SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erin_luke97

fireplace update... what to do

Erin Luke
3 years ago

Hello all! So before I begin I want to preface that I realize this might be blasphemous to some, but there’s a method to my madness. Basically, we’re buying a 1906 home. It needs a lot of updating. The house has some great details and pulls from many design eras; Victorian and arts and crafts details are found throughout. It’s a cool mix. However something that isn’t working for us is the fireplace. The plan is to actually remove these windows (reuse them in the mudroom above the washer and dryer) and add doors on either side of the fireplace so we have an entrance to the backyard (currently the only way to get outside is through the kitchen and then the mudroom and is like a nice patio outside of this family room.

The fireplace just misses the mark in my opinion, unless I’m missing something about this. I love a Victorian marble fireplace mantel. But I’d love to get some opinions on what we should replace this with, or how we might be make this one more interesting and beautiful. The doors will go in although I realize these windows would be great with some built ins beneath.

Send me your fav fireplaces. I’ve included a photo of the fireplace in questions as well as other views of the room in it’s pre-reno stage.

Thanks all!

Comments (15)