vote buying anyone???

Annie Deighnaugh

Less than a month away from the November election, Trump administration officials are reportedly rushing to implement the president's recent proposal to send $200 prescription drug discount cards to nearly 40 million Medicare recipients—an $8 billion plan that would be financed by dipping into the Medicare trust fund. source

I guess he's got to do something to try to win the elderly back after throwing them all under the covid bus: “It affects elderly people, elderly people with heart problems and other problems. That’s what it really affects,” the president said. “In some states, thousands of people — nobody young. Below the age of 18, like, nobody. They have a strong immune system, who knows? Take your hat off to the young, because they have a hell of an immune system. But it affects virtually nobody. It’s an amazing thing.” Source of quote: WaPo

SaveComment36Like1
Comments (36)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Joaniepoanie

Too bad $200 isn’t nearly enough to buy the Regeneron cocktail or Remdesevir that he got for free.

4 Likes Save    
graywings123(7)

Oh, didn't you hear, Joanie? President Trump promised to give Regeneron's drug, REGN-COV2, free to all seniors immediately. He said it while standing on the White House lawn on Thursday.

Of course he also promised a wonderful health care plan a couple months ago and that has never materialized.

4 Likes Save    
Nana H

A fairly obvious ploy. Can you imagine if Obama pulled this trick? RW heads would be exploding.

Seems to be that many more seniors than not would be ticked off by this move, Democrats, the fiscally responsible and I would think the seniors who pay for supplemental insurance to cover their drugs. Wonder if it is income based, that will send the "no spending my money on others" crowd over the edge!

3 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Sorry I cannot even begin to imagine President Obama doing something that dumb and meaningless.

As if a paltry, one time gesture of $200 is enough to counter the loss of comprehensive health care coverage?

7 Likes Save    
lurker111

I thought you were talking about that crat with something like 160 federal crimes for voter fraud. Funny.

Obama caused millions to lose their good insurance.

No one has lost their insurance because of Trump. What are you talking about?

that will send the "no spending my money on others" crowd over the edge!

That's an imaginary group.

Save    
Ann

This is bad, why? I think Medicare recipients will find $200 quite useful to cover drug costs, copays and tier payments not covered by Part D or Part C.

This quote below makes no sense at all, but understandable from someone who has never looked into Medicare, Part D, Part C and the various options within those. Canada is certainly more - one size fits all and citizens can't handle the oh so difficult decisions of personal choice. I especially love the end of the sentence beginning with "Democrats", lol:)

"Seems to be that many more seniors than not would be ticked off by this move, Democrats, the fiscally responsible and I would think the seniors who pay for supplemental insurance to cover their drugs."

Save    
Ann

"As if a paltry, one time gesture of $200 is enough to counter the loss of comprehensive health care coverage?"

Medicare enrollees are going to lose comprehensive health care coverage? Since when and under whose plan? In other words, what the heck are you talking about?

1 Like Save    
Nana H

My comments were related to the reaction to the POLITICAL move of sending cheques. Also notice I said " more seniors than not would be ticked off by this move" . In other words a majority , NOT all. I also said it was my opinion (seems to me) not a fact.

Politically, many Democratic Seniors won't like it.

Politically, many those who favour fiscal conservatism won't like it.

Politically, many of those who pay for their prescription coverage, in whole or in part, won't like it.

My observations had NOTHING to do with Medicare per se so your incorrect assumption that I have never looked into Medicare is both untrue and irrelevant.

3 Likes Save    
MSRED Byrd(ZONE 8)

I thought you were talking about all those in PR moving to PA so donnie could win there.

Save    
Kathy

Instead of lowering drug prices, which Trump lied and claimed he did, he wants to send out a useless check to pay a one time $200. Just like he wants to send out a $2000 check with his name instead of a package to help the economy. What a scam!

1 Like Save    
eageree

This $200 will mean nothing to those Medicare recipients whose medications are tier 1 and are available from mail order pharmacy at no cost.

Save    
Ann

"Politically, many of those who pay for their prescription coverage, in whole or in part, won't like it."

This quote makes no sense either. There isn't an option to pay "part" of Part D or Advantage premiums/coverage. 42+ million Medicare recipients opt to have Part D or coverage as part of Part C. Maybe you're trying to say some Part D/C plans pay prescription costs "in whole" as in 100% of any and all potential prescriptions. I'm not aware of any.

Again, this $200 is bad, why?

Save    
eageree

Are you saying there aren't any Part D plans that pay prescription cost in full?

