SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brit_kearns

How much would it cost to add a room over this garage?

Brit Kearns
3 years ago

Looking at a new construction home by a custom builder, and we’re considering buying it, but the square footage is a little on the low side for us. We would prefer it to have another room for a playroom/office space. We contacted the builder who has the finished house listed for sale to see if it had a room over the garage, since it looks like it definitely could, but he confirmed it does not. No stairs other than a standard attic pull-down. He said it would “need to be reengineered upstairs to achieve additional living space.” My question is, how much would it cost to do something like that for this house? Looking at the exterior, it seems like there would be plenty of room above the garage and adjacent bedroom to put a room, even if it’s oddly shaped. I’m sure we could shave off some room somewhere downstairs to put a staircase, too. I know a lot is involved with converting an attic floor/garage ceiling to something that can support another room, but how much should I expect something like this to cost? Just a bonus room, no closet or bathroom. No plumbing needed.

Comments (9)