SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meres636

New windows, siding, Nantucket dormer addition

Doggiedoc
3 years ago

Thanks in advance for any input and opinions. I’m struggling greatly with choosing windows and siding for my house remodel in New England. The house is currently yellow with a mix of windows and an obnoxious salt box roof. We’ll be adding a dormer to break up the salt box and in the process will be replacing all the windows and siding and changing the front door to face the street (it currently faces toward the sliding glass doors on the deck and isn’t visible from the road). I’ll either be using Andersen A series or Marvin Elevate depending on the estimates, with Hardie siding and trim.

My debate on the windows stems from my husband not wanting any window grids as he thinks they look too busy and block views. They also add significantly to the cost. The house has been added onto so many times that it doesn’t have a distinct style to dictate window grids. I favor Craftsman or coastal cottage design with clean lines, chunky white trim, blues, grays, and wood or stone elements. Would the house look strange without the upper grids as shown in my architect’s rendering?

For siding I was thinking of either cladding the dormer in a different color or the same color but using the Hardie cedar panels there and plank on everything else. Alternatively I think stone around the front door with uniform siding could look nice but may be too traditional. Also, we’re not installing a pergola on the deck as shown in the drawing and will be removing the shutters from the lower windows that face the street.

I can post the other elevations if they’d help but this is the only side visible from the street and therefore the most important to me.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21