SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canyonwind

FOTESS OCTOBER~~~SOUPS ON~~~

canyonwind
3 years ago

FOTESS OCTOBER……”SOUPS ON”

Happy Fall to all!!

I, for one, am ready for cooler weather. The crisp Evenings, the gentle winds, the warmth of the crackling fireplace and the scent of pine and rustic wood are so very welcoming. And Cooler weather brings on hearty, comfort soup. So…..Yes, this month will be as easy as soup!!

For your partner……..

*send direct to your partner, from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds (rareseeds.com), 2 packets of seeds that would be delicious in a homemade soup. Herbs or vegetables or beans or ??????.

AND

*send to your partner via EMAIL or HOUZZ PM, a SOUP RECIPE that turns you on or one that you have on your list to make.

No one will have to go to the Post Office or put a stamp(s) on an envelope.

*Partners posted October 8

*Let’s try and have the seeds and soup recipes delivered to partners by October 26. My last order from Baker Creek took about a week to receive, so keep that in mind.

GAMES…..

The Preakness Stakes (Horse Race) will be running on Saturday, October 3

When you sign up to swap, please pick a horse. At this time 11 horses are in the running. If you pick a horse that is scratched….sorry. As each person picks a horse….put your name next to the horses name and carry the entire list down, so that the next person knows what horses have been chosen and what is still up for grabs. I doubt that there will be 11 FOTESSERS swapping as things have been rather slow on HOUZZ…..so on Friday night, depending on how many people have signed up, I will have my beloved Black Lab choose an additional horse for those that have signed up. I have to leave Saturday Morning and will not return until Monday night, so I have to move quickly here.

The HORSES…2020 PREAKNESS STAKES

1. Excession
  2. Mr. Big News
  3. Art Collector
  4. Swiss Skydiver
  5. Thousand Words
  6. Jesus’ Team
  7. NY Traffic
  8. Max Player
  9. Authentic
  10. Pneumatic
  11. Live Your Beast Life

GOOD LUCK…..Prizes WIN, PLACE and SHOW

As well, we will be playing BINGO. I will try to get that up before I leave. If not, I will post that after I return.

Happy Evening! Happy October……………..BBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Annie

Comments (292)

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener
    3 years ago

Amy sorry I did not get the seeds.

• amybabyboy3
    3 years ago

Susan, I sent you a message with tracking and delivery info. I will reorder in a day or two if you do not receive them. I am sorry! Amy

• Related Discussions

2nd Annual FOTESS Yard Sale!

Q

Comments (106)
    Melinda, so sorry to hear about your poor health but I sure hope you are on the mend soon. I am encouraged to see that you feel ok enough to post on GW!! Thoughts of good health are headed your way! Margo, so sorry to hear about your friend Mona being diagnosed with cancer. I hope everything turns out for the best. It's amazing how much things like this impact us all. I'm trying to narrow down choices for the yard sale. It's hard!! Shirley, As requested: my pet robin. As of this week, baby robin has finally become independent. Yesterday was the first day s/he didn't answer me when I called, which means the robin raising was a success!
    ...See More

new: jan. 2014 fotess swap: opposite day

Q

Comments (141)
    Happy Opposite Day, everyone! It's finally here and all of the packages have been received. I think that makes it a good day (... or do I say a bad day?) The creativity in this swap was outstanding! I hope we get to do this swap again one year. I think some of us may look for some other weird days to celebrate for future swaps. I haven't done a bit of winter sowing this year so I hope my back allows for that soon. Of course, it has been extra cold here lately so I might now want to be out there anyway. Do some of you prepare your winter sowing containers indoors and then move them outside once they are planted? I've done that if I want to plant them on a really cold day. Of course, bringing the soil inside is kind of a mess! Usually I just prepare everything in the garage and then move the containers so they are totally outside. Thanks, everyone, for participating. Sharon, I'm glad you are starting to feel better and your package arrived okay. It won't be long and the February swap will begin. Of course, keep chatting here if you like. I think only the game prizes are still "in flight." Jeanne
    ...See More

