SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maddybeagle

Surface for stairs for elderly dogs and people?

maddybeagle
3 years ago

As part of a remodel, we are moving my basement stairs and constructing them to be as safe as possible for aging in place (U-shaped stair, gentle rise and generous run as far as the space allows). I'm wondering about the best low-maintenance option for the stair surface that would have the safest possible foot traction for aging people and also make the stairs as feasible as possible for little aging dog feet to grip, too.

I've seen cork stairs I loved in a historic/modern house, but I hear cork can be tricky on stairs in terms of durability and how the nosings hold up. I'd thought of rubber but read some good older threads here about what a pain that is to get installed and maintain. The basement will have LVP and that's a possibility, though I'm not sure it's as slip-resistant as I'd like. The kitchen will have Marmoleum and I could use the same thing on the stairs if you think that would be a viable choice, though the cautions in their literature about stair nosings are a bit discouraging. The mudroom will have non-slip tile, but I don't really want to use that hard a surface on the stairs even if it's very nonslip. I'd really like to avoid having to carpet the stairs or add treads that would collect dog hair etc.

This is a one-level house with a finished basement, no upstairs. The staircase on the main level will open onto the hallway linking my study, mudroom, and kitchen, and will be a bit of a design feature itself, with internal windows looking onto the stairwell, so these aren't just basement stairs that will always be hidden behind a door in the dark. There will be a fairly large outside window in the wall above the stair landing.

Thanks!

Comments (9)