(s) Pine Nut, Pistacio, Brazil

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked hounds_x_two
  • 3 years ago

favorite - cashew

least fav - coconut. If that doesn't count, then almonds.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
  • 3 years ago

I'm addicted to pistachios. I like most nuts. Brazil nuts - blech.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked sephia_wa
  • 3 years ago

Walnuts, almonds, pistachios, peanuts, spanish nuts, i could eat all the time. also love pumpkin and sunflower seeds

least fav. cashews and pecans.

i have to try and find black walnuts, never had them.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked sprtphntc7a
  • 3 years ago

Favorite nut is my DH. He's a hoot. Least favorite is wing nut. I have the hardest time with them and usually hurt my fingers.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked dees_1
  • 3 years ago

I can't think of a nut I DON'T like. Cashews and macadamia nuts are tied for first. I'd say Brazil nuts would be my least favorite. When DH needs dessert and neigh of us has made one, he'll settle for ice cream and bring me a very small bowl of cashews. He knows well.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked donna_loomis
  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

An earlier comment reminded me of something. I'd never heard of or had boiled peanuts before. Just a few years ago, on a visit to Birmingham, a local suggested I might enjoy going to a small retro peanut store that's in an old building in the downtown area. So I went.

The containers of boiled peanuts on display caught my eye and I bought some. I sampled them them a few different times and couldn't warm up to them. I wound up tossing the container. I for sure prefer roasted peanuts, and the dry roasted variety, as before, are the way I like them best.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • 3 years ago

I'm exactly the same as Lukki Irish, who said "It’s hard to pick a favorite, I love cashews, pecans, pistashios and macadamia but I don’t care for brazil nuts at all." except, (like functionthenlook) I'd include chestnuts as ones I don't care for either.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked amicus
  • 3 years ago

Hazelnuts are probably my favorite. I can't think of any I don't like.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Kathsgrdn
  • 3 years ago

Favorite: pistachios

Least favorite: ????

agmss15, we did the same as Rusty for the black walnuts. Lay them in the driveway and run over them with the car. I think they have to dry out some before you crack them. If the squirrels don't get them first!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked abbisgram
  • 3 years ago

I'm sure I haven't tried every nut there is, but I'd say...

favorite: cashews least liked: Brazil nuts - have a strange taste to me.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked sandyslopes z6 n. UT
  • 3 years ago

My favourite is a filbert. Least favourite are peanuts since I have a sensitivity to them and can't eat them. Not a fan of pecans either, I might have a sensitivity to them too because my skin gets itchy after I eat them. I think my next favourite would be a Brazil nut if they were more available and easier to get out of the shell.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Cherryfizz
  • 3 years ago

My DH considers cracking walnuts to be a sport. We can easily find black walnuts growing along roads throughout the countryside. Most people do not bother with them. I think that they are an acquired taste, that I have never acquired!

Yes, he also drives over them once the outer hull has dried up a bit. They are then picked up while wearing old gloves due to the staining that they cause. It takes weeks for it to wear off your hands.

The final step requires a hammer and a big solid rock. Let the cracking begin. A nut pick will allow you to extract pieces from the shattered shell (he has not perfected the art).

We had a small grove of black walnut trees at our first home ( in the country) , and we gave many of them to an elderly farm couple who spent a lot of time extracting the meat to sell at the local farmers’ market. Bags of black walnut pieces are a hot commodity for holiday baking.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • 3 years ago

My black walnuts are falling. The squirrels are busy. I need to try and get some picked up as I really do like them too. My Cannister of Happiness arrived in the mail yesterday!

Sue

• 3 years ago

Black walnuts can be difficult to find in stores. I find them at Kroger and at a Texas supermarket chain, HEB, around Christmas time. You can also find them on Amazon.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked marilyn_c
  • 3 years ago

I got a can of mixed nuts yesterday, because of this thread. I couldn’t stop thinking about them. Of course, it’s mainly peanuts, even after the label said otherwise. 😢

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Jilly
  • 3 years ago

my least favorite nut was the bowl of nuts my grandmother had ... she'd suck the chocolate off and put the nut in the bowl ...

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • 3 years ago

Ewwwwwww, bragu!