NEW: MAY FOTESS, ~~~"FOTESS MOMMIES"~~~

Q

Comments (249)
    Beth....LOL!!! It is all about fun!!!!! Confusion makes it even more fun!!! Playing "FOTESS MOMMIES" and giving THANKS to Jeanne and Shirley this past month of May...........THANKS Jeanne and Shirley!!!! *Shirley...(brittneysgran)...SENT...Jeanne REC/Shirley REC *Nicole...(bluee19)...SENT....Shirley REC/Jeanne REC *Darrin...(cryptid)....SENT....Jeanne REC/ Shirley REC *Erica...(ericabraun)....SENT...... Jeanne REC/ Shirley REC *Peggy...(canfan)....SENT to Jeanne and Shirley...Shirley REC *Margo (smitties)...SENT....Jeanne REC/Shirley REC *Heidi (xiangirl)....SENT...Jeanne REC/Shirley REC *Katie (kchd)...SENT...Jeanne REC/Shirley REC *Faye (nottougly)....SENT....Jeanne REC/Shirley REC *Mandy (l1onnes)...SENT...Jeanne REC/Shirley REC *Beth (beth_b_kodiak)....SENT to Shirley and Shirley (LOL!) and Jeanne....Jeanne REC *Annie...(canyonwind)...SENT....Jeanne REC/Shirley REC Happy Wednesday! Annie
    ...See More

FOTESS (Feb.) The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Q

Comments (218)
    It's here! It's here! It's here! I know Beth is probably just about as excited as I am. It's a stress when you wonder what happened to a package you sent. First pictures: And the whole package: Thanks so much, Beth. The light isn't that great in my kitchen so the photos don't do this justice. The teacup charm is adorable - Bird in a nest, another tiny bird, charms and flowers dangling on the ribbons, and the green and yellow are the perfect look for Spring. In my swap I had gummy worms, a note card and another card, cosmos cupcake seeds, paper napkins with a great party look, and my teas are Sweet & Spicy and Earl Grey. Well worth the wait! (By the way, Beth, that hummus container that you packed the charm in did the trick. It got here in perfect condition even after all that traveling.) Jeanne
    ...See More
  • canyonwind
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Amy and Susan, keep me posted on the missing/lost seed order. I hope it turns up.

No BINGO yet, so we shall continue.......

I LOVE OCTOBER BINGO

Visiting Golden Retrievers tonight had fetching duties.......Cheers and Dreamy

did the honors. Took them a while to get the hang of it but Annie had treats to entice them....good girls!!

11.National Vodka Day (Oct 4)

41.Put COVID aside...Stop and smell the roses and the SOUP

And our little BINGO game

Jeanne and Emily.....BUZZ....BUZZ (Tuesday guesses)

A clue for Wednesday........

4.....yes that is all you get.......4........LOL!

Tata,

Annie

• pinkiris
    3 years ago

44. Witche's Brew Black Sangria

11. National Vodka Day (Oct 4)

• Melinda Hagen
    3 years ago

I received my great seeds from Urooj!

Roma tomato

Emily basil

People Vienna kohl rahi

Thanks so much!!

• jdmom78
    3 years ago

i tried to post yesterday but i guess it got lost....

glad you got the seeds Melinda. seems like we are all going to be planting kohlrabi this year. lol

still no bingo. little doggie has not pulled any of my words in a long time.

• jdmom78
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Let me try this again...

Ruth, sometimes we do use canned tomatoes. most of the time its fresh tomatoes and my husband has taught my daughter to boil them and then put them in ice to remove the peel and then cook them. its quite a messy process on the day we make this soup. also we don't use as much tomato juice as the recipe calls for. definitely more tomatoes and less juice for a more hearty soup.

Susan has motivated me to try decoupage... here is what i bought from Ikea to organize my seeds. one for seeds and gardening supplies and the other for pens, pencils etc... I will use the pressed flower paper i purchased in thailand on my honeymoon in 2001 for this project. wish me luck.

also saved some orchids from Kroger a few days back... lets see if they make it... i had been on the lookout for some new ones since my greenhouse debacle this summer. im up to 4 now. these 3 i just purchased and 1 orange one that my brother bought me when he came to visit back in september.

its super cold here this week and i have not picked the final bunch of items off of my plants. i hope they survive the week until i go back outside... i had some melons on the vine, and a few tomatoes finally...

p.s. you have to click the pictures to see the full pictures.

