SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_531613192

Removing Exterior concrete block wall

HU-531613192
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I hired a designer (retired architect) to design a kitchen addition. This included removing a 8’ of an exterior concrete block wall (The brown section.) In its place there would be some above ceiling support and 2 2“x12” LVL beams. This plan was sealed by a structural engineer and approved by the city. Somewhere during the building process, the builder realized that this wall had a lentil that runs the perimeter of the house. They realized that the lintel needed to stay and then used 1 - 2”x12” LVL beam. The contractor called the engineer and asked if this would work. Based on the conversation between the contractor, the building was changed. The City approved revised drawings but the drawings did not consist of the lentil beam and support beam changing. Instead of a 12” beam I now have a 30” beam. because the engineering wasnt changed, I am wondering if this can cause added stress to the rest of the house. Or should the engineer have done more calculations to determine what was needed?

Comments (2)