SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
psyohe

Pictures needed of cabinets before stone tops were installed

Peke
3 years ago

Does anyone have pictures of their base cabinets' interiors before the stone countertops were installed?

My plumber told me that my new vanity cabinets ($2000) would not support the stone tops. The plumbing, heating and air company has recently started building cabinets, framing, etc. So, I don't know if he is trying to drum up business or not.

I live in a rural area, and most people are self-taught. It is difficult to find licensed plumbing and electrical contractors, but no license needed for general contractors. Our state just started requiring roofers to have a license. Just a little backwards here!

Just because I have put up drywall before, doesn't mean I am a drywall contractor, but around here that is what happens.

I think 3/4" plywood was used. I know there is no particle board or MDF in the cabinet. I think the wood was glued and nailed in. The face frames have what I think are pocket screws, but I may be wrong. The top corners do not have any corner bracing. I don't see a lot of horizontal support either. My wood table and chairs have corner bracing so why wouldn't cabinets?

I noticed that there is no vertical wall between the drawer section and the under sink section. My other cabinets have that wall, and the same guy built all of the cabinets in my house. He built for the previous owners, and some of those cabinets are 25 and 35 years old, but they did not have to support stone tops. I know the weight is displaced over the entire surface of the cabinet, but they just don't look sturdy to me. Millworkman also said they didn't look sturdy enough, and I think he is right.

The cabinet below is 48" x 22". What can I do to add support to make it strong enough to hold a stone countertop? If I could see pictures of the inside framing of cabinets, it might give me an idea.

I Googled woodworking sites, and they all said 3/4" plywood was important in case of a leak.

The cabinet guy built all the cabinets wrong. He told me he would draw it up and send me dimensions. He did not. I had no idea where the drawers would be. I know that in cities, designers do that job, but not here. As soon as I saw the first one I ordered, I knew it would need rebuilt. He did not pay attention to where the plumbing and cutoffs were. He redid the upstairs bath cabinet. He didn't want to but he did. 35" long with no stone top on it.

He built the 48" hall bath cabinet with extra wide drawers on the right side where the plumbing was. Again, he did not send dimensions or a drawing. He took it back and put drawers on either side. He brought it back and you can see the stain on the base is horrible. We can probably fix that. He was mad that he had to fix the cabinet, so it is not well built. The backs of the boxes that hold the drawers are all different heights. He just slopped through it. It needs vertical plywood to separate the under sink section from the drawer sections.

Pocket screws??? Staples??? You can see the varying heights of the boxes. Did he use soft wood for the frames? Is that normal?

The exterior frame is glued and nailed.

Not much support vertically or horizontally.

We only ordered two cabinets, but he made three. He told me he wanted to make the third cabinet because he was moving to Florida, but I told him to NOT make it. He made it anyway. He delivered the third cabinet, and screwed it up too. The hot cutoff sticks out in front of the cabinet on the concrete because he did not pay attention how deep the cabinet was. I told him that he was only supposed to build two cabinets. I told him he would have to take it back until we figure out what to do. He called a couple of weeks later and told my husband that he had fixed it. I was not at home. My husband accepted the cabinet and paid him in full. Now the man lives in Florida, so we have to figure out how to fix the cabinets. He did not fix it.

52" master bath vanity

We removed one of the side panels because we were going to put a 24" panel on each side so it would cover the hot cutoff now. Then we realized that with the L shape, the under sink door would be under the make up/knee area. He just built this cabinet the way he wanted to without asking us. He did know that we were using a stone countertop, and he knew there was going to be another cabinet to finish the L. That side is at a lower level than the sink cabinet.

When we took the old cabinets out, we found really old plumbing in the wall, so we can use it. Now that hot water cutoff is not a problem.

So, nothing I can do since the cabinet guy is gone. He should not have been paid, but my husband paid him. I know lots of things went wrong, but I need to move on from what we did wrong and what he did wrong. I really don't want to pay for this again.

What can I do to add the support needed? Thanks.

Comments (9)