SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_631279950

Bouganvillea with Virus?

HU-631279950
3 years ago

Hi. My bouganvillea seems to have a strange disease and I`m having a hard time trying to treat it... I`ve already checked bugs, soil, fertilizers, sun and water. But it is still doing the same thing (and it seems to be cyclical: the leaves start curling and it spreads to all its branches. Actually, they it seems that some healthy leaves start curling and other leaves born already entirely curled.

Can it be a virus? If so, how to treat?

Comments (4)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 years ago

big city location plz ....

any chance at a recent cold event? .. or the alternative.. moving it out into full sun without hardening it off???

ken

HU-631279950 thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

Looks like chemical/herbicide damage. Viruses are not common with bougs and they do not present like that. Can you describe how/where this is planted? Any chance of it being exposed to lawn chemicals/weed killers?

HU-631279950 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 years ago

i thought the same.. but it looks like one cluster of damaged leaves.. right in the center of the plant ... not the place i would suspect chemical drift or some such....

HU-631279950 thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • HU-631279950
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Ken and Gardengal. There wasn`t any cold event... Not chemical/herbicide damaged neither. The only chemical I`ve applied, but is was 30 days ago, was sulfur, trying to combat this "disease" (but didn`t work...); but the disease started years ago! The plant is exposed to sun. Not full sun, but half day of direct sun (till noon). And, as I`m in Rio de Janeiro, it should be enough, I guess.

The boug is planted in a large vase. Trying to fix the problem, I`ve re-planted the boug 6-7 month ago (and changed the whole soil, and pruned the bad leaves). It seemed to work in the beginning. But at sudden the leaves started to curl again, and they are now the way it were before... (as you see in the photos).

Any thoughts and help is much appreciated!