• gardengirl37232
    3 years ago

1. Candy corn
  • bluee19
    3 years ago

Happy Wednesday Everyone. I am looking forward to making some of these soups since the weather has been cooler. Great idea Miss Annie for our swap this month!!

My guesses for today:

15.Evaluate Your Life Day (Oct 19)

39.Old World Peasant Soup

3 years ago

Amy sorry about the delayed response. I just saw your message and my address is correct. I am going to the post office during my lunch break tomorrow to see if they can help track down the seeds. This is not your fault at all so please don't feel badly about it. I know my husband goes to the mailbox faithfully every day and brings me all my mail and I haven't received anything. I don't know what could have happened with them. I will keep you posted with what I find out.

• canyonwind
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Good Morning/Afternoon FOTESSERS,

Whoops...did not make it on here yesterday,,,,,

SOUPS ON PARTNERS

Looks like Jeanne and Shirley have yet to receive there seeds from Baker Creek and Susan's seeds are MIA. Susan, let us know what you find out at the PO.

*Melinda sends to Urooj- SEEDS RECEIVED, RECIPE SENT/POSTED

*Urooj sends to Melinda - SEEDS RECEIVED, RECIPE SENT/POSTED

*Mandy sends to Nicole-SEEDS RECEIVED, RECIPES SENT/POSTED

*Nicole sends to Mandy-SEEDS RECEIVED, RECIPE SENT/POSTED

*Jeanne sends to Shirley-SEEDS ORDERED, RECIPES SENT/POSTED

*Shirley sends to Jeanne - SEEDS ORDERED, RECIPE SENT/POSTED

*Jayeanne sends to Annie-SEEDS RECEIVED, RECIPE SENT/POSTED

*Annie sends to Jayeanne-SEEDS RECEIVED, RECIPE SENT/POSTED

*Susan N sends to Amy-SEEDS RECEIVED, RECIPE SENT/POSTED

*Amy sends to Susan N--SEEDS ORDERED/MIA, RECIPE SENT/POSTED

*Ruth sends to Emily-SEEDS RECEIVED, RECIPE SENT/POSTED

*Emily sends to Ruth-SEEDS RECEIVED, RECIPE SENT/POSTED

I LOVE OCTOBER BINGO

Four fetches today from Baby J....just for you.

39. Old World Peasant Soup

38. Navy Day (Oct 27)

49. I am ready for CHRISTMAS...LOL!!

Our Little Bingo Game

Jayeanne, Emily and Nicole......BUZZ....BUZZ....BUZZ on Wednesday guesses.

Clue....one of these was guessed yesterday but 1 was not

Annie

3 years ago

Look what finally made its way to my mailbox today!!! I called the post office this morning and they said they didn’t find anything but suddenly my package appeared. Hmmmmm. Thank you Amy for the wonderful basil and thyme seeds! I look forward to growing my them and more wonderful soups with fresh herbs in fall of 2021.

• pinkiris
    3 years ago

BINGO

• canyonwind
    Original Author
    3 years ago

WOW.....Jayeanne that was fast!! Congrats!! Everyone check your BINGO cards. If anyone else has BINGO, PLEASE call it. You will win as well!

Susan, very interesting......mysteriously the package arrived.....HHHHHHHMMMMM, your not kidding! I am glad you finally received.

• pinkiris
    3 years ago

LOL ... thankful for notifications haha ... have been waiting on one number and saw it was called.

• canyonwind
    Original Author
    3 years ago

FOTESSERS, don't forget to sign up to host during for the coming year....2021. It is just around the corner. Ruth and I have signed up........come on FOTESSERS......you can do it. If you have not hosted before, don't over think it....just have fun!! LINK below!!

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6007710/fotess-hostess-sign-ups-for-2021#n=3

Annie

• sandlapper_rose
    3 years ago

Thanks for posting that reminder, Annie.

Annie, if it's okay with you and Shirley, if Shirley hasn't received her seeds by Saturday I will send seeds from a local garden/feed store the following week. I just don't understand how both Shirley and I had problems with Baker Creek this time. I don't even know if they charged for the seeds or not, but the seeds were ordered weeks ago. I'll be sure to check my credit card bill to see what they did. The emails they sent to me did nothing but confuse me. If the garden/feed store doesn't have seeds, I'll send some from my at home collection.

• gardengirl37232
    3 years ago

Congratulations, Jayeanne!

• gardengirl37232
    3 years ago
    1. Candy corn

1. I am ready for Christmas...LOL!!
  • jdmom78
    3 years ago

good job jayeanne. baby J is not pulling my bingo words. we need to have a little talk...

• bluee19
    3 years ago

I need one more bingo word, come on doggies!!

congrats Jayene!!

happy Friday eve!!

• canyonwind
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jeanne, no problem!! Do what works for you!! And Shirley, do what works for you as well.

BINGO is over.....no more fetching by Baby J. In my earlier post, I was telling you to check your BINGO cards as there very might be more than one winner after I posted 4 fetches for today. I have not checked all of your BINGO cards to see if there are other winners. I will take a look later.

Our Little BINGO Game....Emily....BUZZ. Today, you are worse off than you were yesterday....LOL! You can guess again today.

• amybabyboy3
    3 years ago

Susan, yay I am happy they arrived. I saw on my order that one was out of stock but I am glad those made it and I hope you can use them in your soup!

• pinkiris
    3 years ago

ANNA VANNA .... so glad you dont give the farm away LOL .... baby J wouldnt have a place to sleep or fetch BINGO .... LOL!

been doing cleanup after this tropical storm ravaged through, so thankful we are OK here and didnt loose power, so many folks south and north of us, have no power right now

Ill guess ....

14. Im a witch everyday, not just for Halloween - unkown

• canyonwind
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jayeanne...Ding...Ding...Ding...you guessed correctly. You win a prize...two prizes in one day.

• gardengirl37232
    3 years ago

Congratulations, again, Jayeanne! Looks like you are the big winner today!

3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Congratulations Jayeanne and everyone else that won bingo! I was sooo close with just one word to go.

Amy, thanks again for the seeds. They are perfect. I use herbs in my cooking and in my tea recipes that I am always experimenting with. These will both work nicely in my soups and in my teas. I have vowed to grow herbs in the garden so that I don't have so many problems with deer and other critters. This year I was constantly battling the ground hogs, squirrels, deer and rabbits in my vegetable garden. Even though the backyard area is fenced, the still find a way. The advantage of growing herbs is they don't seem to care for them. So I am looking very much forward to a nice herb and flower cutting garden next year.

For everyone experiencing the weather issues across the country, I pray that things will get better on that front soon. The wildfires have been awful and this hurricane season has been one of the most active on record. Many places that don't usually have snow or at least have snow this early are getting significant amounts...it has been crazy. And we all know someone or have family members affected by this awful virus, Covid 19. I pray that all will be well, for healing and strength for everyone, for our nation, and for our world.

Annie, you are an amazing hostess and this month was so much fun! Thank you for being a bright spot in an otherwise scary October. You always make me smile!

On that note, I am going to join the thousands of Americans in saying I can't wait for this year to be over....and perhaps may break my traditions and start decorating for Christmas early...like tomorrow early...lol.

Stay safe everyone and be well !!!

• pinkiris
    3 years ago

thanks ladies, and thank YOU Annie for a such a FUN month!

• canyonwind
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Susan, I am with you as far as decorating early for Christmas. I have decorated in November a few years in the past. People thought I was nuts......not my problem...LOL! It was done and enjoyed until January.....end of story. Susan, maybe I will start decorating tomorrow, "Halloween"......thank you for the inspiration.

Question for you ladies in the Southern states.....Amy, Jeanne, Jayeanne, Ruth, Urooj etc....

I get Farmers Almanac updates every day....tells you what to plant, what not to do etc.....It gives dates in November to plant corn. Have any of you ever planted corn in November? or Cucumbers? I know not one person who gardens out here that has planted corn or cucumbers here in October or November. Just curious!!!

Game prizes for the month of October......

