SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anne_blackstockbernstein

Help! Ideas for trim around brick fireplace and wooden beams?

My new home has a huge (double) brick fireplace and hearth that is the centerpiece of the house--the entryway, living room, and dining room all circle around it. The previous owners installed trim that is meant to match the oak hardwood floors, but I don't like it. I'm wondering what my alternatives are. I wish I could avoid using trim at all so I could have a clean line between the floor and fireplace, but is the space between the bricks too wide? Would a quarter round look less noticeable than the existing trim?

There are also 3 vertical wooden beams that have the same trim at the floor, even though the beams are much darker. Could I remove this trim entirely? Or replace it with something different? Would it look strange to have a different trim just around the beams (smaller, stained a different color, etc.)?

This is my first home, so I'm really new at this...any advice is appreciated! In an ideal world, I'd replace all the trim in the house, since I don't like the way it looks, but that seems like an awfully big project that I don't think I'm up for.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio