SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jordan_swogger

Can LED "canless" recessed lighting be used directly on drop ceiling?

Jordan Swogger
3 years ago

Hello all, I'm new here to houzz, having used it for the past few months on a casual basis to browse and get some answers.

We're in the middle of a kitchen reno, and we've come to electrical now. We are going to be replacing our old central fluorescent fixture that sits in the drop ceiling. We are keeping the drop ceiling because we would have to redo all the plumbing and electrical higher if we wanted to drywall, which is outside our skillset and budget. We'd like to do recessed lighting instead this time, but can't really swing putting real traditional cans up in to the ceiling of the kitchen the way it is. I was excited to see the availability of the "spring clip"/wafer type LED lights, seeing that contractors just pop them up into the ceiling drywall with no need for cans or a bracket/brace. So, I thought we'd be good to go, but as I did more research, I found that in some circles, the advice is that doing this on a drop ceiling tile is not supported. I even found a "pan" that can be used directly on a t-bar above the tile we want in order to provide support. I'm really looking for guidance in general with this lighting project, but my main question is, can I just pop those lights into the tile (traditional mineral fiber) like they do with drywall, or is the "pan" a must in our case? We do have a licensed electrician willing to install these for us, so wiring is not an issue. I'm just wanting to make sure we do it "right". If I can get away without the pans, that would be a savings, but I also am aware of how much I just don't know about all this, so if it's needed, it's needed. Could anyone provide advice to that end? And, would all "canless" types work for this type of install, or would I need a certain kind? I don't know what the rules are here for brand recommendations, but I am absolutely open to suggestion in that regard.

Another general question I had is in terms of layout. Having never used recessed lighting, I'm at a loss as to the placement and number of fixtures needed for the kitchen in order to meet, and preferably exceed, the light level the large central fixture gave us. It seems that opinions online are very conflicted, and I'm sure I'll have some contrasting opinions here too. That's okay, I just want to minimize the holes I put in the tiles before we're settled on a good layout. We are planning on a small pendant above the sink, under cabinet lights, and a somewhat dark-looking (from the photo) semi-flush mount, upward facing Tiffany-style light centrally in the room. The basics of the kitchen are: L-shaped layout, no island just the L shape using wall mounted cabinets, and the room is 12x22'. Ceiling height is 8 feet.

And, if it's more appropriate for me to ask the layout part in a separate thread, please do let me know and I will separate it out. Being new, I'm not 100% sure of the etiquette in this community yet, but I thank you all in advance for your wisdom and advice!

Comments (5)