If a Medicare recipient's prescriptions are tier 1 and they choose a Part D plan wisely, their prescriptions are paid in full

Save    
arcy_gw

You mean unlike the Harris promises of forgiving collage debt and $2000 stimulus all paid for by taxing the rich? LOL Kill all future tax payers, penalize those that MAKE the money, and incentivize the working class to not. GREAT PLAN. hahahahahha

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Ann, once again..... my post has nothing to do with Medicare....nothing ....so I wasn't trying to describe any plans available through Medicare.

The "full, or in part" refers to various options that seniors may choose for their prescription coverage. I recall information posted here by someone who had very high prescription costs saying that you could pay for supplemental private insurance outside of Medicare ( private insurance or through a pension plan) to cover the portion Medicare doesn't cover.

If that is not correct it is too bad that there are limitations on American citizens that they can't pay for supplemental insurance outside of their Medicare plans and must pay out of pocket for the part Medicare doesn't cover or for drugs Medicare doesn't cover.

ETA perhaps asking for clarification or saying you don't understand what I am getting at would be less aggressive than saying what I posted "makes no sense". Just because you don't understand doesn't mean it makes no sense.

Save    
Nana H

"Again, this $200 is bad, why?"

Is this question addressed to me? If so, I don't have an opinion on whether it is good or bad. I simply offered an opinion on why this may not be well accepted politically by American seniors..

Save    
Kathy

Why doesn’t the admin spend 6.6B fighting to lower drug costs than sending money to every American?

Save    

Certainly $200 would be welcomed by most people, but not in place of actual health care coverage.

Health care costs just keep rising. $200 is a mere drop in the bucket for many folks on or off Medicare.

From the OP:

"...an $8 billion plan that would be financed by dipping into the Medicare trust fund."

And from the linked article:

"...The plan would cost $7.9 billion, according to Politico, with $19 million going toward letters touting the initiative, which advocacy groups and Democratic lawmakers are denouncing as an obvious and potentially unlawful campaign ploy that would provide little relief for the millions impacted by obscenely high drug prices...."

IMPO, if you're going to opine on a topic, it's a good idea to actually read the info.

Save    
chisue

Some evidently have no idea of how few *maintenance* meds a senior requires that fall into Tier 1. One of mine (Advair) retails for over $600. Glaxo bought the patent on one of the two cheap ingredients in it over twenty years ago. No R & D there; no 'improvements' either; just the juicy profits from steady price increases for decades.

Canadians get Advair for $40.

Save    
eageree

Chisue - Not sure if your comment is directed at me. In this household of seniors our maintenance drugs are all Tier 1. With our part D plan, a tier 2 is a $3-10 copay, tier 3 is $38-43 (Advair is in this Tier).

I won't deny that there are Medicare recipients who will appreciate the $200 but it seems a waste of money to send to all. Perhaps starting with a test group to see how many would use it would have been wiser way of spending billions. Just think there is a much better way of spending that money and why a few weeks before a presidential election?

Save    
bfox254

It's simply a political stunt. Trump is panicking because he's losing seniors in droves. From what i read, most seniors will be receivig a letter by election day telling them they will receive a $200 prescription drug card at a later date. First, seniors as a whole are not nearly as gullible as Trump seems to think. Second, the odds are good that these cards will never materialize after the election, especially if he loses.

3 Likes Save    

No kidding!

FWIW, every 6 weeks, to keep from going blind, my mom gets shots in her eyes that cost thousands, she pays a bit under $400 out of pocket at the beginning of the year and then the rest is covered by Medicare and a grant. That's only one item out of the amount of health care she gets throughout the rest of the year.

Save    
Kathy

$200 is a blatant ploy to buy votes right before the election. Trump had 3 1/2years to lower prescription drug prices. His talk has accomplished nothing. Now he is peddling another drug for his friend.

3 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

The problem is that these $200 checks come with trump's name on them, so it's essentially using tax payer money for campaigning. Far different from policy proposals by a candidate which would then have to pass congressional muster before it could be accomplished.

2 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

I am wondering what I would use it for since at the moment I am not on any prescription medication and DH's one med runs maybe twenty five bucks a year. Can I give it to someone else?

Save    
Ann

"Are you saying there aren't any Part D plans that pay prescription cost in full?

If a Medicare recipient's prescriptions are tier 1 and they choose a Part D plan wisely, their prescriptions are paid in full."