Emily WIN...The Preakness

Jeanne PLACE and SHOW...The Preakness

Emily....Annie Goes To Costco WINNER

Jayeanne....I LOVE OCTOBER BINGO WINNER

Jayeanne...Our Little BINGO Game WINNER

Did I forget anyone????? I will get prizes out when I do...LOL! I will let you WINNERS know when that happens.

Congratulations! Thanks FOTESSERS for playing these sometimes corny games. Corny is good.....it keeps us sane and happy....well, I think so!!

Maybe today or tomorrow, Jeanne and Shirley will receive there seeds......fingers crossed.

So sorry, that many of you had issues with Baker Creek.

Happy day!!

Annie

• pinkiris
    3 years ago

Annie ... I was just thinking of trying cucumbers again just to see what will happen, they seem to enjoy cooler weather, here anyways. I actually have newer tomato plants out there just planted not long ago and they are flowering. will try and get a photo ... the plants are not as big as they would be when it is warmer.

found this guy out in the garden today

• gardengirl37232
    3 years ago

Annie, thanks for a super fun month! I am a little late but planning to get my fall garden set up this weekend and plant some of those nice seeds that Ruth sent, including the kohlrabi that we all got!

• ruthz
    3 years ago

I don't plant corn at all. I think I'd need a lot more room. I do grow cucumbers but have never planted them in fall. I do still have vines with cucumbers on them.

• jdmom78
    3 years ago

i have never planted cucumbers in november. i dont winter garden but have considered it since we dont have harsh winters.

went to check my plants today and everything is fine and doing well. no frost. the tomatoes are happy happy. they are the one from spring who came back in the fall.

i will try corn. i have space for a few stalks. i have space for cucumbers too. i may just do it all. should i throw the seeds in the ground or are we doing seedlings indoors for this?

annie, we had a great time. loved the games! super creative. is November posted yet? i signed up for April for next year!

• sandlapper_rose
    3 years ago

I can't imagine corn or cucumbers making it as a fall crop here. We have a night time temperature low of 37 degrees forecast in the next few days. I have had pepper plants survive most of the winter but that's because I keep them potted and in the garage for most of the winter and they are already mature sized plants.

I picked some Mexican Midget tomatoes today but I don't expect any more to be able to ripen. I really did start them too late this year. The other tomatoes that did well for this year were German Lunchbox. They didn't have quite long enough, but I picked a few ripe ones and they were delicious! The thing I noticed about planting late is that my tomato plants had no diseases and no pest problems. That is very unusual here. I have basil that is growing in containers but even in the garage they won't make it much longer.

Okay, an update on the seeds. Shirley mailed an envelope with Baker Creek seeds directly to me and the receipts. Shirley, the free seed packet and the Giant Musselburgh Leeks were intended for you, You are listed as the shipping address and sent by me (my billing address). I will send them back to you and include another packet if I can buy one ... or from my choices here at home. Anyway, from Baker's Creek - by way of Shirley - I received Chinese Pink Celery and Sunburst Heliopsis which looks perfect for my garden. Thank you so much! I will return the other 2 to you and add another pack so you have 2 packs and the free seeds. I am going to assume that by now the other 2 packs I ordered for you never got processed. (I ordered them after it looked like only 1 purchased pack and 1 free pack were being processed.) So sorry there is all the confusion.

As for the leeks, I have made a delicious creamed soup with leaks and potatoes. I can't find a recipe that I used though. Perhaps I just added what I had on hand. They do make a delicious soup!

Annie, thanks for being hostess. You did a fantastic job, as usual.

• amybabyboy3
    3 years ago

Annie, I have not planted corn in the Fall but our pool guy said now is the time to plant corn and tomatoes. Thank you for a fun month of swapping! Take care, Amy

• brittneysgran
    3 years ago

Jeanne Bakers Creek sent me your seeds so I did turn around and sent them out to you. I didn't order the onions but that was what they sent so I added some flower seeds in the pkg I had ordered awhile back.

Annie thanks for a fun month, you always have an awesome swap.

• sandlapper_rose
    3 years ago

Shirley, you have sent everything you need to me so it's all fine. Thank you. I will re-send the leeks and the free seeds and will include another pack so you will have the 2 bought packages and the free ones that Baker Creek included. How did we manage to get so many bumps in the road? I guess it was a "trick" for Halloween!