Pecans are my go-to nut now-a-days, but my favorites (unattainable) were butternuts and hickory nuts. But then, I seem to remember my mother getting after me for eating all the Brazil Nuts out of the bowl.

My absolute least favorite are Hazelnuts/ Filberts. I avoid that flavor as much as I do Chamomile anything.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked CA Kate z9
  • 3 years ago

There are several hickory trees within a block or two of my house, but I have yet to succeed in getting one to try - the squirrels are on them as soon as they fall, it seems. The outer shells litter the sidewalk and street.

There are companies that will buy backyard black walnuts. I think most people with the trees don't know this (some actually don't know that they are edible.)

I think the only time that I've ever had macadamia was in a macadamia-pineapple cake - that was scrumptious.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • 3 years ago

I like cashew nut the most. It is abundantly available in Kerala which is a state in India, that's where I live. We have cashew trees at home. The cashew apple are red in colour when ripe and we also eat it and use them in curries. My mouth is watering thinking of it. I will give the photo for those who haven't seen cashew apples

The nut I absolutely hate is walnuts. I have only eaten it twice. I hate the bitter and tangy taste of walnuts and it is not grown where I live but it is available in supermarkets.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked diyaj7
  • 3 years ago

I don't care for chestnuts--or didn't when I tried them as a child, and haven't tried them since. All other nuts, I love, especially cashews. The best brownies and fudge are made with black walnuts. Our locally owned feed/farm store buys walnuts every fall--2017 was a bumper crop here for black walnuts, so elder GS and I gathered several bushels. We have walnuts in the driveway to be hulled, but they are so time consuming to crack, I don't know if we'll bother.

I can remember cracking hickory nuts for cookies, when I was a child, using a large needle to extract the meats. It's been years since I had a hickory nut. I have a hazelnut bush beside the (now defunct) pump house, but the worms always seem to beat us to the nuts.

This thread has inspired me to open a fresh bag of mixed nuts. :)

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • 3 years ago

I like all nuts, pine nuts would be #1 for me.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • 3 years ago

I love all nuts, but hazelnuts are my favorite, especially if they are chocolate covered. Least would be pistachios, though I’ll eat them if they are around.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked kadefol
  • 3 years ago

Not almonds anymore. I broke a tooth off eating a KIND bar with almonds last week.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked lily316
  • 3 years ago

My favorite was pistachio. Unfortunately I can no longer eat them, or several other varieties of nuts. Severe gastrointestinal distress.

Ditto pine nuts... can't eat them anymore either. And I liked them on salads (seeds make a good substitute).

My least favorite is hazelnut. They stench bad and taste worse. I have no idea if my gastrointestinal difficulties extend to them and don't find it remotely worth finding out.

I would like to find out if I can still eat chestnuts. They're seasonal around here. I've never remembered to look for them in December. But I liked those.

(I can still eat almonds, which are okay... I like their flavor, but when they are still chunks they just taste like flavorless chunks - they need to be pulverized or extracted. )

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked artemis_ma
  • 3 years ago

Late to the thread, but I love Marcona almonds. I also really like pistachios, and there are several farm stands that sell these. I like almonds in general, and even Macadamias (but mostly, in chocolate).

My least favorite are Brazils, just after chestnuts. If I have a jar of mixed nuts I tend myself to avoid the Brazils -- and we end up throwing away the balance. I can't say I am a fan of cashews as a toasted nut, but in salads and dishes they are fine. These three nuts are not much improved by a chocolate coating, which is saying something.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Gooster
  • last month
    last modified: last month

Macadamia (from Hawaii) are the best, but also love Pistachio, Cashews, peanuts, Brazil, and Almonds.

• last month

Love pistachios best of all. Just cannot get past the texture of a Brazil nut. Ick

• last month

I've never been hugely fond of nuts and now that my teeth are getting old, they don't care for them much either :-) I do use them cooking but finely chopped and almost exclusively pecans. And I sometimes use chopped cashews and peanuts when I make Asian foods. I don't care for anything almond or almond flavored and I don't like macadamia nuts. I used to pick them out of the Mrs. Fields cookies even when my teeth were in their younger days. Nasty things!