Yes, that's what I'm saying. I'm not aware of any Part D plans that pay every potential prescription in full. I'm not talking about the fact that someone may personally have only tier 1 prescriptions in any given year. Like a person with no drug needs at all in a given year, they may not pay anything above their premiums for that year. But, if that person suddenly had a different drug need (maybe needed designer chemo drugs), that would not likely be tier 1 and they would not be covered at 100%. Many a potential drug that any person could need would fall outside of that tier one category. I'm thinking the Part D drug plans have something like 5 different tiers of drug categories, each tier paying a smaller percentage of the drug cost than for the drugs in the tier below that, with a donut hole calculation entering at some point. Am I incorrect? Are you aware of any Part D plans that cover any potential prescription at 100%? Even if you don't personally have such a Part D plan, are you aware of any where every potential drug is tier one?

But, if what you are saying is that you have no prescriptions outside of tier 1 at present, wonderful! Hopefully, that will remain true for you in 2021 and in years thereafter.

Save    

Was just listening to Andy Slavitt explain that many folks may not realize that the ACA also saves Medicare patients - on average - about $1K per year, and that if these guys manage to overturn it, that goes away and the drug companies will be pocketing a lot more money.

https://www.lemonadamedia.com/podcast/update-on-trumps-health-and-ours/

"... There are elements of the ACA that sometimes people forget are part of the Affordable Care Act. And I want to start with one of them, which is the impact on seniors. Seniors have about $1,000 savings by the closure of the donut hole that would go away if the ACA goes away. And the reason I want to start with this one is because I want people to understand the mechanics, not only with seniors costs going up $1,000 dollars, but pharma companies would receive $3.5 billion dollars of tax cuts at the same time. And President Trump has already diminished the life of the Medicare trust fund by two years. In other words, it now expires or becomes insolvent during his presidency. ...

... It’s an interesting statistic, the top zero point one percent would receive a $200,000 annual tax cut if the ACA goes away. So if people are out there kind of wondering, well, why would Trump be so insistent on getting rid of something which clearly is massively popular? And he’s pretending to support its features. Why would he do that? And one answer is that the super wealthy essentially would, by shrinking the care that goes to people who are wary of expanded Medicaid coverage and subsidies to the Affordable Care Act, take all that money away, all the money that goes to the seniors, and it goes basically in the pockets of extremely wealthy people...."

Save    
studio10001

Surprised to hear a fellow conservative give a thumbs up to treating the fund like a candy jar.

3 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Doesn't matter studio...so long as it's trump's doing, it's the best thing ever!

Save    
studio10001

I don't worry too much. I figure conservatisim will return in capital letters once Joe enters the White House. :)

2 Likes Save    
Save    
Kathy

Over 6.6 Billion sent out as a political bribe because this administration hasn’t done anything beneficial for healthcare and they have no plan.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I don't worry too much. I figure conservatisim will return in capital letters once Joe enters the White House. :)

Well one thing we know for sure will return when Joe enters the WH is that the president will be held to account by the gop. If Joe misspells his name on his income tax form, they'll want to throw him in jail...

3 Likes Save    
foodonastump

HHS lawyer: Trump’s drug cards could violate election law

The health department’s top lawyer is warning in an internal memo that President Donald Trump's plan to give seniors $200 discount cards to buy prescription drugs could violate election law, according to three officials with knowledge of those legal concerns.

The lawyer’s objection, coupled with his advice to seek approval from the Department of Justice, is a significant blow to Trump’s hope to promote the hastily devised plan before Election Day.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/16/hhs-lawyer-trump-drug-cards-election-law-429989

1 Like Save    
kadefol

Why is he allowed to dip into the medicare trust fund for this? That is meant to pay for actual bills and prescriptions, not for some random BS he has cooked up in an effort to buy back seniors.

Save    

We'll see what happens, won't we?

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design A Cook’s 6 Tips for Buying Kitchen Appliances
An avid home chef answers tricky questions about choosing the right oven, stovetop, vent hood and more
Full Story
Furniture Things You Need to Know About Buying a Sofa
Learn about foam versus feathers, seat depth, springs, fabric and more for a couch that will work for years to come
Full Story
Kitchen Design The Cure for Houzz Envy: Kitchen Touches Anyone Can Do
Take your kitchen up a notch even if it will never reach top-of-the-line, with these cheap and easy decorating ideas
Full Story
A beautifully designed space not only has function, but creates a mood or feeling that shows the personality of... Read More
With over 10 years of experience, Eco-Nize Closets is a local, family-owned business that designs & installs... Read More