• canyonwind
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Happy Halloween FOTESSERS!!

Thanks for your feedback on planting cucumbers and corn in November. I think I will give the cucumbers a go....plant directly outside and see what happens.

Partners ~~~ SOUPS ON ~~~

Very weird month regarding Bakers Creek. I think every one of us had some issue with them/needed to contact them. Jayeanne's order for me was sent to her as well. She in turn sent the seeds to me. My order for Jayeanne....on my email receipt, they put her down as the billing address....HHHHMMMM. I did contact them immediatley via email and they got back to me promptly saying the order was fine. As well, I checked with my credit card company....no problem. Very strange indeed!!

*Melinda sends to Urooj- SEEDS RECEIVED, RECIPE SENT/POSTED

*Urooj sends to Melinda - SEEDS RECEIVED, RECIPE SENT/POSTED

*Mandy sends to Nicole-SEEDS RECEIVED, RECIPES SENT/POSTED

*Nicole sends to Mandy-SEEDS RECEIVED, RECIPE SENT/POSTED

*Jeanne sends to Shirley-SEEDS RECEIVED, RECIPES SENT/POSTED

*Shirley sends to Jeanne - SEEDS RECEIVED, RECIPE SENT/POSTED

*Jayeanne sends to Annie-SEEDS RECEIVED, RECIPE SENT/POSTED

*Annie sends to Jayeanne-SEEDS RECEIVED, RECIPE SENT/POSTED

*Susan N sends to Amy-SEEDS RECEIVED, RECIPE SENT/POSTED

*Amy sends to Susan N--SEEDS RECEIVED RECIPE SENT/POSTED

*Ruth sends to Emily-SEEDS RECEIVED, RECIPE SENT/POSTED

*Emily sends to Ruth-SEEDS RECEIVED, RECIPE SENT/POSTED

I love swapping with you ladies....always a pleasure. And your soup selections.....OUTSTANDING!!

Thank You!! I am having some friends coming over for Election night Tuesday night.....Soup will be on the menu!

I think there might be some goblins, witches and God knows what else, roaming the streets tonight. Please be safe!! 90 plus degree weather out here for the next few days....more wind to come as well. Besides cucumbers, need to get some Fava Beans, Snow peas, beets, kale and lettuce in the ground. So much to do and never enough time. But I do better living on the edge....LOL!

Happy day!!

Annie

• Melinda Hagen
    3 years ago

Really enjoyed this swap! Lots new soup recipes and new seeds!! They will be used! Thanks Annie for hosting!

• sandlapper_rose
    3 years ago

Happy Halloween! I went out just a few minutes ago and didn't even notice the spider on this zinnia when I took the picture, but how perfect for Halloween. Everything blooming in my yard is very pink right now.

• brittneysgran
    3 years ago

Jeanne-LOL goodness can't believe those onions were mine. Yes tricks for sure. I posted Novembers Fotess swap. Made it super easy for everyone.

• jdmom78
    3 years ago

how creepy jeanne. oh my god. i showed my girls, they were screaming!!!

• jdmom78
    3 years ago

my local planting group thinks im crazy for suggesting cucumbers and corn right now... where are you amy? i forgot... and where are you annie??? are your winters milder than ours?

• sandlapper_rose
    3 years ago

Seeds once again heading your way, Shirley. It turned out the farm/garden place did not have seed packets so I included one I had from here at home.

• jdmom78
    3 years ago

Melinda i just made the soup and instead of sausage i threw in some canned black beans at the end and its delicious! thanks for the recipe!

• canyonwind
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jeanne, Emily and Jayeanne.... I just sent you emails.

• brittneysgran
    3 years ago

Thank you Jeanne but you did not have to do that. What you sent was totally fine.

Thanks

• brittneysgran
    3 years ago

Happy Veterans Day to our Son - Steve Speed (Marine Corps)

• sandlapper_rose
    3 years ago

I received my prizes from Annie. Thanks so much and thanks for all the fun you created for October.

• pinkiris
    3 years ago

Thank you Annie for the very generous prizes you sent this way, everything will be used, love them all! Many thanks!