I do like chestnuts.

• last month

I like most nuts but the ones I buy most often are cashews, almonds and pistachios. Least favorite are Brazil nuts. I really like pecans and walnuts too and will double the amount in cookies recipes.

• last month

I forgot about this thread, and I never said what my favorite is, which is filberts/hazel nuts, although I do not buy them as often as I do cashews and almonds. I also like pecans (pronounced puh CAHN), and my parents had a very large pecan orchard that my great grandfather planted. He also planted trees around the house where I grew up, but there was a different house there then. He did a lot of grafting of pecans and also grafted some English walnut branches onto a black walnut tree in the back yard. I do not especially like black walnuts, but I do use them in some recipes, and so I am one of those people who neither love them or hate them.

I also like pistachios, and to reply to Elmer, the pistachio groves I saw on Hwy 101 were in southern Monterey County. The fields had signs identifying the groves, but we did not stop to buy any. I'm very familiar with what pistachio trees look like, in the right season.

It's hard for me to buy pecans even though I love them because I have been so used to getting them for free, and they seem a bit expensive.

I do not consider peanuts to be nuts, but they would be the bottom of my list. I refuse to buy mixed nuts that have peanuts.

When I make Chinese style stir-fries, I use cashews instead of peanuts, if I use any nuts at all. I also never use peanut oil, as it tastes too much like peanuts to me - it definitely is not a neutral oil, although some people say it is. I taste the peanut, whether they do or not.

• last month

I love all nuts. I probably eat (cover your eyes, Lars) peanuts the most. I buy bags of roasted, unsalted in the shell.

• last month

I think my fave is toasted pine nuts (unless they are considered a seed? The thread was too long for me to read right now). I do also like Brazil nuts, macadamia nuts, nicely toasted almonds, cashews, and thank you George Washington Carver, the peanut. I don’t think I’ve ever had a chestnut.

• last month

I don't think I've ever had chestnuts either, except for water chestnuts. Do they taste the same?

I do eat peanuts when they are in candy bars and like them in that, but I really prefer Snickers with almonds over the ones with peanuts.

I've never seen a chestnut tree that I know of.

• last month

Note, it's an old thread.

• last month

Most nuts are seeds.

• last month

Note, it's an old thread.

But doesn't appear to be a spammer who revitalized it, so all is cool.

• last month

Nice to see Marilyn Sue's name here -- and many others, too. A trip down Memory Lane.

When I think of 'nut', I remember DH's story about the day his air force medical reserve unit visited a mental hospital.

They wrapped up the hospital stuff, then were asked to socialize with some of the patients. One airman was playing a word game with a patient, where you say a word and the other person responds with the overall term.

The patient read off "Cashew". The airman called out "Nut" -- and the patient socked him.

• last month

I'm glad someone revived it because I did not read all the comments the first time around.

• last month

Water chestnuts are not nuts but the edible corm of a water dwelling sedge or grass and taste nothing like a real chestnut, which need to be cooked before use. Chestnut trees do grow in CA, get quite large with wide spreading canopies but are not very noticeable aside from their long white flower spikes in late spring or early summer. The Asian or European varieties of chestnut are most often the types found for sale as nuts. American chestnuts are much smaller and less tasty.

• last month

Just thinking about what things were like 3 years ago - early 2021...

• last month

Lars I hope you get to try true chestnuts. They are a pain to shell but then the delicious flesh can be used in many ways.

Using them for savoury dishes including chestnut soup and chestnut stuffing for chicken.

Using them for sweets is my favourite and are mainly French based. With sweets you can use the cans of slightly sweetened puree… French Imported are the best. There is Mont Blanc which is a delicious slightly sweetened chestnut puree formed like vermicelli. Also chestnut mousse. My favourite are the Marron Glace - candied chestnuts. The imported from France boxed ones are better than the ones in a jar.

Also adding that you can buy Unsweetened cans of chestnut puree as well and the trick is to read the french label and not buy the wrong one. Hah! ask me how I know.

• last month

Haven't been able to buy decent fresh chestnuts for years now, but Trader Joe's sells roasted & peeled organic ones in their produce case during the holiday season. I try to buy extra & store in the freezer.